Mint 12 KDE hangs on logout/shutdown/restart

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BostonPeng

Mint 12 KDE hangs on logout/shutdown/restart

Post by BostonPeng »

I installed the latest Mint KDE in a VirtualBox so I can run the Webilder app for getting new wallpaper images but any time I try to end my session the screen dims but I have to manually open a terminal and run sudo reboot (or use the Run Command Interface (RCI) and run kdesudo reboot). It doesn't matter if I try to simply log out, shutdown or restart, and it doesn't matter if I use the application launcher, a right click on my desktop, or use the RCI to initiate the end of the session.

I can't see anyone else having the issue and I can't tell what may be borked on my system so feel free to let me know what further information y'all need to identify the culprit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 12 KDE hangs on logout/shutdown/restart

Post by phd7 »

check what processes are running before shutdown and look for a culprit .
for me years ago it was clamav updater.
deleted clamav and problem solved
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thanks. I'll check that out when I fire up my VM for tomorrow's Webilder pics.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Hmmm, I saw freshclam and killed it, but my virtual machine still hung when I tried to log out. I'll have to keep hunting for a culprit.
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

mabye check with virtualbox.website or forum. I dont use it but wonder if Vb is trying to close something thats used by the computer. seems unlikely but might be a glitch. How about trying to disconnect from internet in VB before closing it.
Just a wild guess
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I saw there was an update for my Nvidia driver and after I installed it I had no problems with my shutdown, which is a good thing because I can't see how to prevent freshclam from running. Removing ClamTK isn't an option I want due to some of the files I get from friends on Windows. Hopefully my problem has been resolved with this update. I may try running VB without forcing freshclam stopped and see if it confirms my hypothesis. Thanks for the assists phd7.
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

well it looks like Clam wasnt the problem after all if you solved it witout ewroving Clam
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Actually the problem was resolved once, and then I got the hangs again. I haven't gotten a chance to hunt down other possible culprits yet, and I'm hesitant to remove clam since I use it fairly often. I have disabled any automatic settings for clam so I don't know why freshclam insists on running every session.
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

Well if it IS (and this is just a guess) a running process, maybe take a screenshot of your processes before shutting down and then you can compare screenshot between a working shutdown and non-working. maybe sort by CPU usage descending?

Return to “Software & Applications”