Search engines in Firefox

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Oolong

Search engines in Firefox

Post by Oolong »

Hello, I'd really like to see Google Scholar added to the list of supported search engines, please. It's a real pain to navigate to otherwise, and I use it a lot.

Also Wiktionary.

To be honest, the whole locked-down-search-engines thing makes me uncomfortable, but if it weren't for these omissions it wouldn't be nearly so bad...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Search engines in Firefox

Post by xenopeek »

You can already easily add these from the Firefox addons;
- Google Scholar: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... lar-10310/
- Wiktionary: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ionary-en/
Oolong

Post by Oolong »

Oh. Well, that's nice I guess. Thanks for the links!

Maybe the page that Mint takes us to when we go the normal route to install extensions (Manage Search Engines/Get more) - http://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php - ought to mention this somewhere, rather than including a tiny list and just saying
Some of the most popular engines were added above. To add one of them, click on its logo. If your favorite engine does not appear on this page, please contact Linux Mint for it to be included.
Perhaps a postscript. 'Or I suppose you COULD just go and install them straight from the Firefox site if you REALLY WANT TO.' Something like that? I sort of took the current page at its word, that I should be contacting the Mint team to suggest additions, if I wanted to use any other search engine.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Who knew? :D I hadn't seen that page before... Google Scholar is already included there, if you look at the heading "Commercial engines" it is the fifth icon from the right.
Oolong

Post by Oolong »

Oh, so it is! I missed it because they just used the normal Google logo twice, instead of the Google Scholar logo...
corn

Post by corn »

Pro-tip : if you right click on a search field, you can add a keyword for that search. You can use any search engine very easily in the nav bar.
Oolong

Post by Oolong »

That's nice, corn, thanks.

In case it's not obvious though, my original suggestions very much stand (except that Google Scholar should just have a different icon). Mint makes it really weirdly difficult to see how to add search engines it doesn't actively endorse, and that's a substantial usability problem!
Codefish

Post by Codefish »

... or use the "Add to Search Bar 2.0" extension ------> driver's seat...

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”