[SOLVED]Hooked on mint-fm2...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
loxaheart

[SOLVED]Hooked on mint-fm2...

Post by loxaheart »

Hello,

I upgraded to Mint LXDE 12 from Mint Fluxbox 9, and I miss my beloved mint-fm2!

I've been searching the interwebs for the last couple of hours, trying to find a way to get my LXDE main menu to appear when I right click the desktop. The keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+M) isn't a big deal, but it would be a nice bonus.

If there is ANY way to make this possible, I would be very grateful for any advice/instructions!

Thanks in advance ^.^

[Edit] I've already tried changing the mouse binding for the root-menu with no success. If there is a way to replace root-menu with the main menu, I have no problem doing that :)

[Edit 2] Attempted to edit mintlxde-rc.xml again. Here is the code I am editing:

Code: Select all

<mousebind button="Right" action="Press">
    <action name="ShowMenu">
      <menu>root-menu</menu>
    </action>
</mousebind>
Here's is what I've tried so far:

<menu>lxpanelctl-menu</menu>

<menu>lxpanel-menu</menu>

<menu>menu</menu>

<menu>user-menu</menu>
There are probably a couple more, but I've been working on this for many hours and need sleep :D So my memory isn't that great, right now. I hope this helps, I am fully aware of the fact that I could be going about this completely wrong... I did discover the key-binding for the menu on the lxpanel, it's Ctrl-Esc 8)[/i]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seppalta

Re: Hooked on mint-fm2...

Post by seppalta »

You seem to be asking for 2 different things: keyboard access and right-click-desktop access to main menu. I can't help with the former but there are a variety of ways to get applications menus via clicking the desktop, none of which is much different than just clicking the panel main menu icon. The easiest and most foolproof is to use the openbox menu which is already present, albeit, it needs to be edited to be really useful - see http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#3 for details on doing that. Or you can put a desktop file with

exec=pcmanfm menu://applications/
in your desktop directory. See Section 11 of the aforementioned Guide for more details.
loxaheart

Re: Hooked on mint-fm2...

Post by loxaheart »

Working on edit the menu.xml file right now :) From what I can see, it's going to be another day(at least) on the lappy lol
Thank you!!

[Edit] All done :) Looks pretty good too :D I probably shaved about 40 pixels off of my panel. Key-binding it will be a project for another day... Thanks seppalta!! That website really helped :D

If anyone is stuck and would like to copy and edit my menu.xml file, leave a comment :) There are also decent step-by-step instructions here (the lxde.org forum)

Return to “Software & Applications”