Debian repositories falling behind with Linux kernels

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Brian49

Debian repositories falling behind with Linux kernels

Post by Brian49 »

Linux kernel 3.4 has just been released. Yet the Debian Unstable repository is still stuck on 3.2, which means it is now two versions behind the curve. I wonder what is going on here, please? Of course I know about the Liquorix kernels. Also, there are 3.3 'trunk' kernels in the Experimental repository, which seem to work well enough, although I haven't been able to find out in what way they differ from standard Debian ones.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eanfrid

Re: Debian repositories falling behind with Linux kernels

Post by eanfrid »

Debian Linux Wheezy (future stable release) and hence LMDE will use the 3.2 kernel series. As Debian will "freeze" next month, kernel 3.4 will not hit Debian repos before next year, if ever.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

You have to keep in mind Debian's focus is on Stable. The 3.2 is a lts kernel just like 2.6.32 was when Squeeze was released.

I am guessing a new kernel will make its way into experimental in a few days.

For now I have been using the 3.3.0-trunk kernel from exp without any problems.

$ apt-cache policy linux-image-3.3.0-trunk-486
linux-image-3.3.0-trunk-486:
Installed: 3.3.6-1~experimental.1
Candidate: 3.3.6-1~experimental.1
Version table:
*** 3.3.6-1~experimental.1 0
1 http://ftp-mirror.internap.com/pub/debian/ experimental/main i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

One thing to keep in mind is that the Linux developers have changed the way they number kernels. The 2.6.x series was current for years (literally), but we've gone from the 3.3.0 kernel to 3.4.0 in two months and two days. The jump from 3.2.0 to 3.3.0 took longer (four months and a few days), but it's still been very quick.

This doesn't reflect a huge jump in the rate of change of the actual kernels, vs., say, the six months between the final 2.6.x kernel (2.6.39) and 2.6.35, which was about six months before it. It just reflects the new numbering policies. IMHO, they took this change in policy a little too far; but I don't know the reasons for the change, so maybe such a big change really is justified.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

craigevil wrote: I have been using the 3.3.0-trunk kernel from exp without any problems.
So have I. But it would be good to know what a 'trunk' kernel is. Up-to-date information about this seems to be thin on the ground. I've formed a vague impression that it has fewer tweaks than mainstream kernels used by Debian, but that's about all.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

If you are running LMDE and tracking sid, you can install the 3.4 kernel from the siduction repos.

"trunk" if I remember from the last time , is a more 'vanilla' experimental kernel. it will be dropped as soon as 3.4 makes its way into experimental or sid.
Trunk is a term from version control systems such as <cvs>, <svn> and <git>. The "trunk" can often be thought of as a developer's playground, the stability (or otherwise) of the code varies from project to project. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunk_(software) .
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I've been using the Liquorix kernels been having good luck with them. I think they are at 3.3 right now.

http://liquorix.net/
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

craigevil wrote:you can install the 3.4 kernel from the siduction repos.
Found it - thanks very much. It's rc6, but that's good enough for now.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

wyrdoak wrote:I've been using the Liquorix kernels been having good luck with them. I think they are at 3.3 right now.

http://liquorix.net/
Haven't checked but the 3.4 is probably in damentz's future repo

## Liquorix Kernel by damentz http://www.liquorix.net/ .
# Secure Apt: apt-get install '^liquorix-([^-]+-)?keyring.?'
# Latest "stable" kernel
# deb http://liquorix.net/debian/ sid main
# RC/Beta kernels
# deb http://liquorix.net/debian/ sid main future
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

craigevil wrote:Haven't checked but the 3.4 is probably in damentz's future repo
Not at the moment, I'm afraid.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

I compiled the latest mainline 3.4 myself and created debs for the kernel and the headers in one fell swoop. It's really very easy and really only just a few commands. Do a Google search on how or I'll write up a little tutorial.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

optimus kernel

was going to ask/start a new thread But since this one started and active... :P

Has anyone tried/using the optimus kernel? Does it work on debian or only Ubuntu derivatives?

P.S. I think their at 3.3 something and use the BFS phatches among others. 8)

J.Jay
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

cmost wrote: It's really very easy and really only just a few commands.
A Google search for 'compile a Linux kernel' produces so many results that it's difficult to know where to start. Also, the advice given seems to vary from one guide to another. Are there one or two web pages you would like to recommend, please? Many thanks.
Last edited by Brian49 on Sat May 26, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

If you specify Linux kernel Debian (or Linux Debian kernel), you might still get a big list, but the first hit was this link..
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i ... 06.html.en
--and compiling a kernel can't be that difficult; it would be a matter of checking your kernel version uname -a or -r in a terminal, and choosing a higher version number of the same architecture (CPU), such as i386, i686 or all, and either the 32bit version or the 64bit version..

