Plymouth theme for LMDE - V2 8/21/11

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Spec-chum

Re: Plymouth theme for LMDE - V2 8/21/11

Post by Spec-chum »

Tested this on laptop with XFCE LMDE RC and it works fine, so still unsure what the issue is on this main PC. But, it does seem to drop into text mode when you restart and just says "System is restarting" across screen where before I just had the usual shutdown text, so I suspect the drivers to be the issue.

That said, I did think I may be loading too quick for it to even show lol. I get from grub to working desktop in under 12 seconds on this SSD.

However, it's not a deal breaker just a bit of eye candy.
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim »

Just followed the process, LifeInTheGrey, but got the Fedora bar. Instead, on the right there is "Debian Wheezy/Sid", not the lmde theme that I installed through the terminal.
Any ideas?
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
WeNG

Post by WeNG »

great job LifeInTheGrey!
i've looking for LMDE plymouth since January and all i could found was Debian plymouth. Now i can switch to your LMDE plymouth v2 after using solar theme plymouth for months. Your LMDE plymouth are so much better and feels so Mint Debian :D
This should be official LMDE plymouth.
Can't wait to see v3...
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

I have the same problem with the blue bar.
I have nvidia proprietary. How do I undo that in install a different video driver so this will work?
Thanks
Dan
bodam

Post by bodam »

sdim wrote:Just followed the process, LifeInTheGrey, but got the Fedora bar. Instead, on the right there is "Debian Wheezy/Sid", not the lmde theme that I installed through the terminal.
Any ideas?
I'm seeing exactly the same thing and "yes" I have the Nvidia drivers installed. So is there anyway to get accelerated graphics for compiz and emerald as well as a splash screen?
Anakondarh

Post by Anakondarh »

I was having the same issue witht the blue bar on my LMDE system, with an ATI card (as far as I know, this SHOULD work with NVIDIA as well, or at least it shouldn't break anything if it doesn't). Solved by following the instructions from this page:

http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/vie ... /#plymouth

VGA=792 worked for me. Remember to

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub2
and

sudo update-initramfs -u
afterwards.

Hope this helps.
escolar

Post by escolar »

I installed Plymouth and the Linux Mint theme as explained in the post.
I used the script of this web because I have nvidia graphic card.
It works perfect, but now I have an small black square (similar to the cursor in a text processor) in the left top corner of the screen. This square is always there: from the gdm screen to the desktop, or when I have a windows maximized.

Any idea?

Thanks
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Remember :wink:

If you install vidieo drivers (FGLRX ect.) you may have to ajust the default resolution!
I used startup manager (package in repo) to reset resolution/color depth. (also grub time out/default os boot).

**Many new cards wont work to low res/color that are used as default sometimes**

J.Jay
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thank you, LiveInTheGrey! You are a lifesaver. I had wasted so bloody much time trying to diagnose problems after following instructions on KDE-Looks for the Kmint theme, which obviously wasn't written for a Debian-based system. I had written a blog post withj screenshots asking for help before I found this post and I've updated my post to reflect the solution. I owe you a round.
jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

For future google'rs, like me:
Yes, this still applies to LMDE 201109, in March 2012:

After installing NVIDIA proprietary driver (instead of the open-source, reverse-engineered nouveau driver), or the ATI one thereof, you may be wondering how to get back framebuffer console and/or plymouth boot splash. Here's how to do it:

All commands as root (sudo -s):

# aptitude install v86d hwinfo

# hwinfo --framebuffer
The second command above will give you a list of the resolutions which you can use in framebuffer/grub. Choose the best one, and write/note it in the following format:
Width x Height - BitDepth (only without spaces)
Example, for 1024x768 resolution @24 bits, write as:

1024x768-24
Then:

# nano /etc/default/grub
and add the following to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line, after the word quiet and a space:
splash nomodeset video=uvesafb:mode_option=1024x768-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap
So that it minimally looks like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset video=uvesafb:mode_option=1024x768-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap"
And change the GRUB_GFXMODE line to the resolution you noted earlier. Example:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768-24
and save out.

Now:

# nano /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
and add the following on a new line:

uvesafb mode_option=1024x768-24 mtrr=3 scroll=ywrap
and change 1024x768-24 to whatever you used in the previous step, if different.

And if you want the boot splash, install plymouth:

# aptitude install plymouth plymouth-drm plymouth-x11
Finally, update grub and initrd:

# update-initramfs -u
# update-grub
At this point, you can only test the graphical plymouth themes, but not the text-based ones -- like "text", "mint", "details", and "script" -- at least not until you reboot first to get framebuffer activated.

To get a list of the installed plymouth themes, run:

# plymouth-set-default-theme --list
To find out which theme is currently set, run:

# plymouth-set-default-theme
and finally, to preview your theme, read the "Viewing" section on this blog entry: http://brej.org/blog/?p=158

Or simply:
1. Set your plymouth theme of choice (ex. spinfinity):

# plymouth-set-default-theme spinfinity
2. Preview it for 10 seconds:

# plymouthd; plymouth --show-splash ; for ((I=0; I<10; I++)); do plymouth --update=test$I ; sleep 1; done; plymouth quit
Finally, remember to update your initrd when you've changed your plymouth theme, before rebooting, or else your plymouth theme change won't take effect:

# update-initramfs -u
Cheers
neomagician

Post by neomagician »

plymouth-drm has been removed....
and... all the themes have had the " s " removed at the end of them... i.e
plymouth-themes-solar
is now
pylmouth-theme-solar

one little letter is preventing this from coming through, plus with no plymouth-drm the whole thing comes to a stand still. Trying to install from tar does not work and using debian deb for plymouth-drm says its missing dependancies due to all the name changes. Maybe I'm missing a rescource via synaptic, but then, I have everything else so...

You would think that having a boot image would be the first and easiest thing.

Linux Mint KDE 12
HP g62-364DX Notebook
2.40GHz VISION Technology from AMD with AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile Processor P540
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics
15.6" diagonal High-Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366 x 768)

Return to “LMDE Archive”