easy instructions to build xfce

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tedbell

easy instructions to build xfce

Post by tedbell »

I have followd all the steps to the letter in the link. When I try to 'configure' some, it will not make a 'make'file' I get THIS: make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

I also get this even though i did succefully install: make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

Can someone post easy to follow instruction or at least some .deb packages.

Even the .tar--> .deb converter I used screwep up the installation.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: easy instructions to build xfce

Post by dagon »

tedbell wrote:I have followd all the steps to the letter in the link.
In what link?
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

In Debian, Ubuntu and most others (if they support XFCE)
their repos normally have (In Debian and Ubuntu their called meta packages) normally called xfce4 and a additional (optional) package called xfce4-goodies

They may not be the latest but are stable (Debian testing hence LMDE won't get XFCE 4.10 for awhile yet :( ) Debian stable has 4.6 testing (LMDE) has 4.8 :)

J.Jay

P.S. the Ubuntu (Main edition LMint) has 4.9 (Ubuntu 12.04 that LMint 13 will be based on has 4.9 + some of the 4.10 features/packages now).
tedbell

Post by tedbell »

Thanks for the replies...
I use debian now and got the 4.10 from the experimental repo. :D

Works great. Looks great. One issue which I'll cover in another thread.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

See above post about plug-ins in 4.10, not working and throwing errors :roll:
thats why I'll wait till they hit testing (on 2nd thought maybe I'll mosey on over to Sid :mrgreen:

Ive played with on a couple other Distro (I'm a hopper :lol: ) and the plug-ins available are a lot less and some have different properties/settings (sometime good sometime bad). And I didn't (my opinion) see any world shattering changes, besides 'mouse/tablet settings)

<Read at the XFCE.org site what to expect>

J.Jay
tedbell

Post by tedbell »

Turns out the plugin problem is to do with the old plugins not pointint to this file: libxfce4-panel-1.0.so.4.
It's looking for this one instead: libxfce4panel-1.0.so.3
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Thanks I'll remember that...

So rebuilding panel for 4.10 still best practice :?:
Still some plug-ins from 4.8 won't work in 4.10 some merged with other, are depreciated or need to be upgraded to 4.10 but haven't yet :roll: .
But...
if you start with a fresh panel the plug-ins should work and you won't have access to ones with no new equivalents or don't work right yet. Right :?:
(The distros shipping with 4.10 don't have access to some plug-ins (not in default install or their package manager yet) :(

J.Jay

Edit
P.S. currently rebuilding a LMDE-XFCE (using SWIFT distro, so can't actually call LMDE :P thinking may get 4.10 from Sid now, instead of waiting on. :wink:

Return to “Xfce”