Can't butn ISO to disc.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Clarino

Can't butn ISO to disc.

Post by Clarino »

Hi, I'm a total noob at this Linux malarkey, but I've been using Ubuntu for a few months and thought I'd try Mint to see if I liked it better.

Well, after a couple of false starts, I managed to download the ISO from the Torrent, but burning it to the disc just won't work.

Each time I try it ejects the DVD and says "there was an error in creating the disc".

It doesn't tell me what the error is, or give me any clue as to how I might overcome it.

I wondered if it was because I hadn't checked the MD5 signature, but I can't figure out how. The introduction PDF says to
open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

cd ~/Desktop
md5sum linuxmint-gnome-i386.iso
This command should output a series of numbers and letters which comprise the MD5
sum, or signature, of your ISO file. By design, any small change to the ISO file will cause
this signature to be significantly different, allowing us to verify that the file is exactly as
it should be.
Compare that signature with the one on the download page of the Linux Mint website. If
the two signatures are the same, then you know your ISO file is exactly the same as the
original and you can now get ready to burn it on DVD
Unfortunately, when I do this I just get
md5sum: linuxmint-gnome-i386.iso: No such file or directory
I'm stumped. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
K7plus1

Re: Can't butn ISO to disc.

Post by K7plus1 »

i had the same problem with the DVD image.
just switch to CD image. you can always upgrade to the DVD version after installation.
Clarino

Post by Clarino »

Thanks, I'll try it that way if I decide to try again. For now I've upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04.

Is there any particular advantage to using Mint over Ubuntu?
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Clarino wrote: Is there any particular advantage to using Mint over Ubuntu?
:lol:

Have you tried booting from USB http://usbtux.hostzi.com/livecd
mikecrosoft

Post by mikecrosoft »

Hello Clarino. The md5sum command output is telling you what's wrong "md5sum: linuxmint-gnome-i386.iso: No such file or directory"; the terminal is telling you the input for the md5sum command is incorrect, so you need to check that you are placed inside the directory where the image file is contained or to specify the full path. Here is an example:
I have downloaded a Mint image file in my Downloads folder and it's named Mint_imagefile.iso; so I launch a terminal emulator Ctrl+Alt+t and then type in and execute the following commands

cd /home/my_user_name_here/Downloads
md5sum Mint_imagefile.iso
Be sure the name of the image files is correct, you can use autocomplete feature by entering the first characters of the filename and hitting the tab key.
The same can be done specifying the full path:

md5sum /home/my_user_name_here/Downloads/Mint_imagefile.iso
About your burning problems you need to tell us which software you're using for this purpose and to attach the full error message, a screenshot or a log so we can try to figure out what's going wrong.
Hope this helps you!.
Clarino

Post by Clarino »

usbtux wrote:
Clarino wrote: Is there any particular advantage to using Mint over Ubuntu?
:lol:
What? Did I just ask a question so stupid it doesn't even get a serious answer? I just get laughed at? :(

Have you tried booting from USB

No, I tried to use a USB when I first tried to install Ubuntu onto a blank HDD, but it wouldn't cooperate. So I decided to stick with the method that worked first time out.

My virus protection doesn't like that link one bit.
Clarino

Post by Clarino »

mikecrosoft wrote:Hello Clarino. The md5sum command output is telling you what's wrong "md5sum: linuxmint-gnome-i386.iso: No such file or directory"; the terminal is telling you the input for the md5sum command is incorrect, so you need to check that you are placed inside the directory where the image file is contained or to specify the full path. Here is an example:
I have downloaded a Mint image file in my Downloads folder and it's named Mint_imagefile.iso; so I launch a terminal emulator Ctrl+Alt+t and then type in and execute the following commands

cd /home/my_user_name_here/Downloads
md5sum Mint_imagefile.iso
Be sure the name of the image files is correct, you can use autocomplete feature by entering the first characters of the filename and hitting the tab key.
The same can be done specifying the full path:

md5sum /home/my_user_name_here/Downloads/Mint_imagefile.iso
Most of that went right over my head. I'm not very tech savvy. I'll try working it through, but I'm not optimistic.

