Gnome 3 Top Bar Network Notification Icon For VPN

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
DasFox
Level 3
Level 3

Gnome 3 Top Bar Network Notification Icon For VPN

Post by DasFox »

Hi Guys,

I noticed today when I set up OpenVPN in Mint 12 under Gnome that the Top Bar Network Notification icon does not change to show something like a lock next to it, to let you know you're on a VPN, also without any OSD Notifications, or any locks next to the icon, you have no way to let you know when you have been disconnected, and the only thing you can do for the moment is that you need to constantly click the icon to get the drop down menu to make sure you have not dropped your connection.

I use a VPN for security reasons and not having any type of notification of some sort is not good and I hope someone at Mint can appreciate and see this is also not a good situation.

So can we at least PLEASE get someone to make the Top Bar Network Notification icon appear with a lock next to it when you are on a VPN and then the lock will disappear when you are disconnected so we have a simple means of knowing whether we are connected or not?

I hope this will get some top priority and get done as soon as possible this is something that is really important and really needed for VPN users...

THANKS

P.S. It would be good to ensure something like this is also on all desktops Mint has...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Gnome 3 Top Bar Network Notification Icon For VPN

Post by xenopeek »

You are probably using Gnome Shell + MGSE, as installed by default desktop on Linux Mint 12. As that was not satisfying the developers, they have created Cinnamon as a replacement for Gnome Shell (both run as the user interface on top of Gnome 3). Development of MGSE has been dropped, so any suggestions for Gnome Shell perhaps had better be put to the Gnome Shell developers.

Linux Mint 13 will have Cinnamon instead of Gnome Shell (though those wanting to use Gnome Shell can of course install it easily, just like any of the other desktops).

If you haven't seen Cinnamon yet, see here the most recent update for a teaser. And see the Cinnamon Spices website for adding themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon (and check out the Cinnamon Extras package, which will install a lot of these for your automatically).
DasFox
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DasFox »

xenopeek wrote:You are probably using Gnome Shell + MGSE, as installed by default desktop on Linux Mint 12. As that was not satisfying the developers, they have created Cinnamon as a replacement for Gnome Shell (both run as the user interface on top of Gnome 3). Development of MGSE has been dropped, so any suggestions for Gnome Shell perhaps had better be put to the Gnome Shell developers.

Linux Mint 13 will have Cinnamon instead of Gnome Shell (though those wanting to use Gnome Shell can of course install it easily, just like any of the other desktops).

If you haven't seen Cinnamon yet, see here the most recent update for a teaser. And see the Cinnamon Spices website for adding themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon (and check out the Cinnamon Extras package, which will install a lot of these for your automatically).
Whatever is installed off the CD is what I'm using which is Gnome 3, shell or whatever you want to call it... :)

Anyhow if Cinnamon is the future, then great, so let's please make sure there's some good notification as I've suggested that we can see in that...

THANKS
k0d3g3ar

Post by k0d3g3ar »

Cinnamon on Mint 13 is no different.... There is no visible indicator that you are connected to a VPN.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”