Debian specific help..
http://myrddin.org/howto/debian-kernel-recompiling/
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
--if you are not just installing a new kernel, you do have to run menuconfig to edit for any changes you want..
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Okay folks, here's what I did:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install git-core kernel-package fakeroot build-essential ncurses-dev
Then download latest kernel version from here: http://www.kernel.org/

Unpack the kernel tarball in say /home/username/Downloads/Kernels (for example, where 'username' = your user account name.)
Then go into the new directory (should look like this linux-3.4) and open a terminal window in that location. Or, open any old terminal window and type:

cd /home/username/Downloads/Kernels/linux-3.4
Since you don't want to start from absolute scratch configuring your shiny new kernel, start with the .config file from your current kernel, which presumably works since you're reading this. :D

sudo cp /boot/config-`uname -r` ./.config
Now, to configure your new kernel, type this:

sudo make menuconfig
Now for the really fun part! Customize your new kernel for your specific processor type for enhanced performance! Also probably a good idea to disable Zen if you don't use it!

Processor Type and Features -> Paravirtualized Guest Support -> Xen

Navigate around to enable other options that you may need. (Examples: file system support, network and wireless modules, media and tv modules, any and everything you need!) Press space bar once to enable support as a module . This is generally desired over built-in modules <*> in _most_ cases. If you forget something, you can always go back to this step later and recompile your kernel again.

When you are finished, keep hitting ESC to exit and say ‘Yes’ you want to save.

Time to compile!

sudo make-kpkg clean

sudo fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-vanillakernel-3.4 kernel_image kernel_headers
Note, you can append anything you like to the kernel version as long as it starts with a "-" and doesn't contain any Uppercase letters. Keep it simple!

Compiling the kernel will take some time. Go have a few cocktails. :D

When you're done, you'll notice two brand new deb files in the directory above 'linux-3.4'. One of these will be the kernel package, the other will be the kernel headers package. From within your still open terminal, type:

cd ..
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
The new packages will be installed automatically.

Reboot the computer and your new kernel should be the default in GRUB!

Rinse and repeat when new kernels are released!

Note: for Nvidia and ATI users, you'll need to manually compile the video driver against the new custom kernel as per-compiled blobs for your custom kernel won't be available in the repositories.
Enjoy!
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Thanks for the pointers. I'm going to hold off trying to compile a kernel for the time being, mainly because It seems to me that the available guidance doesn't say enough about the customisation choices to be made when working with the config menu. That menu doesn't look exactly user-friendly, and I'm fairly computer-literate. I could of course use the config from the kernel I already have installed, but then there is less of a point in compiling.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

jjaythomas wrote:Has anyone tried/using the optimus kernel?
I hadn't heard of this kernel before, but I've just installed the latest version and it seems to be working fine so far. Like the Liquorix kernel, it occupies noticeably more space on the hard drive than a standard kernel (134Mb as against 108Mb). I haven't yet been able to find out why that is, although I suspect it has something to do with multimedia modules and drivers.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

The optimus kernel from what I can tell looking at the webpage is made for Ubuntu, and it is only at 3.3.4.

The Debian kernel in experimental is at 3.3.6., which is only one version behind upstream.
kernel.org stable: 3.3.7

siduction and aptosid both have 3.4 in their repos.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

I would strongly caution against using Ubuntu kernels in Debian. Let me state this plainly in case anyone is confused: Debian is NOT Ubuntu. Ubuntu is no longer compatible with Debian! I would also caution against using Aptosid or Siduction kernels in LMDE because installing them will require that you enable the Debian Unstable (Sid) repositories for any required dependencies. This could bork your system or lead to problems down the road. If you're already tracking Debian Unstable, then go ahead. If you're using LMDE and tracking 'Latest' or 'Incoming' or Debian Testing this isn't a good idea.

As for configuring a new kernel, personally I never mess with the config file other than to specify my particular CPU family and type and to disable Xen. There's no need to go mucking it up if you don't know what you're doing. If you just want the latest kernel with your current configurations but optimized for your CPU then my guide is right for you.
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

The optimus kernel says its also debian and ubuntu
But web site sounds like for Ubuntu!
Then agin sites like soptpedia are saying for most Linux distro :roll:

Maybe I'll try on my Swift/LMDE Frankenstein box (its already mangled and just a matter of time before kablewy! :twisted: .

Then maybe install Xubuntu and try also for the fun of it :roll:

J.Jay

Return to “LMDE Archive”