Cannot rename eth1 back to eth0

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dclement

Cannot rename eth1 back to eth0

Post by dclement »

Hello,

My default cable network interface is called eth1 by LMDE (XFCE). That's fine for me and my network is working very well.

However, I have some awkward (proprietary) software (which I have to use for professional reasons) that requires activating, and this process won't complete without an eth0 network interface!

I have found solutions involving the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. I have tried to edit it and set the name for my ethernet card back to eth0. But no luck, it's still called eth1 when I restart.

What am I missing?

TIA, regards - Daniel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Axzercion

Re: Cannot rename eth1 back to eth0

Post by Axzercion »

You can find the answer at http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/udev.htm
However instead of creating a new file in /etc/udev/rules.d, you can just modify 70-persistent-net.rules (as the file is called on my system)
After that you still need to modify /etc/network/interfaces to reflect the change you've made.
Also in case you cannot ping hostnames on your local domain, modify /etc/nsswitch.conf where you will find a line hosts: files dns, which you will need to modify to: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

That solved all of my networking problems in LMDE
dclement

[SOLVED] Re: Cannot rename eth1 back to eth0

Post by dclement »

Thank you Axzercion for the valuable link.
Axzercion wrote:You can find the answer at http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/udev.htm
However instead of creating a new file in /etc/udev/rules.d, you can just modify 70-persistent-net.rules
That was my mistake: I made backups of the original file, but I left them in the same directory (silly me). I'm almost sure that udev was still taking these "backups" files for real.
After that you still need to modify /etc/network/interfaces to reflect the change you've made.
That part of the Debian tutorial caused me some hair-scratching. My eth0 was there (ifconfig confirmed it), but Network Manager kept saying that the wired network card was "not managed".

I finally got this sorted out thanks to this thread (essentially, write managed=true in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf). I believe that if there had been no reference at all to eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces, I wouldn't have had this last problem.

However, I wonder how all this worked, because under system > services, udev is unchecked in my case...

Return to “LMDE Archive”