boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mavr83firenze

boot

Post by mavr83firenze »

I want to start saying that i love what you're doing, you're putting a great effort to realize a great distro. Buti also wanted to point out that the latest release seems to have too many problems on booting live. And it makes me quite sad to see that you're preparing a new realease rather then work on fixing this issues first. Anyway. The good old Celena worked like a charm for me, with the same boot options the latest version even doesn't boot. So i guess i'll stick with the old one. But i would really love to see an explanation of this somewhere, rather then read a silly wiki that gives you 3-4 commands to try to combine without knowing why.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: boot

Post by Husse »

Daryna does not have more problems booting the live CD than previous versions, but it has some other problems. Some of them will be overcome with Elyssa
The wiki is not silly, it's just mostly outdated as the main problem it is to solve no longer exists (almost)
The few commands are those generally given in different forums
You tell me how to find out more about this when you don't have this kind of problems....
We can't and don't have several dozen motherboards and as many video cards to experiment with
However the wiki needs an overhaul
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hardy will arrive in april and Elyssa main could be released maybe a month later - somewhat longer delay than normal as it is a LTS edition and probably needs more work
mavr83firenze

Post by mavr83firenze »

I didn't mean to offend anybody on my post there. I told you i appreciate so much what you're doing here. I just complained that the community efforts in my opinion should first focus on solve the issues for this release rather than work on another realease. I don't think its a matter of battling up with ubuntu trying to follow their rythms, i think its a matter of do a good job realising a stable distro, full out of the box. What is the point if the box doesn't even boot :D ?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well not much if it does not boot.
However Hardy has so many new and useful features that will really help with among other things boot that not making an edition would be wrong
mavr83firenze

Post by mavr83firenze »

Hi again. I am trying the new KDE edition. This one boots fine without any trouble, I still don't understand why? What has been changed? It still is Daryna, so nothing should change. Well, if they have changed something i suggest they should work again on the gnome versione and update it with the new one.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

As Husse pointed out, Mint is run by a rather small group and don't have access to a ton of different hardware combinations, so finding all these errors are next to impossible. As for why you fail to boot, there could be a million reasons. Maybe you have a bad CD, maybe it is something debex doesn't like, maybe it is some conflicts with drivers etc etc. But what I really would like to see is an alternate install cd, with a text based installer, but this is more for the Fluxbox and XFCE CE...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Fred

Post by Fred »

mavr83firenze,

This thread sure does sound suspect. The KDE version boots fine, the old Mint version boots fine, but the new Mint 4 main doesn't boot?

Are you absolutely sure your problems weren't related to a bad cd? Did you burn it at 4X speed in a RAW mode and then check the md5 sum with the one posted on the download site?

A bad download, or bad cd, or bad burn can really cause some confusing problems.

Just a couple random thoughts. :-)

Fred
Husse

Post by Husse »

I agree with Fred, but a little info may shed some light over the situation
The main edition was forked of Ubuntu Edgy with Barbara and has evolved ever since
The Daryna KDE version is based on Gutsy Kubuntu so there are some differnces
Not an ideal situation perhaps to have versions so different...
mavr83firenze

Post by mavr83firenze »

I am burning the cd again for the third time. i've checked the md5 of the iso and it is correct. I'll write again in a while.
mavr83firenze

Post by mavr83firenze »

it look like it has always been a bad cd problem :( I am really sorry. I changed from a cd to dvd and it works now.
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

mavr83firenze wrote: I changed from a cd to dvd and it works now.
Yes, you maybe won't believe this, but I have seen more than once where a DVD-R does not work but a DVD-RW does.........go figure ??
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
Husse

Post by Husse »

Quality of the respective disk?

Return to “Installation & Boot”