About your burning problems you need to tell us which software you're using for this purpose and to attach the full error message, a screenshot or a log so we can try to figure out what's going wrong.
Hope this helps you!.

I don't have my laptop with me at the moment (and no internet at home, unfortunately) so I can't give you much detail at this point. I doubt the error message would help you, since there isn't any code or detail in it, it just says "an error occurred". I'll try again in the near future and take a screenshot, to show you, if you think that will help. It may take a few days though.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

I recently had problems with disk burning too. But now I consider myself very experienced.

First I use a DVD/RW I get at Staples or Office Depot.

Next you have to make sure you know which disk burning software you are using and make sure the DVD/CD drive is working.

I recommend being thorough. Because if you don't have to burn and iso to a disk again for a while you may forget in the future and experience the same frustration.

When I first learned I used my laptop with Win7 and Magic Iso and it wouldn't work.

So I downloaded several other free disk burning software. I finally succeeded on the Win7 default disk burner.

When I finally got Linux Mint to installed, I now use Bracero or KD3 disk burning software.

QUESTION:
What disk burning software do you use?
mikecrosoft

Post by mikecrosoft »

Hello everyone. First at all try to do the md5sum check to be sure your download is not corrupted. I guess you're using windows:
My virus protection doesn't like that link one bit.
If you're still experiencing burning problems, you can easily create a bootable pendrive using this software in windows http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/, the process is really simple and I 've done this in the past so many times without any kind of issue. After the bootable linux pendrive is created you just need to change the boot sequence from the bios or in the bios splash you can hit a specified key to select the boot device; be aware that some computers can not boot from usb drives, specially old ones, so check this first. If booting from usb is not an option, try burning the iso image using another software; in windows you can use imgburn (is an excellent and free software) http://www.imgburn.com/. If still no luck maybe your dvd/cd burning unit is broken, so try to burn it in another pc if there is no chance to replace the unit. Hope this helps!.
Clarino

Post by Clarino »

Okay, the md5sum is fine. I was able to check it using the code supplied by mikecrosoft, but I still get an error burning the disc.

I tried to get a screenshot by pressing print screen, but when I pasted, it tried to paste the .iso image I had copied to create the DVD.

Irritating.

Never mind, I'll try using the USB drive and report back.
Clarino

Post by Clarino »

Okay, so none of the USB downloads will work. Everytime I try to open one, it says there was an error downloading it.

I guess I'm not getting Mint.
plinux

Post by plinux »

What download isn't working? The USB Installer or the ISO File?
I thought you already have the Linux Mint ISO-file
If so, start the "Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.9.6.exe" (if you have a newer version it's fine too!). Next step you select the Linux Distribution (example: "Linux Mint 12 Gnome DVD"in the first dropdown-menu. Then you click on "browse" to open your Linux Mint ISO-File. After that you simply select your USB's Drive Letter where you want to boot from. Don't format the Drive if you want to keep the files which are stored on it.
Click on "create" and after a couple of minutes you should be fine.
Have fun trying things out, plinux.
mikecrosoft

Post by mikecrosoft »

Hello everyone. Clarino, I don't now why you can not download USB Installer from the official webpage; but here is another option, I've downloaded the aforementioned program and uploaded it to my public so folder https://spideroak.com/browse/share/Shar ... nopassword. The Mint pendrive creation process is simple as plinux has stated, so follow his guide to succesfully create a bootable Mint pendrive. About the burning problems, have you used imgburn?; if your computer is a desktop PC, check the data and power cords connected to your burning drive are correctly attached, if still having problems get another PATA or SATA cable to replace the old one and connect your burning drive to another pin of your power source (first at all turn off and disconnect your PC from any kind of power source; wear a pair of free powder latex gloves; don't touch anything, except before-mentioned cables; proceed slow, step by step; use a normal amount of force for connectors, don't try to force them; if your computer is a portable one, don't try to repair it by your own or you'll certainly kill it). Remember, before you get into the linux pendrive creation process, please check your motherboard is able to boot from usb devices. Regards!.

Return to “Beginner Questions”