Wasted space

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintWithaHole

Wasted space

Post by MintWithaHole »

How do I reduce the amount of wasted space in Gnome 3? I am using a default install of Mint which I presume runs Gnome 3. Please redirect me if that assumption is incorrect.

Anyway, there seems to be a lot of wasted space between the icons and everything looks oversized including the to and bottom bars - almost like its meant for a child. I'm running inside Virtualbox with a resolution of 1024 x 768 but even with this relatively modest resolution these days it shouldn't look this chunky.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Wasted space

Post by proxima_centauri »

The default theme has a little bit more padding compared to other themes. Try another theme.
For theme I suggest Zukitwo or MediterraneanNight
For icons I suggest using Faenza with Faience
proxima_centauri

Also, if you're using Linux Mint 11, Linux MInt has shifted from using gnome3 and gnome-shell with mint extensions to developing their own own Desktop, Cinnamon. It's available in the Package Manager and you can select to use it at the login screen once installed.
MintWithaHole

Post by MintWithaHole »

proxima_centauri wrote:Also, if you're using Linux Mint 11, Linux MInt has shifted from using gnome3 and gnome-shell with mint extensions to developing their own own Desktop, Cinnamon. It's available in the Package Manager and you can select to use it at the login screen once installed.
I'm using Mint 12 (downloaded last week) which is described as having Gnome 3 and MATE. I'm not sure which one it uses by default, but having dug around I note the controversy over Gnome 3 and that the Mint desktop does not look anything like the Gnome 3 screenshots I've seen so its probably MATE. Might give Cinnamon a try. Thanks.

PS, it is the padding I'm referring to and this does look a bit Gnome3-like. However I only have two themes Adwaita and High Contrast. There doesn't seem to be an option for Themes in the Software manager so I'm not sure where to find more themes.
proxima_centauri

Oops, I mispoke. My earlier comment was about LInux Mint 12, not Linux Mint 11.

Yes, you are using gnome3 w/ gnome-shell and mint-extensions for gnome shell (mgse) for the default session of Linux Mint 12. Theme's can be changed under gnome-tweak-tool, which is known as Advanced Settings in the menu. You can select to install themes from there, or you can also manually move extracted theme folders to ~/.themes and ~/.icons accordingly.

In Linux Mint 13, two editions, MATE and Cinnamon will be available.
MintWithaHole

Post by MintWithaHole »

Ok, went into Software Manager and typed in Cinnamon into the search box. An icon for the installer came up. Clicked on it and the then on the Install button. Nothing much happened for the next 5 minutes - no indication of anything installing - then it came back saying 'Not installed'. So much for that.

"Cinnamon has rich visual effects enabled by new graphical technologies."

If its following the Gnome 3 route then I'm avoiding it anyway.
I just want something simple, productive and that works. No need for any fancy stuff.

How do I install MATE? Is it via the mate-pannel or mate-common package?
Last edited by MintWithaHole on Mon May 21, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
proxima_centauri

You can try MATE, is it selectable from the login screen as well. It is a port of previous GNOME2.
MintWithaHole

Post by MintWithaHole »

proxima_centauri wrote:You can try MATE, is it selectable from the login screen as well. It is a port of previous GNOME2.
Can't see it as a selectable item on the login screen. Only have Gnome, Gnome Classic and Gnome Classic (no effects). When I select Gnome Classic everything looks exactly the same as when I select Gnome. I also notice that right-click does exacly the same as left click whereas it used to allow you to add items to the desktop etc.
proxima_centauri

From the release notes
MATE is present on the DVD edition of Linux Mint 12. Users of the CD edition can install it via the mint-meta-mate package.
You may have to install it if you used the CD edition.
MintWithaHole

Post by MintWithaHole »

Have tried that but keep getting:

Err http://packages.linuxmint.com/ lisa/import libmatekeyring i386 1.0.0-3
401 Unauthorized

Getting the same when I do

apt-get update

Return to “Software & Applications”