Disable Window Roll linuxmint-xfce-201104

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dabgdk

Disable Window Roll linuxmint-xfce-201104

Post by dabgdk »

I wish to disable the "window roll" or "shade" feature because employees keep rolling up calc windows with the mouse wheel and thinking that they lost all their work.

I found this: http://ffct.cc/xfce-disable-window-roll-up/ which explains that the command to disable rolling only works for XFCE 4.8.

I am fairly certain that the version of Mint Linux that I am using has XFCE version 4.6.

So, how do I disable roll up feature without upgrading? If I have to download source code and recompile it after modifying code, so be it. My problem is that I don't even know where to begin.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Disable Window Roll linuxmint-xfce-201104

Post by jjaythomas »

How activating??

1) if double click Window Bar (not normally default) can change from Main Menu-settings-Window Manager... click advance tab for setting.

2) If using icon on window bar (again not default) as above in style tab (default tab) drag and drop icon into hidden.

3) If accidentally hitting shortcut key? delete shortcut as above on the keyboard tab. (normally default is to have none)

If other way? probably a setting some where?Let us know

P.S. I like to put the shade icon (#2) on the opposite side of the window bar (for accidents and easy see window underneath), being by itself it easy to see the state in (icon animates in most styles) and can rectify how-ever happened :oops:

J.Jay
dabgdk

Post by dabgdk »

The shade or roll is activating by mousewheel. (Move mouse over title bar, then use middle mouse wheel). There is not an option to disable this behavior in the gui.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Actually thats not shading it's probally changing the (virtual desktop) :oops: Does window bar also disapear?

That setting can be disabled from the 'Window Manager Tweaks' usually 1st option under workspaces tab.

or chang to only use one(1) workspace. Can change number(#) of virtual workspaces from Setting-Workspaces (tho handy to multi-task if know how to use :wink: )

J.Jay
EDIT
P.S. are you sure running XFWM (XFCE Window manager) thats also (as actual Shade/roll) feature of Metacity (Gnome)
Check in session that Metacity and/or nautilus not running, only XFCE stuff (XFWM)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Sorry about above actually roll your talking of can be turned off.

1. go to settings>setting editor
2.click on xfwm4 in 'chanel side bar
3.click on general to display tree list and find one called 'mouesewheel_rollup'
4.click on to highlight and click edit icon at top of window
5. its a Bool so all you need to do is uncheck enable box.
6.save

shouldn,t happen again

J.Jay
dabgdk

Post by dabgdk »

Unfortunately, 'mouesewheel_rollup' does not show up in that list. A lot of other options that are there suggest to me that the 'mouesewheel_rollup' option SHOULD be here, but it is not.

I cannot 'Add a New Property' either. Perhaps if I run as root? Cannot find the terminal equivalent of 'Settings Editor', though.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Sorry I think that must be a 4.8 (xfwm4) adittion? :oops:

If this is a Mint Debian Edition or a Main edition (mint9-Xfce?) based on Ubuntu 11.04?

J.Jay
P.S. (Can't remember all the 'LMDE's' ISO dates they only list most recent one.)

Return to “Xfce”