Best Desktop For Linux Newbies?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Which Desktop Environment Would You Recommend To Linux Newbies?

Poll ended at Tue May 22, 2012 4:31 am

1. KDE
11%
2.LXDE
9%
3.Gnome Shell
4%
4. Unity
9%
5. Xfce
26%
6. MATE
15%
7. Cinnamon
26%
8. Gnome Fallback
No votes
9. Other
2%

Total votes: 47

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Best Desktop For Linux Newbies?

Post by KBD47 »

3fRI wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I've done that and it does seem quicker, but I'll see how it goes for a few days. :D
Cool :-)
TobyJamesJoy

Post by TobyJamesJoy »

i chose xfce and unity. xfce because it's light, customizable and noob-friendly. it should be able to run on any machine and do anything that windows xp/mum and dad distros do whilst having things like a trash-can etc as default, unlike lxde.

i chose unity because many people i know use mac and unity seems to have all of the usability and impressive looks and features that os x provides, without the pricetag or the brand-restrictions. when i tell people i use linux they often say "oh that's like the old computers isn't it?". i think if people have the processing power to run it and aren't afraid of losing the "start" button, unity should be first choice as it shows that linux can provide modern ui experiences to rival the most established players out there, whilst giving freedom and doing it all for no cost.
hellfire695

Post by hellfire695 »

TobyJamesJoy wrote:i chose xfce and unity. xfce because it's light, customizable and noob-friendly. it should be able to run on any machine and do anything that windows xp/mum and dad distros do whilst having things like a trash-can etc as default, unlike lxde.

i chose unity because many people i know use mac and unity seems to have all of the usability and impressive looks and features that os x provides, without the pricetag or the brand-restrictions. when i tell people i use linux they often say "oh that's like the old computers isn't it?". i think if people have the processing power to run it and aren't afraid of losing the "start" button, unity should be first choice as it shows that linux can provide modern ui experiences to rival the most established players out there, whilst giving freedom and doing it all for no cost.

that is the most reasonable defense i have heard regarding unity. personally after a half hour it made bash my head into a wall, but it is pretty. but heck linux doesnt have an ugly desktop. that is unless you like ugly ones and purposfully make it ugly.
i mean all in good humor though.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”