Mac4Lin on XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
indrg

Re: Mac4Lin on XFCE

Post by indrg »

Hi You should do your research on light-weight dock on google. I too was trying to enhance my XFCE's ook. I decided on wbar light-weight dock for my xfce mint. I found better looking dock like GNOME DO Docky but it is still GNOME. I did not go all the way to make my XFCE 6's look exactly like Mac OSX. I looked into the Mac4Lin installation script and only installed the OS X icons, pointers manually. I customized wbar to look like OSX using the application icons I downloaded from Mac4Lin. Now I have great looking Mint XFCE 6 desktop with OSX icons, pointers with light-weight dock. . I do not care about Compiz stuff.

wbar and wbar conf info:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/topic/wbar ... unch-bar-1
http://kapsi.fi/ighea/wbarconf/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
infra_red_dude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by infra_red_dude »

I'd suggest wbar too. Its a light weight dock. I dunno how powerful your netbook is, but I've found cairo dock to work great on limited resource system (the non-opengl version). Be aware though that you will need to enable the Xfce compositor for either of the docks.
Ar-Pharazon

Post by Ar-Pharazon »

You could have a look at the Puppy Linux puplet X-Pup to see what tools that uses for its "Mac-a-like" appearance and see if they are in the repositories

http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/puplets/x-pup
JBHoren

Post by JBHoren »

OK; it's almost three years later, and Linux Mint, XFCE, and Mac4Lin have all progressed, each one growing ever-closer to "perfection".

The "original" Mac4Lin is outdated -- doesn't seem to be anything happening on the project website, other than reader comments -- the last (v1.0) version was released mid-November 2009. A "fork" -- by the folks at Make Tech Easier -- was been released in June 2010: Turn Your Ubuntu Lucid to Mac OS X (although the title references "Lucid", it works beautifully on my Linux Mint Debian Edition, Xfce edition, v201204).

Speaking of "my" installation, it's worth noting that it's a virtual one, running in VMplayer/3.1.5 with 512MB RAM allocated, and the underlying hardware is a dual 1.4GHz PIII CPU with 2GB RAM, running Linux Mint 11, Gnome edition.

And the LMDE/Xfce duo do work fast... and smoothly. That is, once Flash-heavy websites are closed in multiple-tabs on Firefox -- what a resource hog! Closing two pages (both mainstream, commercial newspaper sites) brought the load down to a workable 1.40, from a much higher 3.03.

Next step: Installing LMDE/Xfce w/Mac4Lin on my Asus EeePC 1005PEB, which sports an Intel Atom N450 @1.6GHz and 2GB RAM.

jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Try using the XPCE panel itself (it's very nice if using with/in a compositionig destop) and has a lot of tweaks/plugins/custom settings ect.) play around with :o

IF NOT try cario-dock or Docky both work good in XFCE even with Compiz

P.S. I use Walpapoz (version 6+ supports XFCE now) cause having only different wallpaper per virtual desktop is only thing I need from compiz (a organizational/visual clue thing :P ) and reserve the resources/memory uses for other things (cairo-dock maybe) or running Apps.

J.Jay

Return to “Xfce”