[SOLVED] Default user / username at login window

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
undoIT

[SOLVED] Default user / username at login window

Post by undoIT »

Just finished installing Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon on my Macbook Air. Loving it so far :D

One minor annoyance is that I have to enter my username and password everytime I login to the desktop. How can I set the login window so that my username is automatically selected and all I have to do is enter my password?

I've looked through the expected settings, couldn't find anything, and I also tried hacking the lightdm.conf with (gksu gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf) :

Code: Select all

default-user=<myusername>
It is still requiring that I type my username at login.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sunewbie

Re: Default user / username at login window

Post by sunewbie »

Did not try Mint 13 RC

However, it is available in as a check box in users and groups.

search for it in the cinnamon menu and you should be able to find it. Currently I am not on LM, on XP.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

undoIT

Post by undoIT »

esteban1uy wrote:Take a look at this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p579931
Actually, that isn't ideal because I still have to click on the user before entering password. The LDM login theme was much more attractive in Linux Mint 12. Perhaps this is just a place holder for LM13 until the new theme is finished for final release. I sure hope so, the current login window is not very newb friendly in terms of first impressions.
undoIT

Post by undoIT »

Actually, it looks like LightDM isn't even installed. What is Linux Mint 13 useing for login window?
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

MDM, a fork of old GDM.
undoIT

Post by undoIT »

esteban1uy wrote:MDM, a fork of old GDM.
Strange choice. Is it possible to switch to LDM?
undoIT

Post by undoIT »

sudo apt-get install lightdm unity-greeter lightdm-gtk-greeter
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
Hit Enter to Ok and then select lightdm.

Next:

gksudo gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf/
add the following and save:

[SeatDefaults]
user-session=cinnamon
greeter-session=unity-greeter
(you can also set the greeter to lightdm-gtk-greeter)

Reboot. Aaaaaaah. Relief!

The next step is not required, but if you are feeling naughty...

sudo apt-get remove mdm mint-mdm-themes
This will remove mdm.
Last edited by undoIT on Thu May 31, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BopNiblets

Post by BopNiblets »

undoIT wrote:

sudo apt-get install lightdm
Hit Enter to Ok and then select lightdm. Reboot. Aaaaaaah. Relief!
Argh, this gives the purpley Ubuntu login, is the old Mint login theme on gnome-look somewhere, does anyone have it handy?
undoIT

Post by undoIT »

BopNiblets wrote:Argh, this gives the purpley Ubuntu login, is the old Mint login theme on gnome-look somewhere, does anyone have it handy?
If you choose one of the default wallpapers, the purpley thing appears very briefly and then changes to the wallpaper. There is a way you can hack the default wallpaper list so that your custom wallpaper is included (as I remember, LDM reverts back to purpley thing in Ubuntu if you set a custom wallpaper). Hopefully, Mint releases an official LDM greeter.

I just found this and I'm going to give it a try.

http://mintnext.wordpress.com/2012/02/1 ... ackground/
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

undoIT wrote:
esteban1uy wrote:Take a look at this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p579931
Actually, that isn't ideal because I still have to click on the user before entering password. The LDM login theme was much more attractive in Linux Mint 12. Perhaps this is just a place holder for LM13 until the new theme is finished for final release. I sure hope so, the current login window is not very newb friendly in terms of first impressions.
Not really, just press your keyboard's up arrow key twice and the you're ready to type your password, nothing to click:

If you prefer a "themed with face browser" login, just press Tab and then the up arrow key and type your password (no click also):

By the way, there are lots of GDM themes that can be easily adapted to MDM:
Rüssel

Post by Rüssel »

undoIT wrote:

sudo apt-get install lightdm
Hit Enter to Ok and then select lightdm. Reboot. Aaaaaaah. Relief!

If you are feeling naughty...

sudo apt-get remove mdm mint-mdm-themes
I followed your instructions and wrote the first two lines in the terminal (not removing mdm), but the system fails to boot with lightdm. Instead the boot process interrupts with the following message:
"not starting mdm display manager; it is not the default display manager
saned disabled; edit /etc/default saned"

Now the system is completely unusable, and I dont know how to make lightdm running properly.

Please help!
undoIT

Post by undoIT »

Rüssel wrote:I followed your instructions and wrote the first two lines in the terminal (not removing mdm), but the system fails to boot with lightdm. Instead the boot process interrupts with the following message:

Now the system is completely unusable, and I dont know how to make lightdm running properly.

Please help!
Did you make sure to hit Enter at the OK prompt and then select lightdm after running:

undoIT

Post by undoIT »

esteban1uy wrote:Not really, just press your keyboard's up arrow key twice and the you're ready to type your password, nothing to click:

If you prefer a "themed with face browser" login, just press Tab and then the up arrow key and type your password (no click also):

By the way, there are lots of GDM themes that can be easily adapted to MDM:
These look very nice. But there are still two unnecessary keyboard clicks involved at the login window. I prefer username selected and cursor blinking in the password field, ready for action.
Rüssel

Post by Rüssel »

undoIT wrote:
Rüssel wrote:I followed your instructions and wrote the first two lines in the terminal (not removing mdm), but the system fails to boot with lightdm. Instead the boot process interrupts with the following message:

Please help!
Did you make sure to hit Enter at the OK prompt and then select lightdm after running:

Yes, I did hit enter at the OK prompt. Nonetheless the system doesnt boot. Now, I have to configure sth using the command line, I presume. But I have no idea what.
Please help, if possible
undoIT

Re: [SOLVED] Default user / username at login window

Post by undoIT »

After OK, there should be a list where you can select from mdm and lightdm. Did you change the selection to lightdm? If not, you could try booting into recovery mode and running sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm again from there.
Rüssel

Post by Rüssel »

undoIT wrote:After OK, there should be a list where you can select from mdm and lightdm. Did you change the selection to lightdm? If not, you could try booting into recovery mode and running sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm again from there.
Yes, I did both. I ran sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm a second time form the recovery mode, and selected again lightdm, but no change. Still booting is impossible, no change.
Any more ideas?
undoIT

Post by undoIT »

Rüssel wrote:Yes, I did both. I ran sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm a second time form the recovery mode, and selected again lightdm, but no change. Still booting is impossible, no change.
Any more ideas?
Based on the error message, it looks like the system is still trying to load mdm. It seems you followed all the steps I did to switch to lightdm. What is selected when you run dpkg-reconfigure before you change the selection? Is unity-greeter installed? Are you using the cinnamon version of Mint? Perhaps there is another depency that didn't get installed.
Rüssel

Post by Rüssel »

undoIT wrote:
Rüssel wrote:Yes, I did both. I ran sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm a second time form the recovery mode, and selected again lightdm, but no change. Still booting is impossible, no change.
Any more ideas?
Based on the error message, it looks like the system is still trying to load mdm. It seems you followed all the steps I did to switch to lightdm. What is selected when you run dpkg-reconfigure before you change the selection? Is unity-greeter installed? Are you using the cinnamon version of Mint? Perhaps there is another depency that didn't get installed.
In the meantime I removed mdm using the third line of your original code. Yet the system still hangs on boot.

Now there is nothing more to select when running dpkg-reconfigure. I think it was lightdm selected before.

I'm not sure if unity-greeter is installed. How can I find out from the recovery shell? Should it be installed or should it not be installed?

I am using the Mate edition of LM 13 RC.

Thank you for helping!
undoIT

Post by undoIT »

try running:

sudo apt-get install lightdm liblightdm-gobject-1-0 unity-greeter

Return to “Beginner Questions”