[Solved] Ivy bridge randomly freezes

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Honest Mistake

[Solved] Ivy bridge randomly freezes

Post by Honest Mistake »

Last week I got myself a brand new Ivy Bridge system (Z77 board, i5 3570K CPU, no graphics card yet - I'm using integrated Intel solution for now) and I've installed LMDE 201204 64-bit (using MATE). Right from the start I had these random freezes. Sometimes the system would work for hours without problems, sometimes it would freeze in minutes. The freeze is a complete show-stopper: no keyboard, no console, no Alt+SysRq, no log messages, no nothing. It would just stop until I pulled the plug on it (literally).

The only thing I noticed is that the system always hangs when I'm actually working on it. I can leave it running a stress test and when I come back hours later everything is working. Five minutes later it freezes when I click a menu item, button or panel icon - every freeze happened at the moment I was interacting with the the interface in some way.

At first I thought hardware issues, so I tested memory (no errors after 5 hours run) and stress tested the CPU (core temperatures below 55°C, no problems). I installed Windows 7 on a different drive and tested it for a full day - no problems. It could still be a problem with my LMDE drive, but I doubt it - that drive didn't have any problem on my older system.

Now I'm thinking that the problem is in the lack of support for the Intel graphics - that the drivers for Ivy Bridge simply aren't there yet in Debian Testing (and in LMDE). For that reason and following advice in this thread I installed newer kernel from http://liquorix.net/. I am now in my 7th hour without a horrible crash - a new record.

If my luck continues to hold for the rest of the week I will mark this thread as solved. If not, ... well, let's just hope the solution to my problem really is that simple. Anyway, maybe this thread could help somebody else with similar problems.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Honest Mistake

Re: Ivy bridge randomly freezes

Post by Honest Mistake »

Well, I'm calling it fixed now - not a single crash since. Hopefully the newer kernel will come to LMDE soon enough.
ssully

Re: [Solved] Ivy bridge randomly freezes

Post by ssully »

I can confirm both the bug and fix.

System: i5 3570K, H77 chipset, LMDE 201204 (amd_64) using Cinnamon
Bug: seemingly random freezes requiring hard restart (see OP for additional details)
Fix: update to a kernel version newer than 3.2

Note: at the time of writing, liquorix is up to kernel 3.4, which introduces an unmet dependency in the form of gcc-4.7; the dependency can be satisfied by installing gcc-4.7 (currently available in the debian sid repo) then installing the liquorix kernel packages.

Select References:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ix#p567949
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 26#p567726
http://r3dux.org/2011/09/how-to-install ... l-in-lmde/
rebelxt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebelxt »

I installed the liquorix kernel and still have the problem.

My system: ASUS P8Z77-M Pro mobo, i5-3550 CPU, Linux Mint 13 (maya) 64bit.
Honest Mistake

Post by Honest Mistake »

I'm sorry to hear that. To be completely honest, I did have 2 lock-ups since I posted here last (and none lately). So it's possible that newer kernel didn't completely fix the issue, just made it much, much rarer.

Unfortunately, I can't really offer to you any help for your problem. Is it possible it's hardware issues?
jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

I had the same issue with lockups on Inspiron 15R 5520 w/ Ivy Bridge HM77 Express Chipset, i5-3210M, also besides wrong x-offsetting of the screen with the i915 module from LMDE 201204's 3.2.x Kernel (amd64) when i915.modeset=1 (the default), centered screen with modeset=0, but virtual terminals break. The ultimate solution for me was also upgrading to Liquorix 3.4.x kernel (and perhaps also installing a recent fglrx driver - ver 12.6). Details on my experiences here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&t=112234
rebelxt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebelxt »

I have been running the 3.4.3 kernel for nearly three months now without a freeze, so I believe the solution is just to have a kernel of this version or newer.
jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

Sure, I ran both 3.4.x and 3.5.x (liquorix) for long times and they performed rather well. My only gripe, power management was no longer as good as in 3.2.3. This is fixed in 3.6.x
Ran 3.6 since RC7 -- at least 10days on RC7 (siduction), then 3.6.0 (aptosid), then 3.6.2 and 3.6.3 (liquorix).
Not a freeze with any of the mentioned kernels anytime. Power management is perfect on ivy bridge in 3.6.x, and when tuned up right, matches best optimized (and beats untuned) windows 7. ~9ish watts on 15" laptop with a spinner drive.

Return to “LMDE Archive”