poor performance of LMDE live media from USB

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
yoshi314

poor performance of LMDE live media from USB

Post by yoshi314 »

Hi all, i've transferred LMDE iso to usb stick and setup syslinux and generally made it boot properly, just as livecd/livedvd would.

The problem is incredibly poor I/O performance. It takes a few seconds for anything to start, boot time is quite long. It feels as if the system is struggling with some intensive task.

No other live system has such problems on this usb device, and i have quite a few of them in there.

The behavior is consistent across different computers. It doesn't seem to be limited to any specific application - everything starts up very slowly on mint, all other systems work fairly quickly.

Out of experimentation, i've unpacked mint's squashfs image, stripped it of unnecessary locale files (localepurge). packed it again (with xz compression, as it was probably packed before). And put it again on the very same stick overwriting the old file.

This time LMDE started working much more snappy. Could there be a problem with squashfs image generation that might impact read performance, (maybe it's optimized for CD sector size?) or anything similar?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: poor performance of LMDE live media from USB

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator

Return to “LMDE Archive”