Ideas for Cinnamon applets / extensions

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Ideas for Cinnamon applets / extensions

Post by Monsta »

nomko wrote:What i'm also missing is a good menu editor like Alacarte, but then for MATE and/or Cinnamon. Alacarte only works for Gnome, not for the other 2. This would be very much appreciated!
Actually, Cinnamon already (as of version 1.4.0) has menu editor, see this news post: http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=182 :)
According to Clem, this editor is "forked from Alacarte and fully integrated within Cinnamon".
karlitos

Post by karlitos »

I also miss the classic Mint-menu. Mostly I miss the possibility to customize the icon-size easily. I would like to have bigger icons for the categories and launchers an smaler icons with text for the favorites.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I doubt they will be making an exact copy of the old mintMenu. That would require a total rewrite anyway (you can't just port something from Python/GTK+2 to Javascript/GTK+3!) - and here we already have one in Cinnamon. :)
On the other hand, a request for implementing certain features of the old menu can be placed at the bug tracker, as usual. :)
dolphin

Post by dolphin »

GeneC

FAVORITES Applet

Post by GeneC »

A specific "Favorites" applet would be nice.

One with Icons and text (or hot tool tip) .
I know we have 'favorites' in Mintmenu, but it is kind of clumsy, isn't it.
Hover over the icon way up in the upper left corner and you see a text tip way in the lower left corner. Not ideal.

Anyone who writes one will get harty 'pat on the back' from me. :mrgreen:

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Hey people, a new classic-looking menu applet for Cinnamon is available: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 53#p563014
8)
Mr. EnDo

Post by Mr. EnDo »

Hi Guys,
Heres my idea's

Windows 7 like hiding of systray items
Organising of favs
Email Applet instead of add on's
Plus some that have already been said,

Keep up the good work loving this desktop.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

An email applet with someway to let you know you have mail would be really nice :wink:
gavroche

Post by gavroche »

It would be great an applet like the gnome shell extension "Eventstable" which replaces EventsList in GNOME Shell Calendar Menu with one showing events in a timetable and also show an "open calendar" option to add a new event
VoodooLoveDog

Post by VoodooLoveDog »

I'd like to see the "Window Selector" applet from Gnome 2. It was nice to see a drop down of all the windows I had open across my virtual desktops.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

One thing I haven't seen suggested but which I found very useful in Gnome 2 was the Alarm applet, which would either notify you at a certain time or could be used as a countdown timer.

The other thing I'd really like is for the Window List with preview applet to shrink the window names as you have more open on a desktop - at the moment they stay the same size, and push other things on the panel out the way, which is annoying.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

SallyK wrote:One thing I haven't seen suggested but which I found very useful in Gnome 2 was the Alarm applet, which would either notify you at a certain time or could be used as a countdown timer.
Well, there is some timer applet, if it doesn't exactly do what you need, you may ask the author to improve it :)
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

Thanks, Monsta, I had missed that one. I'll try it and see how I get on.

ETA
Unfortunately, it's not working properly at all, but I've commented there and hopefully the developer might be able to help.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

Another feature which isn't particularly Gnome-like, but that I've got used to in Crunchbang and Bodhi is an applications etc menu accessed by a right-click on the desktop.

If anyone felt like writing an extension to do that for Cinnamon, I hope I might not be the only one who would find it useful.
melbo

Post by melbo »

CPU Freq
HDD and CPU Temp
gavroche

Post by gavroche »

A must would be great to have Cinnamon calendar synced with google calendar
Presently, with gnome shell, i do and, as google calendar is also synced with my cellphone, every event is always up to date
fschaap

Post by fschaap »

Maybe not an applet per se, but an easy way to format removable media, like a USB drive.

I used this fix on Mint 9 to add "Format removable media" to the right-click context menu.

There should be simpler way than Gparted to quickly format a USB drive :-)
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

Maybe not an applet per se, but an easy way to format removable media, like a USB drive.

I used this fix on Mint 9 to add "Format removable media" to the right-click context menu.

There should be simpler way than Gparted to quickly format a USB drive :-)
Yes, definitely.
cgrantmccool

Post by cgrantmccool »

I could use a pop-up filebrowser that expands with each subfolder like the file-browser-applet for gnome 2.x I coach high school debaters and they need to be able to access and easily sort through hundreds of different files organized in various folder structures very quickly and efficiently.

I'm a pretty new user to linux, my conversion is mostly an economic decision for supplying poor kids with cheap/donated used laptops, and not having to deal with a giant book of education software licenses.

This is what we are currently using and it's pretty fantastic for what we need it to do. At the moment, it seems that all the primary desktop environments have forgotten about shortcut access to large file tree structures, or I'm just not finding the ones that are out there and still work/are supported.

http://code.google.com/p/gnome-menu-fil ... er-applet/
mbokil

Post by mbokil »

Trackpad applet
http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/44

Caps lock/num lock applet
http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/37

In general look through here for new applets
http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets

I like the notification list manager idea. If i have some time I will take a crack at it.

-Mark

Return to “Cinnamon”