Mint with Debian or Ubuntu?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintWithaHole

Mint with Debian or Ubuntu?

Post by MintWithaHole »

I've just discovered Mint and as the highest rated Linux distro on Distrowatch I am eager to try it.!

Some time ago I settled on Debian, but eventually found that the libraries were not getting updated frequestly enough and that some packages would not run and complained. This prompted me to move to Ubuntu which seemed much more up to date and is based on Debian. I have now used Ubuntu for some 2 years. Unfortunatley, I do not like what Ubuntu is doing with Unity, and in particular that they are making things difficult for those of us who want to stick with Gnome. I am also put off by the way the developpers are responding to anyone who dares to raise any objection or query regarding the way Unity is implemented. One of the advantages of Linux (or most Unix'es) is supposed to be the fact that you can choose your Window management system, whether that be Gnome, KDE, XFCE or anything else.

Mint, being based on Ubuntu seems the ideal alternative choice and that is one of the distro's that I have downloaded to try. However, since Ubuntu is based on Debian, why is there an addition of a Debian based variant? How up to date is the codebase? Why would I choose one above the other?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint with Debian or Ubuntu?

Post by xenopeek »

[Moved here by moderator]
MintWithaHole

Post by MintWithaHole »

Moderator,

Why has this been moved to chat?

I'm asking a technical question not engaging in general chit chat.
Please move my thread back to a technical forum.

Thanks.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

The debian edition is based on debian testing....so there can be breakage sometimes....if you like stability and current applications it is best to go with the ubuntu based mint...it is generally much more stable...even installing the debian edition isn't as simple as the ubuntu based version...you have to do manual partitioning when setting it up...it is a rolling release so technically that means you would never need to re-install...but still if you got some serious breakage you might end up having to do that anyway...so no guarantees... :wink:

Mint 13, based on Ubuntu 12.04 will get updates for 5 years, which is pretty cool if you want to stick with it for a long time...
I played with the debian edition twice...and always ended up coming back to either mint main edition (ubuntu based) or ubuntu itself...
So to me, it wasn't worth the hassle....though many here love it...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

MintWithaHole wrote:Why has this been moved to chat?
You are asking for input to help you choose the one over the other. To get a balanced answer to that, moved it here as the forum where you put it is specific to Linux Mint Main Edition (the Ubuntu based one, where the forum members may be biased [with all due respect to those that are not] or not know enough about LMDE). Chat about Linux Mint is the right place for it, here is where opinions about Linux Mint come together :wink:
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

craig10x wrote:..but still if you got some serious breakage you might end up having to do that anyway...so no guarantees... :wink: .
That is the rub for me. I will be getting a second computer with Linux pretty soon,but still the worries about something critical going to pot worries me...Still,I tried the Debian release live the other day and it was a true delight. :mrgreen:
As of now,I'm waiting for the Compiz stuff to be sorted out in the Mint ltr and am leaning towards that.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
MintWithaHole

Post by MintWithaHole »

Thanks for the replies. I will probably stick to the mainstream Ubuntu based release and watch this space on the Debian version. I was also beginning to look at Xubuntu but Mint seems rather more polished. I appreciate the feedback.
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

I also looked at Xubuntu but support is only three years....Just tried running Mint 13 Mate edition live..Looks good. Pick the ones you like and run them live and flip a coin. :D
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”