Couple quick questions for those tracking Testing/Sid

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
GeneC

Re: Couple quick questions for those tracking Testing/Sid

Post by GeneC »

Hey 'ZZ' :D

Sometimes 'testing' is a bigger pain than old 'SID'. :lol: Until recently SID has been as easy to maintain as 'testing'.
Was pleased to find this fix for the fonts. As I might have mentioned earlier. The Debian fonts (without the fix) looked fine on a small laptop screen, but on my large desktop monitor they were quite poor in Chrome.

Of my original LMDE install, all I have left that is Mint is the Mint menu... :lol:
But then, we have this fine community for support, and that makes all the difference. :wink:
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

And thanks, wayne, for the 411 on the font fix. I'm happy as a clam right now :D
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Just to run the thread even further off topic, in case someone is using Centos/Fedora/Redhat, fonts are almost unreadable in Chrome as well:
Fix Centos/Fedora/Redhat fonts:
http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2011/12/0 ... n-centos-6
Of course Centos is the "Debian Stable" of Redhat :-)
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

KBD47 wrote:Just to run the thread even further off topic, in case someone is using Centos/Fedora/Redhat, fonts are almost unreadable in Chrome as well:
Fix Centos/Fedora/Redhat fonts:
http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2011/12/0 ... n-centos-6
Of course Centos is the "Debian Stable" of Redhat :-)

KBD,
interesting to read... eventhou it is Off topic.

fyi, my Fuduntu (Fedora based) had no issue with font ( all default, I did not do anything) on general use as well as firefox/chromium. Fuduntu is officially gnome2, but I added xfce (with dev's help) sometime ago and yum update countless times with very little issues, still running without issues for a long time. a keeper for me.

also,
this partition, is one of the two that can run my asus i5/ati laptop with coolness equivalent to that of Win7. another one is Solus OS .
the Mint10 was a bit warm, mint11 cooks, mint12 cannot install ( :evil: )

So this laptop had Win7, Solus, Fuduntu. Good enough.. until perhaps kernel3 that resolved power issue become available and run cool out of the box.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

wayne128 wrote:
KBD,
interesting to read... eventhou it is Off topic.

fyi, my Fuduntu (Fedora based) had no issue with font ( all default, I did not do anything) on general use as well as firefox/chromium. Fuduntu is officially gnome2, but I added xfce (with dev's help) sometime ago and yum update countless times with very little issues, still running without issues for a long time. a keeper for me.

also,
this partition, is one of the two that can run my asus i5/ati laptop with coolness equivalent to that of Win7. another one is Solus OS .
the Mint10 was a bit warm, mint11 cooks, mint12 cannot install ( :evil: )

So this laptop had Win7, Solus, Fuduntu. Good enough.. until perhaps kernel3 that resolved power issue become available and run cool out of the box.
CentOS I mostly installed just to see if I could do it, and to learn a bit more about redhat. It is solid as a rock, but also as configurable as a rock :-) Getting msfonts, flash, codecs to work was pretty much a nightmare. But Centos will probably outlast my computer before it runs out of support.
SolusOS has very much impressed me.
Fuduntu is very nice. That guy made the Jupiter app, and it definitely makes laptops run cooler. Ubuntu 12.04/Mint13 is running faster and cooler with the new kernel. I found I no longer need the Jupiter app with this kernel, but 12.04/13 is a bit buggier than earlier releases for me.

Return to “LMDE Archive”