How to install nework printer / FirewallD??

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hannupuhakka

How to install nework printer / FirewallD??

Post by hannupuhakka »

I use linux mint.
System: Host hannu-ThinkPad-T60 Kernel 3.0.0-12-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop N/A Distro Linux Mint 12 Lisa
Tried to install network printer on my wired local network (HP Laserjet 2100). It works well on Windows XP by adress:
http://192.168.5.55/ipp/port1

I used grafical tool System Settings / Printers. Unlock / + / Add new printer / Network. Then I got error:
"FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall."
- nothing which I could understand...
I tried to put the right address on "Adress": http://192.168.5.55/ipp/port1 and click "Search by Address"
But nothing happends?
The printer is working and I can connect the printe by Internet browser.

What to do?
Hannu
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to install nework printer / FirewallD??

Post by altair4 »

I try to stay out of the Debian side of the forum but .....
"FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall."
You are using a broken utility so install the right one:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install system-config-printer
And run the command:

system-config-printer
That a curious URL since it's usually done this way:

http://192.168.5.55:631/printers/PrinterName
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
omansoft

Post by omansoft »

I also had the same problem and I solved it and wrote complete tutorial to help others, read turorial here: http://linuxibos.blogspot.com/2012/05/s ... linux.html
scottghall

Post by scottghall »

Note that for Linux Mint 13, when attempting to install "system-config-printer", you get an error about no such package, but suggestions to install "system-config-printer-gnome" and "system-config-printer-common". When you do attempt to install these, you get that they are already up-to-date to the latest versions. And yet, the problem persists. The blog mentioned no longer exists.

The workaround to this problem is to run the following command which is already installed and available from a terminal:

system-config-printer &
The solution is to replace the script pointed to by the "System Settings" --> "Printers" menu option to the 'system-config-printer.py' by the Mint team (or really the Ubuntu team at Canonical).
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jharris1993 »

scottghall wrote: The solution is to replace the script pointed to by the "System Settings" --> "Printers" menu option to the 'system-config-printer.py' by the Mint team (or really the Ubuntu team at Canonical).
(Emphasis provided by me)

I am currently using Mint 14 on a file server, and I am experiencing the same issue.

Question #1:
I agree, this is a great idea. Now how exactly do I go about doing this wonderful thing? If I open the "Systems Settings" dialog, and try to right-click the "Printers" icon to bring up it's property sheet, I get nothing. I presume that there is a script somwhere, but where? :?

Question #2:
I see that Mint is now up to release 16. Has this ever been addressed? If so, when? (i.e. at what release?) Is there a back-port planned so that the rest of us mere mortals can have the benefit of it? :roll: Or is it something we can download (i.e. via apt-get) and install?

Thanks!

Jim (J.R.)

=============================

Update:
scottghall wrote: The workaround to this problem is to run the following command which is already installed and available from a terminal:

system-config-printer &
Did that, and it worked wonderfully. I now have two working printers on my server - something sorely needed! - a Canon MX350 color inkjet, and my tried-and-true HP4. Though I DO wonder what genius thought that "six-up" should be the default page setting on the Canon ink-jet. :shock: I fixed that, and everything seems to be fine. (There really needs to be a smiley for "head-in-hand, shanking head in wonder" for some of this stuff.)

Caveat: The other side of that is that someone, somewhere, took the time to actually WRITE the driver for the MX350, so I suppose that I should not be TOO PICKY! :D

Thanks for all the help! Hopefully we'll find out how to "fix" this thing CORRECTLY so that the control panel features work as they should.

Jim (J.R.)
Jim "JR"

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb

Return to “Printers & Scanners”