Linux Mint 13 "Maya" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 13 "Maya" RC released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 13 “Maya” RC. Available in two editions, Linux Mint 13 features the choice between a productive, stable and mature MATE 1.2 desktop and the brand new modern-looking and exciting Cinnamon 1.4. These two desktops are among the best available, they’re perfectly integrated within Linux [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2010
HaddadRC

Re: Linux Mint 13 "Maya" RC released!

Post by HaddadRC »

Great news :D
I really like the "old" MATE 1.2
spegru
Level 3
Level 3

Post by spegru »

I've installed it already. Looks very similar to Mint12 with Cinnamon - which is very nice.
Also it correctly recognised my netbook trackpad automatically, an improvement - as is the latest Libreoffice 3.5
Only slight bugbear was that the installeation crashed several times when running from a usb stick, so I had to use a DVD

Overall though it looks very professional indeed.
Clem, I'd love to know what your long term plans for Mint are. I am wondering about system admin tools for managing remote mint installations perhaps

Very well done!
moorewarner

Post by moorewarner »

Very excited to see this hit the wire. I am loading it up in Virtualbox as I type, and will burn and boot tomorrow for a hardware check.

The last two (2) versions had a regression related to the chipset on a Tenda usb wireless NIC that required adding a a blacklist entry, if that is still the same I will report.

Well done Mint folks! :)
antikythera

Post by antikythera »

Almost perfect timing. Why? Because at work I have been asked to assemble an Internet Kiosk for hotel guests to use with next to no budget. The only purchase I can make being a new monitor (and possibly a keyboard and mouse) for the legacy Dell Dimension base unit I have to work with. So the fact the LM 13 is in RC just when I need to get my hands dirty with this project is a godsend. It will allow me to deliver a machine that is locked down securely, easy to use without being resource hungry, hopefully very stable (using MATE) and most importantly supported for 5 years with updates etc.
jrmckenzie1965

Post by jrmckenzie1965 »

Is there going to be a KDE version of Linux Mint 13? Preferably both a 32 & 64 Bit version.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

jrmckenzie1965 wrote:Is there going to be a KDE version of Linux Mint 13? Preferably both a 32 & 64 Bit version.
Yes, but patience please :) The developers can't work on everything at the same time.
Yardbird

Post by Yardbird »

How can I install linux mint 13 RC?
There is no iso file?
How do I create a live CD?
Thank you
antman

Post by antman »

Yardbird wrote:How can I install linux mint 13 RC?
There is no iso file?
Thank you
The iso files are listed here: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2010

To create a live USB use: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

Does the release of two versions mean that Cinnamon and Mate cannot co-exist? I like to have both available. Is it preferable to install one before the other?

Thanks

DrTeeth
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can install any additional desktop environments that you want. You can add Cinnamon to a MATE installation, or vice versa (or add KDE, Xfce or whichever you want :)).
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

This is exciting!
MALLOW

Post by MALLOW »

greate news i not try i waiting final
but i want this program on final

GDebi Package
VLC Media Player
Codecs for totem player
pulseaudio-equalizer
ubuntu-tweak
classicmenu-indicator
Gnome Tweak Tool
BleachBit
dictionery arabic - english (of line)
Yardbird

Post by Yardbird »

antman wrote:
Yardbird wrote:How can I install linux mint 13 RC?
There is no iso file?
Thank you
The iso files are listed here: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2010

To create a live USB use: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
Thank you for the quick reply! Looks very interesting!
battlecat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by battlecat »

Hello:

I recently (read last night) installed Mint 12. I did not realize that 13 was coming out when I burned Mint 12 a few weeks ago.

Now that I have Mint 12 installed on my machine is there a way to upgrade to Mint 13? I know that in the standard Ubuntu install it would have an upgrade feature. Does Mint have this?

Also can someone point me to a concise list of the differences between the two competing desktops in Mint13? I currently still use Fluxbox as my preferred desktop.

Thank you!
Battlecat
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

See this tutorial for upgrade: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2. It is done differently than on Ubuntu.

With currently Linux Mint 12 installed, why not just install Cinnamon and have a look to compare? From the login window you can select which session to run (click the gearwheel icon in the top right of the login box). And if you want, you can install Fluxbox. Just because Cinnamon or MATE is the default installed desktop environment for Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon and MATE editions doesn't mean you can easily install another desktop environment.
fantab

Post by fantab »

Are torrent .iso active to download 'Maya'? I tried and cannot download from here.

Are there any specific ports that LinuxMint uses for its torrent .iso? I use iptables hence the question.

Is there an alternate source to download torrent .iso for Maya?
moorewarner

Post by moorewarner »

xenopeek wrote:You can install any additional desktop environments that you want. You can add Cinnamon to a MATE installation, or vice versa (or add KDE, Xfce or whichever you want :)).
I also want both running and am running into issues, this is from a post to the announcement blog post,
I seem to be having issues with installing *both* Mate and Cinnamon. I have tried both ways, adding Cinnamon to Mate, and Mate to Cinnamon. With mate added on it seems to come up in fall-back mode and with Cinnamon added on Synaptic throws up this error,

Code: Select all

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mint-info-cinnamon_2012.05.02_amd64.deb: trying to overwrite ‘/etc/linuxmint/info’, which is also in package mint-info-mate 2012.05.02
Where is the best place to search for and report issues, forum, other? I can’t imagine it’s the comments section of this blog post. ;)

Stoked that M13 has hit, go Mint go!
(these installs are inside the current virtualbox)

I will also ask here, where is the best place to report and learn of issues?
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

The Cinammon version works great, but why is there no file manager? Could it be something to do with my old setup? I have installed Nautilus and Gnome Commander but neither work so I will have to choose between Dolphin, Thunar, PCManFM or Xfe.
Last edited by ChrisOfBristol on Sun May 20, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

ChrisOfBristol wrote:Cinammon works great, but why is there no file manager? Could it be something to do with my old setup? I have installed Nautilus and Gnome Commander but neither work so I will have to choose between Dolphin, Thunar, PCManFM or Xfe.
Trying launching Nautilus from the terminal, to see if it gives any errors. Open a terminal and run:

nautilus
Configuration files for Nautilus you can find with the following command. Maybe temporarily rename those folders, to see if that is the problem.

find ~ -iname nautilus

Return to “Releases & Announcements”