Banshee hanging system

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anupamk

Banshee hanging system

Post by anupamk »

Hi All,

Banshee player hanging system after playing contineously for an hour.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msx_

Re: Banshee hanging system

Post by msx_ »

Can't reproduce here with Banshee 2.2.0, please be more descriptive and also an attach of latest dmesg/X logs would be useful.
karashata

Post by karashata »

If you're running GNOME 3 Shell with the MGSE extensions enabled, you probably have the faulty MGSE media player control/indicator extension enabled as well, and it's been found to cause GNOME Shell to stop responding properly after an indeterminable/somewhat random amount of time. If you look at this bug report I filed some time ago, you can find a couple of patches that, when applied to the extension using the instructions provided in the comments along with the patches, should fix the extension and prevent it from causing the Shell to stop responding.

If applying patches isn't really your thing, you could always launch Advanced Settings, navigate to the Shell Extensions section, and turn off the Media Player extension, then force the Shell to restart using the 'r' command from the run dialog (Alt+F2) to ensure the extension is completely unloaded.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

Karashata, thank you very much for the link to that, it's a problem that's been bugging me for a while.

Would you be able to clarify the instructions for applying the patch - the bug report thread says:

sudo patch /<email address hidden>/extension.js mgse-mediaplayer.diff

Is it actually an email address you are supposed to put in the command, or something else?

Thank you again.
karashata

Post by karashata »

The "email address" you're referring to is actually the UUID (universally unique identifier) of the extension, and yes, you have to enter it as part of the command, since the extension's UUID is also the folder name in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ where the extension resides.

Personally, I would recommend you execute the command using absolute paths to ensure there are no problems, ie.

Code: Select all

sudo patch /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/mediaplayer@linuxmint.com/extension.js /<path to patch file>/mgse-mediaplayer.diff
Also note that there are two patches on that bug report page you need to apply, in order, so make sure you download and apply the first patch in the comments first, then the second one after that.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I needed to know. I suppose because the extension name has an @ in it, the website assumed it was an email address.

I think I've applied the patches okay, now to leave Banshee running for long enough to be sure. :-)

Thank you again for your help.
karashata

Post by karashata »

I expect you could leave Banshee running all day without problems now, though even just a couple hours should be long enough to determine if everything's okay, the issue usually manifested itself within about half an hour without the patches applied (at least for me).

Anyway, glad to help!
crosstie69

Post by crosstie69 »

I have been having the same problem with banshee. I tried rhythmbox and same problem. I stumbled across the patches while searching for solutions. When I run the first patch as instructed on the bug sight I get this error.

~/Downloads $ sudo patch /mediaplayer@lunuxmint.com/extension.js mgse-mediaplayer.diff
patching file /mediaplayer@lunuxmint.com/extension.js
Hunk #1 FAILED at 639.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 655.
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file /mediaplayer@lunuxmint.com/extension.js.rej

When I run the second patch as instructed on the bug sight I get this error.

~/Downloads $ sudo patch /mediaplayer@linuxmint.com/extension.js mgse-mediaplayer2.diff
patching file /mediaplayer@linuxmint.com/extension.js
Hunk #1 FAILED at 430.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 452.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 460.
Hunk #4 FAILED at 580.
4 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file /mediaplayer@linuxmint.com/extension.js.rej

If I try and run them as instructed here, using absolute paths, I get this.

sudo patch /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/mediaplayer@linuxmint.com/extenion.js /Downloads/mgse-mediaplayer.diff
patch: **** Can't open patch file /Downloads/mgse-mediaplayer.diff : No such file or directory

and...

sudo patch /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/mediaplayer@linuxmint.com/extenion.js /Downloads/mgse-mediaplayer2.diff
patch: **** Can't open patch file /Downloads/mgse-mediaplayer2.diff : No such file or directory

Not sure what I am doing wrong but if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.
I am new to linux, just swtiched over from Windows this past weekend.

Thanks you,

Tyler
karashata

Post by karashata »

You forgot to add the /home/<your user name> (or a . if you're in your home folder) before Downloads, resulting in the command looking for a Downloads folder in / (the filesystem root). Fix the command and try it again.
crosstie69

Post by crosstie69 »

Hmm, that worked but I am still getting the hunk errors, like I was if I run it as instructed on the bug sight.

sudo patch /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/mediaplayer@linuxmint.com/extenion.js /home/tyler/Downloads/mgse-mediaplayer.diff
[sudo] password for tyler:
patching file /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/mediaplayer@linuxmint.com/extenion.js
Hunk #1 FAILED at 639.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 655.
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/mediaplayer@linuxmint.com/extenion.js.rej

Thanks,

Tyler
karashata

Post by karashata »

Unfortunately, I don't really know how to work around patching failures, I'd probably end up attempting to patch the file manually by opening the file to be patched and the patch(es) in a text editor and searching for the appropriate sections to patch. There has to be an easier way though... Perhaps someone with better experience with patching might be better able to help at this point...
crosstie69

Post by crosstie69 »

I think I may have figured the patching problem out. I had to type in the full patch to the extension.js file from the Downloads folder where the patch was and this is what I got on the first patch:

tyler@Tyler ~/Downloads $ sudo patch /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/mediaplayer@linuxmint.com/extension.js mgse-mediaplayer.diff
patching file /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/mediaplayer@linuxmint.com/extension.js

...and this is what I got on the second patch:
tyler@Tyler ~/Downloads $ sudo patch /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/mediaplayer@linuxmint.com/extension.js mgse-mediaplayer.diff
patching file /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/mediaplayer@linuxmint.com/extension.js

Sure looks a lot better than the hunk failed I was getting. Does this look right? Like it patched it finally?

Thanks,

Tyler
crosstie69

Post by crosstie69 »

The only other thing that might have made the difference, is that before when I was getting the failed to patch errors, I had all ready updated everything the updater asked me to. I had read somewhere that that may/may not be the best thing. I reinstalled mint 12 and did not update anything. I was still having the problem with banshee/rhythmbox freezing the system after about 20 min of using it. I tried installing the patches and this time they went. Have not used them yet to see if it fixed the problem but right now I'm just excited I may have finally got the patches to work.

Tyler
crosstie69

Re: Banshee hanging system-Solved

Post by crosstie69 »

I have been using rhythmbox now for over an hour while going about my business and no freeze.
The patches seem to have fixed the problem.

Thanks
dotdot

Post by dotdot »

works for me as well...

+1
uuoo

Post by uuoo »

Hello!
I'm relatively new in the Linux system. And this is the first time I try to apply a patch. And I don't understand exactly how to do it.

I went to the Terminal and wrote
sudo patch /<email address hidden>/extension.js mgse-mediaplayer.diff

Then, before I write the patch that is in the other forum ( https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/892316 ) should I press Enter, put a . in the between? How should I do it?

Thanks a lot!

Return to “Software & Applications”