Mint 13 (Maya) RC out

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
verden

Re: Mint 13 (Maya) RC out

Post by verden »

I just installed LM13 Cinnamon x64 on my mid 2011 iMac. Am really really happy with the result, everything works, only had to install the ATI driver :D
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Yeah, nautilus-gksu isn't even in the repos available for install this time. There's a good chance it will find its way in one form or another into the final release, though, clem probably misses it as much as the next minter
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

realitykid wrote:
Jose Manuel wrote:Well, I got the two versions of Linux Mint 13 RC, both are felt very fast, especially with the MATE desktop version. The desktop Cinnamon did not load on my machine, since it still needs graphics acceleration, so I loaded a desktop fallback mode that really works well. I found a great ugly bug in both editions: They have problems to connecting to the Internet, cost me several times using the Network Manager and I recognized the connection to the Internet, nor walked me using "sudo pppoeconf". Hopefully this is corrected in the final version should be borne in account that it is an LTS version.-
I've tested the internet connection both wired and wireless, and both work flawlessly. I don't know why it isn't working for you correctly. What kind of network card are you using? And is it wired or wireless?
In my case it is a wired Internet connection. Today I went to try the two versions and was able to go online, but I had to put the password over and over again until the Network Manager to accept me. What anger. Besides you open the terminal and run dear old command "sudo pppoeconf" and seems to ignore it completely. Please note, not installed, this bug is on the Live DVD, but with all the other versions of Linux Mint as both Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, etc., It was not. Hopefully this is resolved in the final version, since it is regrettable for a LTS. A shame because apart from this great detail really shows is a much more fluid and solid than the last version.-
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Jose Manuel wrote:
realitykid wrote:A shame because apart from this great detail really shows is a much more fluid and solid than the last version.-
A shame?
That pppoeconf is not installed in the live-cd doesn't mean that is not in the definitive installation:

You must remember that a live-cd or live-dvd is a very limited media, so it is impossible to pack everything a user could need/wish in such media, certain things are left to the definitive (hard drive) installation.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Are there any members trying LM 13 RC with an ATI-card? Somehow I couldn't get LM 12 to work on my computer....but is the situation improved now? I mean out-of-the-box and without doing difficult configuring in the terminal :)
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

@midas: It works fine OOBE on an ATI Radeon HD2600pro, either in LM12 before and after Cinnamon install or in LM 13 RC/Cinnamon.

Edit: (cf Desktop 2 in my signature).
Edit 2: I never make use of the ATI fglrx proprietary drivers - maybe were you wondering about ATI-fglrx stability issues ?
Last edited by eanfrid on Sat May 19, 2012 4:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

midas wrote:Are there any members trying LM 13 RC with an ATI-card? Somehow I couldn't get LM 12 to work on my computer....but is the situation improved now? I mean out-of-the-box and without doing difficult configuring in the terminal :)
With the Cinnamon edition it could be a challenge. With MATE, yes, the ATI-card would work. If you did use the Cinnamon edition, the gnome fallback mode is quite nice for graphic cards that don't work with cinnamon. My suggestion would to try Cinnamon in the live dvd mode and see.
Edit: by challenge I mean that it could be, not that it will be. Some people have had successes, and for some people it hasn't worked.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

OK thanks!! I think I prefer Cinnamon or KDE. So I will give Cinnamon a spin when it's final or wait till LM 13 KDE. KDE seems to me the less problematic with ATI-cards right now. Thanks again for replying :wink:
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

Maya RC 'cinnamon' 64bit runs greate here, at the moment no problems with it.
Thank you Clem and team :wink:
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
undoIT

Post by undoIT »

esteban1uy wrote:
altair4 wrote:Just on the off chance that anybody actually wants to know how to do that this is my best guess:
Menu > Administration > Login Window > Local > Style > choose " Plain with Face Browser"
Perhaps there's another way?
That's it.
The other way is stepping in front of your pc shouting:
For it is Linus Torvalds who command you...
The majestic Clement Lefebvre commands you..
Richard Stallman himself commands you...
Reveal yourself daemon!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hahaha. Yeah. and then...

Code: Select all

sudo open-sesame && make-me-a-sandwich
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Yes, nothing's more effective than good ol' xorg-cism.

