Install KDE Desktop over GNOME 3?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxidemil

Install KDE Desktop over GNOME 3?

Post by linuxidemil »

Hello again, what I'm trying to do here is to install KDE desktop, then remove the GNOME 3 desktop on Linux Mint 12..

Right now I've the Linux Mint 12 Gnome edition.. and want to install KDE over it without actually downloading the KDE image and reinstall everything etc.. if that's possible..

On Ubuntu you can just simple type

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
( to install KDE interface and applications ) then

sudo apt-get remove activity-log-manager-common activity-log-manager-control-center doc-base duplicity empathy empathy-common eog espeak espeak-data evince evince-common evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common example-content
<< this code will remove all the Gnome apps including the interface/desktop, so you stay with a pure KDE desktop.. these are some of the apps, the list is longer, but tried to keep it short

Is there a similar way to do this on Mint?

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hellfire695

Re: Install KDE Desktop over GNOME 3?

Post by hellfire695 »

If want kde without gnome then why not download the kde edition?
linuxidemil

Post by linuxidemil »

hellfire695 wrote:If want kde without gnome then why not download the kde edition?
Internet quite slow and don't have any USB sticks or CDs left.. lol.. but that wasn't my question :P
hellfire695

Post by hellfire695 »

Well i do apologize but yes mint uses ubuntu's repositories
so yeah that might work but that method can cause issues

but in short yes same technique
bu99zy

Post by bu99zy »

For the full KDE

sudo apt-get install kde-full
Standard KDE

sudo apt-get install kde-standard
Minimal

sudo apt-get install kde-plasma-desktop
You won't need to remove any gnome items
linuxidemil

Post by linuxidemil »

bu99zy wrote:For the full KDE

Standard KDE

Minimal

That's what I was looking for, thanks mate, btw JUST in case.. if I ever need gnome back, is there a terminal code for getting gnome, thanks again :)
bu99zy

Post by bu99zy »

linuxidemil wrote:
That's what I was looking for, thanks mate, btw JUST in case.. if I ever need gnome back, is there a terminal code for getting gnome, thanks again :)
You're welcome.

Gnome will still be there, those commands won't remove it. I would also leave Gnome on your computer, trying to remove it might remove an essential library/dependency and could mess up your install. It is handy to have a backup Desktop Environment in case you damage KDE.
Last edited by bu99zy on Wed May 16, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

linuxidemil wrote:
bu99zy wrote:For the full KDE

Standard KDE

Minimal

You choose it in the login screen which session, but if you uninstall gnome it's sudo apt-get install mint-meta-gnome. Also, if you want Mint KDE add the kde repos (gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list and add "deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ Lisa-KDE Main Upstream Import" then install mint-meta-kde.
linuxidemil

Post by linuxidemil »

Yep, everything went well for me, used KDE for a few days but I prefer Gnome to KDE, ( mostly Cinnamon ).. but I still have KDE, no need to remove it anyway, I might try it again in the future, always loved exploring things little by little.. :)
main

Post by main »

I have launched Synaptic and it offers me both of
kubuntu-desktop and kde-full
(as well as all the others)
what are the advantages of each ?
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

The kubuntu-desktop contain Kubuntu branding, so your Mint will look like Kubuntu. The kde-full doesn't have any brandings.
Kde-full has many applications, whereas kubuntu-desktop has applications which come with Kubuntu. You can mark them to see which applications will be installed.
You should also consider kde-standard or kde-plasma-desktop, they are lighter and contain fewer applications.

Return to “Software & Applications”