Mint 13 (Maya) RC out

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 13 (Maya) RC out

Post by darknetmatrix »

thanks for the link zerozero, downloading them right now :wink:
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Perfection!
LM 13 Cinnamon RC 64bits on Lenovo B570:
Even wifi works out-of-the box.
Simply flawless!

Now a little "surprise": fallback mode resembling old Mint's Gnome2... and with llvmpipe as software rasterizer!
Beautiful!
taytong888

Post by taytong888 »

Hello,

I am trying to install the 32-bit LM13RC Cinnamon on a Toshiba laptop with 2 GB RAM, a Celeron M CPU and video card is ATI Radeon Xpress 200M. After the screen of default language = English, I hit "Continue".

Then, the screen is a messed up view of horizontal black and gray bands. I can move the cursor arrow but that's all I can do for now. Nothing seems to occur next.

By the way, lspci -nnk shows the kernel drivers for video is "radeon" and "radeonfb". On this machine, I installed LMDE and LM12 without problems.

Please help! Thank you!

:(
Toradun

Post by Toradun »

Damn this looks good.

Just installed Mint 13 RC Cinnamon 64 bit into a virtual machine. I'm quite stunned :)

I'm having some issues with the display (for example time/day is not displayed in the taskbar) but nothing that serious.

WELL DONE! :)

P.S: I like the new Loginscreen ;)
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Downloaded and installed the 64-bit MATE version. Everything just works. The proprietary driver for the ATI Radeon HD4200 graphics installed via the Additional Drivers (Jockey) utility with absolutely no problems. Brought my laptop temps down by 10-14 degrees. Chromium, Google Earth and Wine 1.4 all installed flawlessly through Synaptic Package Manager. Flash is working great. Very, very stable. This is a landmark release for Mint, being the first Ubuntu-based editions with dedicated Cinnamon and MATE desktops and following the Ubuntu 12.04 5-year LTS release.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Testing 64-bit MATE edition...

Wow! The global hotkey for mintMenu (Ctrl + Left Super key) works out of the box, right in the live mode! :D

This long lost and long-awaited feature is apparently provided by a new package named mintmenu-keybinder which has probably been packaged in quite a hurry. :)

1. The maintainer is Ubuntu Desktop Team, not Clem or someone else from the Mint team.
2. The section is GNOME Desktop Environment, not MATE.
3. The package has a weird file named "/..deb".
4. The package has a Bonobo server file - /usr/lib/bonobo/servers/Deskbar_Applet.server - but there's no Bonobo, there's MateComponent, no?
5. Finally, it seems the whole old deskbar-applet package contents has been packaged here. But mintMenu seems to use only the keybinding feature from it. All the search stuff in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py seems to be written from scratch without using any search features from deskbar-applet. If I'm wrong on that or have missed something, please correct me.
outfieldgrass

Post by outfieldgrass »

Checking out the Live DVD right now. Very fast. Impressed. Might just install on the desktop until its officially released.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I'm cautiously optimistic. After my initial optimism with Ubuntu 12.04 and its offspring, Ku, Lu, and Xu, on my computers over the past two weeks, Ubuntu 12.04 got buggier and buggier on my machines, nothing like the 11.10 and 11.04 releases. I'm hoping for some "Mint magic" to turn Ubu into a usable beast :-) So far so good testing Mint 13 MATE 32 bit, no issues so far. Will give this one a good workout before doing any full installs on my machines.
kbd47
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

i was wondering if i could install cinnamon alongside mate
outfieldgrass

Post by outfieldgrass »

cpatrick08 wrote:i was wondering if i could install cinnamon alongside mate
Yes. You could then select which you want to use at the login screen.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Alright, MATE edition RC is installed and works fine. A few issues:

1. Some of MATE's packages indirectly depend on libgnome-keyring0, including caja, mate-panel, some applets and so on, while only 6 packages directly or indirectly depend on libmatekeyring. Try to mark these libs for deletion in synaptic (or by using apt-get -s remove) to see for yourself.
2. Network Manager applet is written using Gtk+ 3, and its fonts, buttons, etc. look really out of place. Hmm... I've just realized that I have no idea how it was made to run as a mate-panel applet... :D
3. gedit-common is installed, and no packages depend on it.
4. mate-desktop-gnome isn't installed, but gnome-desktop3-data is (and these two are conflicting). Should it be so?
5. Despite everything works, mint-meta-mate and its dependencies (mate-desktop-environment, mate-core, mate-backgrounds, mate-themes) aren't installed.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Irregardless of anything else, it sure is nice to see Mint get back to its roots, MATE on Mint 13 has me feeling I'm running Mint 11 again :-) Only 13 is running a bit cooler, and perhaps a bit faster, but I think MATE on Debian may have ruined me regarding excellent responsiveness and speed with MATE. So far no bugs or issues, here's hoping Mint 13 MATE keeps running strong.
kbd47
crismblog

Post by crismblog »

Where is a download link for LM13?

edit: we found
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Testing Mint 13 Cinnamon RC 32bit. Works on machines without pae, great! Looks good to!
aelfinn

LM 13 RC is available

Post by aelfinn »

In case you were wondering, the release candidate of Linux Mint 13 (Maya) is available on the mirror servers. So far, it seems very fast, nice looking, and rather stable.

Just one thing that I noticed: in the Power settings, the setting for “Show battery status in the menu bar” doesn’t stick and the icon is shown permanently. (x64/Cinnamon)
Last edited by aelfinn on Tue May 15, 2012 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topics merged
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: LM 13 RC is available

Post by nunol »

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

In MATE Mint 13 I've been testing it out pretty good, shutting it down, restarting it, checking top to see that everything is running correctly, going through the apps, checking out the applets, ran update, I can find no issues so far and none of the buntu 12.04 bugs I experienced. So far no drama and very stable, everything is working like it should, call me impressed :-)
kbd47
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

outfieldgrass wrote:
cpatrick08 wrote:i was wondering if i could install cinnamon alongside mate
Yes. You could then select which you want to use at the login screen.
Yeah, you have to install mint-meta-mate, reboot (or maybe just logout) and then log in.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

esteban1uy wrote: Now a little "surprise": fallback mode resembling old Mint's Gnome2... and with llvmpipe as software rasterizer!
Beautiful!
Wait, so the fallback mode is customized by default and is using llvmpipe (why would it need to use llvmpipe?). Is llvmpipe letting you run 3d things without having 3d? Anyway, I'm really looking forward to trying this, but in the last 10 hours I've downloaded all of 539 MB :( . Hopefully now that all of the mirrors are synced I can download the MATE ISO faster.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

cwwgateway wrote:Wait, so the fallback mode is customized by default and is using llvmpipe (why would it need to use llvmpipe?). Is llvmpipe letting you run 3d things without having 3d? Anyway, I'm really looking forward to trying this, but in the last 10 hours I've downloaded all of 539 MB :( . Hopefully now that all of the mirrors are synced I can download the MATE ISO faster.
Exactly!
-3D working without hardware acceleration (yes... nothing new, but now with llvmpipe is a lot more efficient).
-Fallback mode is customized to resemble Gnome2, or Mate.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”