Where to configure keyboard shortcuts in Cinnamon?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
fschaap

Where to configure keyboard shortcuts in Cinnamon?

Post by fschaap »

Is it me or is there no config tool for setting keyboard shortcuts in the Cinnamon menu?

I'd like to change/set some key bindings, but I haven't gotten nowhere the past hour or so :-\ Running Cinnamon on Debian Edition.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Where to configure keyboard shortcuts in Cinnamon?

Post by AlbertP »

Most shortcuts are still configured in gnome's System Settings > Keyboard.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
fschaap

Post by fschaap »

So it is. I am so used to Linux Mint 9 where you can type "shortcut" in the Preferences window and get the appropriate settings dialog :-)

Still, I can't seem to get Mod4+E (left window key + e) to open Nautilus. I've added a shortcut called Nautilus, with the command "nautilus" and key binding Mod4+E... and nothing happens when I hit that key combination!

What am I doing wrong?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Are you sure manually typing Mod4 is the right way to configure a shortcut with left Windows key? I'd have the shortcut captured, the key may well turn out to be named Super_L instead of Mod4.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
fschaap

Post by fschaap »

Yep, I use the capture function.

When I used this on LM9 with the same keyboard, it also said I was using the Mod4+E key combo. So no surprise there.

The surprise is that the shortcut doesn't seem to work at all. Never had that problem with Linux Mint 9.
gychang

Post by gychang »

Same problem here in Mint12. Ctrl-Alt combo works but not window superkey combo.

gychang
ZeckeSZ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ZeckeSZ »

Open gconf-editor --> apps --> metacity --> global_keybindings --> run_command_1

Type <Super>x

Goto keybindings_commands --> command_1

Type <your_command>

Works here with Mint 12 / LMDE + Cinnamon

HTH
fschaap

Post by fschaap »

Okay, this is just plain crazy...

In Cinnamon, I use the Menu, go to Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Custom Shortcuts. I add a shortcut, give it a name and a command to run. Then I use the key capture function to grab the key combination. I hit the left Windows key and "e". This registers as "Mod4+E".

Next, when I use the left Windows key + E combination: nothing happens.

Now, when I use the right Windows key + E combination: tadaa, the command is run (and in my case Nautilus starts).

This is silly, right? I use the capture function to grab a key combination and it does the switcharoo on me! (And repeating myself... this works fine on LM9.)
fschaap

Post by fschaap »

ZeckeSZ wrote:Open gconf-editor --> apps --> metacity --> global_keybindings --> run_command_1
Well, that works. When I use the gconf-editor and I set a keybinding for <Mod4>E and the command to run Nautilus, it works with both the left and the right Windows key + E.

Actually, I first need to remove the shortcut that I added through the keyboard preference, because as long as that was there, the left Windows key would just not work.

Is this something that needs to be reported upstream? If so, where? Anyone knowledgeable enough to point me to the right issue queue?
gychang

Post by gychang »

fschaap wrote:Okay, this is just plain crazy...

In Cinnamon, I use the Menu, go to Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Custom Shortcuts. I add a shortcut, give it a name and a command to run. Then I use the key capture function to grab the key combination. I hit the left Windows key and "e". This registers as "Mod4+E".

Next, when I use the left Windows key + E combination: nothing happens.

Now, when I use the right Windows key + E combination: tadaa, the command is run (and in my case Nautilus starts).

This is silly, right? I use the capture function to grab a key combination and it does the switcharoo on me! (And repeating myself... this works fine on LM9.)
on my LM13 RC, when I click on Windows key + w to start my chromium, (on either L or R Windows key) it registers as Super+W. and when I try to use the key combo, tiny command window opens on the bottom. Using either R or L windows key, this happens withour starting the chromium.

this must be a bug...

gychang
gychang

Post by gychang »

ZeckeSZ wrote:Open gconf-editor --> apps --> metacity --> global_keybindings --> run_command_1

Type <Super>x

Goto keybindings_commands --> command_1

Type <your_command>

Works here with Mint 12 / LMDE + Cinnamon

HTH
on my LM12 debian Cinnamon machine (I have both versions installed). I did follow the instructions and seems to work, thanks.

gychang
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
anark10n
Level 1
Level 1

Post by anark10n »

I'm trying to change the keyboard+mouse combination of alt-right click as it conflicts with the blender combo of the same type. how do i change this in cinnamon, but this option does not appear in the shortcu settings.
smlgbll

Post by smlgbll »

The way mentioned above using gconf-editor works nicely, thanks for that.

The funny/odd thing is, that the shortcut I used for opening the terminal, using <Super>x worked directly from the shortcut-editor in the keyboard preferences, but using <Super>c to start chromium just brought up that search or command window on the lower right.

But, as I have my shortcut now, I won't be bothered. Still...what gives?
mjdtjm

Post by mjdtjm »

fschaap wrote:So it is. I am so used to Linux Mint 9 where you can type "shortcut" in the Preferences window and get the appropriate settings dialog :-)

Still, I can't seem to get Mod4+E (left window key + e) to open Nautilus. I've added a shortcut called Nautilus, with the command "nautilus" and key binding Mod4+E... and nothing happens when I hit that key combination!

What am I doing wrong?
I have the same problem, but I figured out that if I keep the (left window + e) keys pressed for a while and then release them simultaneously it works!
It's a bit strange, because the normal behavior is pressing window key at first and then pressing e, then release e and after it window key.
xircon

Post by xircon »

I wonder if the problem is that the super (win) key is tied to the Cinnamon menu (and Gnome 3 switch to overview mode) and it is interfering with the keybinding - just a thought.

Steve
cherep

Post by cherep »

The same problem on LM13 Maya Cinnamon 1.6.1. On Cinnamon 1.4 everything worked fine.

Who knows if it is a well-known bag?

Where can I post it and help to make LM13 and Cinnamon better?

Thanks!

Return to “LMDE Archive”