By the way, did you notice this: Linux Mint 13 Release Candidate is a Precise alternative (linuxuser.co.uk).
selittl

Post by selittl »

I found cinnamon too buggy with ati drivers so installed the MATE RC instead. I find it extremely stable. Also find xfce 4.10 very stable. Running with xfce, cairo dock and clock. No problems! Good job Clem and team! Kudos!

And yes, that's GIMP 2.8 you see!
Java_Az

Post by Java_Az »

midas wrote:Are there any members trying LM 13 RC with an ATI-card? Somehow I couldn't get LM 12 to work on my computer....but is the situation improved now? I mean out-of-the-box and without doing difficult configuring in the terminal :)
I have a a ATI fire pro V4800 and it works great as long as i dont install the ATI drivers. I do have to use the terminal to set the refresh rate though since they took that option out of the display settings ( at least in Cinnamon ) Some reason it sets my refresh rate @ 30Hz on this 37 inch HDTV. Running xrandr in the terminal is a must do for me. Really not a smart thing taking the refresh rate out of the display setting , for sure can run noobs off if they cant set there monitor properly on the live CD or a fresh install.
lehjr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lehjr »

Running great here, after using the PenDriveLinux installer to create a liveUSB setup (because the the startup disk creator (in Ubuntu 12.04) failed to produce anything bootable and the liveUSB Unetbootin produced was all kinds of buggy). The only issue I see is one that crept into Ubuntu 12.04 recently, which is the error "could not write byte: broken pipe" message just before the login screen.
Olson

Post by Olson »

As usual.. want to remove pulseaudio and just use ALSA, is there some updated guide to acheive this, or I just wing it :)
bdoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bdoe »

cariyawa wrote:I am also having problem wth fglrx driver with cinnamon in my desktop. I also have the following problem too.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 02#p580202

I am going to try MATE and see how it works. I really don't care about eye candy. I just need a solid OS that works.
I just wanted to chime in here to state that the fglrx problems are not unique to Cinnamon, but rather it's an upstream problem. I'm currently running OpenSuse 12.1 using Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell, and the fglrx driver has issues here as well. If Cinnamon is based on Gnome Shell, then it's quite possible that Cinnamon has inherited its problems with ATI's driver.

Hopefully this gets addressed either upstream, or Clem can find and squish these bugs himself, because I'm considering changing over to Mint w/ Cinnamon if it proves to be more stable than what I have now.
outfieldgrass

Post by outfieldgrass »

I installed Mint 13 Maya, added XFCE 4.10 and removed Cinnamon. So far its been 2 full days and its very stable and the performance is great. Nothing against Cinnamon or Mate but I feel XFCE offers more of what I am looking for.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

bdoe wrote:If Cinnamon is based on Gnome Shell, then it's quite possible that Cinnamon has inherited its problems with ATI's driver.
Exactly. Maybe the problems are even coming from Clutter, as Gnome Shell and Cinnamon (in fact the Mutter / Muffin window managers behind them) use that library for (OpenGL) rendering.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Linux Mint 13 (64-bit) installed just fine on my desktop PC* but I can't perform any updates due to Ubuntu's "precise" repos being down or overloaded. I can't even get the update manager to successfully refresh since download speeds are less than 10 bytes/sec. Switching update servers doesn't work either since it's not Mint's repos causing the problem. Heh, this usually this happens on a new Linux Mint release because the Mint repos are choked. Not this time though. :D

*Intel Core 2 Quad, 8.0 GB DDR2, 1.0 TB HDD, Nvidia GT 430 w/1.0 GB DDR3 memory.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
jaws222

Post by jaws222 »

outfieldgrass wrote:I installed Mint 13 Maya, added XFCE 4.10 and removed Cinnamon. So far its been 2 full days and its very stable and the performance is great. Nothing against Cinnamon or Mate but I feel XFCE offers more of what I am looking for.
I think I'll go the XFCE route too when I do my install. I have Mint 12 with Cinnamon on my laptop and it runs flawlessly but have had issues running Cinnamon on my desktops with ATI drivers. I still have a Mint 11 version running the XFCE and absolutely love it and luckily I have it until October of this year until the support runs out. Yes, like you said nothing against Cinnamon but XFCE has been around longer and is time-tested and IMO is the best DE out there. AS for MATE, that would be my second choice. Might go that route too, who knows. :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”