Mouse scroll wheel / flywheel problem and solution

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mouse scroll wheel / flywheel problem and solution

Postby e_scott on Mon May 14, 2012 3:19 pm

Just installed Linux Mint LMDE a few weeks ago after years of Ubuntu. Wasn't happy with the direction Ubuntu was taking but I'm thrilled with Mate desktop on LMDE. I've also long wanted to use a Debian distro for my main desktop (have used it for servers before).

All was well with my LMDE installation except I couldn't get the mouse scrolling to work. I went to edit xorg.conf and was surprised it wasn't there. Apparently there is a move away from using xorg.conf.

Anyway, the solution to my problem was to simply install xorg-xserver-input-mouse:
Code: Select all
 sudo apt-get install xorg-xserver-input-mouse

I logged back in and the scrollwheel was working perfectly. Just wanted to pass it on...
e_scott
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mouse scroll wheel / flywheel problem and solution

Postby bdsatish on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:05 pm

You, my friend, saved my day. Worked well with LMDE Update Pack 6. However, it is "xserver-xorg-*" not "xorg-xserver-*". The following works:-

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-mouse
bdsatish
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mouse scroll wheel / flywheel problem and solution

Postby Dart2163 on Thu May 02, 2013 12:09 am

I have a similar problem. The direction I move the wheel is not always the same way that the screen goes. I can dial one way and at first the screen goes in the correct direction, but if I continue dialing the same direction, then the screen stops and reverses.

I tried
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-mouse

but I just get a message saying that my computer is already "up-to-date" and therefore "no action taken."

Any help appreciated.
Dart2163
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support