Problem with sound and a small graphic problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Slapshot

Re: Problem with sound and a small graphic problem

Post by Slapshot »

Hi Vega2k

First off mate I have an Nvidia 880GTS card and I used the ENVY program from the System menu and just let ENVY configure and set up everything and I have full effects and the Nvidia settings program in the System menu. Beats the heck out of compiling something and it's the latest driver from Nvidia. Works a treat.

On the sound I'm not very good but if you open a terminal window and type alsamixer then paste what it gives you, you will get the codec it needs to use the card. The name ALC883 is just the name realtek give to the chip and other manufacturers use the chip in different audio cards. I'm not sure but it sounds like a high definition audio chip on the motherboard, mine in the spec is listed as ALC883, but is actually a Nvidia high definition audio MCP51.

Hope this helps till someone more au fait with sound comes on.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

Hi Vega2k

Sorry but I've been at work. There is a lot of bug fixes in the newest Alsa driver. Try following this tutorial to compile the latest Alsa version. BUT where it shows the 2 scripts to run don't use those but use the modifies ones posted in the comments number 10 further down. This will recompile the latest one. Check you have all the packages installed that it mentions to compile and it should work. After you may have to add to or change the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file with the following sentence: options snd-hda-intel model=3stack ) or the right one for your card or even try them all till one works correctly checking Alsa mixer every time to make sure any new channels like the mic channel aren't muted.

Here's the options for your chip:-

ALC662
3stack-dig 3-stack (2-channel) with SPDIF
3stack-6ch 3-stack (6-channel)
3stack-6ch-dig 3-stack (6-channel) with SPDIF
6stack-dig 6-stack with SPDIF
lenovo-101e Lenovo laptop
auto auto-config reading BIOS (default)

Here's the link:-

http://www.antonywilliams.com/2007/10/b ... -alsa.html

Hope this help mate
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

Hi Vega2k,

Sorry but this is now getting beyond me. But I would suggest re-installing the alsa fron synaptic so you get the older version not compile the new one if it gives problems and I found this link for you to try under the Ubuntu forums. The title of the thread is ALC883 microphone doesn't work and towards the bottom a couple of people have got it to work and they say they are happy.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=449731

Try this and I hope it makes you happy mate. Let us know how you get on in case others have this issue.

Return to “Beginner Questions”