Any chance of Mint for Android?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The Alpha Gamer

Any chance of Mint for Android?

Post by The Alpha Gamer »

I'm sure by now we've all heard of Ubuntu for Android, but is there any chance of Mint getting something like that? Specifically a way to plug our phone's up to our laptops/desktops and be able to use our Android apps on the Mint desktop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Any chance of Mint for Android?

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint on Android? I don't think so. See a recent interview with Clem here: http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/interviews/l ... f-success/ He talks a bit about the markets Canonical is targeting, and the direction they are heading towards, and how this isn't what Linux Mint is interested in.

I think the primary purpose is you can carry Ubuntu with you in your pocket (on your Android phone), and use it wherever you want on somebody else's computer (or your own) by just connecting it to a monitor, keyboard and mouse with the docking station. Personally, I find that an interesting development (I'm more interested in Ubuntu on Mobile though :P). But I don't need Linux Mint to be everything for me; I'd rather it excel as my desktop :wink:
The Alpha Gamer

Post by The Alpha Gamer »

All I want though is to use my Android apps in Mint
soccerz619

Post by soccerz619 »

xenopeek wrote: (I'm more interested in Ubuntu on Mobile though :P). But I don't need Linux Mint to be everything for me; I'd rather it excel as my desktop :wink:
Yes. I am so tired of Android. I want something like an Ubuntu for mobile (KDE branch has a tablet coming out, soon i think). Also, Mint does a great job on the desktop, so I to hope it continues to excel there.

But I would also like to see Android apps/games/whatever available on Linux. it would be neat to have that too. I thought I saw a link on that awhile ago, that Ubuntu was trying for that as well.This looks outdated, but I thought I had seen a more recent article stating that Ubuntu was trying to port Android apps over to the desktop...
TanKCR

Post by TanKCR »

soccerz619 wrote:
xenopeek wrote: (I'm more interested in Ubuntu on Mobile though :P). But I don't need Linux Mint to be everything for me; I'd rather it excel as my desktop :wink:
Yes. I am so tired of Android. I want something like an Ubuntu for mobile (KDE branch has a tablet coming out, soon i think). Also, Mint does a great job on the desktop, so I to hope it continues to excel there.

But I would also like to see Android apps/games/whatever available on Linux. it would be neat to have that too. I thought I saw a link on that awhile ago, that Ubuntu was trying for that as well.This looks outdated, but I thought I had seen a more recent article stating that Ubuntu was trying to port Android apps over to the desktop...
Hey all, I just finished building a tailored kernel to mobile devices, should work on most, but it specifically contains support for Tegra3 devices. It will be fairly simple to integrate into Ubuntu, but rootstock doesn't seem to work for mint. If someone can either link me to a mint root file system, or find a way to build one in mint I can get you a mobile image of mint!!!

G-Chat kristopher.roy@gmail.com
Y-Chat kristopherroy@ymail.com
kflee2000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kflee2000 »

Am I right to think that the wording "Any chance of Mint for Android?" would mean a mint version to run on the common ARM cpu based tablet? I would be interest to know such build of Mint existed.

On the other side of the coin, can we use Android under Mint environment? In Android website, it said:

"The Android build is routinely tested in house on recent versions of Ubuntu LTS (10.04), but most distributions should have the required build tools available. Reports of successes or failures on other distributions are welcome.

For Gingerbread (2.3.x) and newer versions, including the master branch, a 64-bit environment is required. Older versions can be compiled on 32-bit systems."

So my question is anyone has tried to build Android within Mint environment?
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

Android and Linux are essentially the same. Though Google was forking Android farther away, now many Android technologies are finding themselves folded into the new Linux kernels. I believe there are some ARM emulators that you can run in Mint. You might be able to run some of your apps, but I have never tried this. Try doing a Google using the keywords Android, Linux and emulator. But Mint is not philosophically intended to use a touchscreen UI. I don't think tablets will take over the world either. I think they'll mostly just steal market-share from laptops.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Linux Mint is an OS with a very desktop centric philosophy and somewhat conservative approach - if you want integration with Android you definitely have not come to the right place, Mint will be the last of the major distros to feature anything like it.
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

Android apps will probably never come to desktop Linux because of the fact that the only ARM emulators that exist are very slow.

The closest thing to getting Android apps in Linux is to install the x86 eeepc version of Android in Virtualbox, but that kinda defeats the purpose. Even then, that version doesn't offer a software store.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”