Linux Mint 13 "Maya" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
lucifer76

Re: Linux Mint 13 "Maya" RC released!

Post by lucifer76 »

I use Mint 13 Mate 32bits. Works great, look great on my netbook.
I found only one problem. Ctrl Alt T not open Terminal. Why? Terminal is now mate-terminal. After I edited the shortcut, is resolved.
koshari

Post by koshari »

i tried the mint 13 mate 64 live edition the other day, i noticed that the bluetooth applets from the system menu dont pop up, additionally there are applets that dont allow you to resize them even when the resize cursor is selected?

i take it these issues will be addressed in the final?
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

ChrisOfBristol wrote: I think this is because your old configuration files are kept when you upgrade and it's still using them.
Both cases were clean installs.

DrTeeth
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

they are approved for stable release with these comments from Clem:
We're missing md5 integration, mint4win only works in 64-bit ISOs, bluetooth is problematic and compiz doesn't work out of the box, but overall the quality is really good, I'm really happy with it.

We'll be working on OEM ISOs separately, it looks like we need to add support for it in MDM. For now, let's enjoy this release. Thanks to everyone involved ;)
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

Update to my earlier post:
It's all good! Apart from..
I was using Google Chrome and nothing else and it suddenly seized up.
ctrl-alt-F8
I don't know why I have to press ctrl-alt-F8 to get the desktop instead of ctrl-alt-F7. When installing, I got a message something like "can't use screen 0, use 1?" to which I replied "yes", so perhaps everything is shifted along one. Though why I got the message in the first place I don't know.

Seizing up
It has seized up again, I was pasting a web address into a LibreOffice document table. I had Chrome and LibreOffice Writer open.
I have tried it again and again: boot up, open Chrome and Writer, cut web address from Chrome address bar, post it into Writer table. It happens every time, everything locks up except the mouse cursor and ctrl-alt-F*. I can do ctrl-alt-backspace to log in again.
Last edited by ChrisOfBristol on Tue May 22, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windowsfree2012

Post by Windowsfree2012 »

Does the kernel support the wifi - rtl8191se? This was an issue for me with linux mint 12 and had to use a dongle for wireless connectivity.
I do not want to use that if possible.

Thank you.
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

Another problem, this time running a Java circuit design program which used to work. The File menu doesn't work, you can't let go of the mouse button or it goes again so you also can't select any of the options. This may be related to the fact that the mouse pointer does not align correctly. By this I mean that if I click on a component to select it, that works, but when I attempt to move the component, it jumps and is no longer attached to the pointer. I can move it but it is separate. I think this only happens if I have resized the window.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Windowsfree2012 wrote:Does the kernel support the wifi - rtl8191se? This was an issue for me with linux mint 12 and had to use a dongle for wireless connectivity.

Thank you.
RTL8191SU broke on Linux 3.2 but RTL8191SE is probably working. You could try booting a Mint 13 DVD to test if wifi works.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Yes, with Mint 12's launch the ISO files were recalled and subsequently removed from Heanet & mirrors before the announcement appeared.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
gary428509

Post by gary428509 »

Does anybody know if LXDE will be available in the software center of LM13?
ChrisOfBristol

Post by ChrisOfBristol »

Another one - I hope it's helpful posting these problems.
The menu shows a shortcut called "Places" at the bottom of the left-hand column and if I hover over it the right-hand column shows a list of home folders and bookmarks. None of those links work.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

gary428509 wrote:Does anybody know if LXDE will be available in the software center of LM13?
Yes, you will be able to install LXDE, or one of the other desktop environments, easily from the software manager.
Windowsfree2012

Post by Windowsfree2012 »

I know it did not work in LM12, so I am downloading the ISO now and will try it.
AlbertP wrote:
Windowsfree2012 wrote:Does the kernel support the wifi - rtl8191se? This was an issue for me with linux mint 12 and had to use a dongle for wireless connectivity.

Thank you.
RTL8191SU broke on Linux 3.2 but RTL8191SE is probably working. You could try booting a Mint 13 DVD to test if wifi works.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Has anyone seen a problem with the login screen appearing for a second and then going to a blank screen during a normal boot/reboot? I'm getting this on a random but frequent basis. I end up having to Ctrl+Alt+F1 to a prompt, login and then running...

Code: Select all

sudo service mdm restart
...in order to get back to the login screen. In short, MDM keeps crashing on me during a boot or reboot and I have to restart it. I haven't found anything in the logs yet but I'm still looking. Here's my system specs:

Intel Core2 Quad, 8.0 GB DDR2, 1.0 TB HDD, Nvidia GT 430 w/1.0 GB DDR3 (running Nvida 295 driver)

Never had a problem with LightDM or GDM in the past. Not sure if this is a kernel problem or just a matter of timing.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
gary428509

Post by gary428509 »

Thank you Vincent.
Rudemeister

Linux Mint 12 is So Good That......

Post by Rudemeister »

Linux Mint 12 Katya has been so good I have been wondering what a possible follow up to it in 13 might be. I installed 12 as soon as it came out. It worked so good that I installed it on all my computers here and at the office. So I installed Maya 32 bit (I only run 64 bit when I have to) on a disk I had floating around here. What can I say? The Cinnamon version is beautiful. Of course it's not a final release, so an in depth comparisson might not be fair. It wouldn't install on an external USB drive I had though. I believe it to be potentially a slight improvemnt on appearance, a bug fix, and some new technical details added. I think that makes it GREAT, but 12 was hard to improve on much.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 13 "Maya" final is out: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2031
bombai

Post by bombai »

Can someone tell me if any version will include gnome 3 or if cinamon/mate edition is yet including?

Thanks.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Cinnamon is based on Gnome 3. So if you want to run Gnome Shell, go with Cinnamon and install additionally the "gnome-shell" and "gnome-session" packages.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

kmb42vt wrote:Has anyone seen a problem with the login screen appearing for a second and then going to a blank screen during a normal boot/reboot? I'm getting this on a random but frequent basis. I end up having to Ctrl+Alt+F1 to a prompt, login and then running...

Code: Select all

sudo service mdm restart
...in order to get back to the login screen. In short, MDM keeps crashing on me during a boot or reboot and I have to restart it. I haven't found anything in the logs yet but I'm still looking. Here's my system specs:

Intel Core2 Quad, 8.0 GB DDR2, 1.0 TB HDD, Nvidia GT 430 w/1.0 GB DDR3 (running Nvida 295 driver)

Never had a problem with LightDM or GDM in the past. Not sure if this is a kernel problem or just a matter of timing.
After further research it appears to be a problem with the current Nvidia driver (295.40) which apparently has more bugs than usual which have been causing power and performance regressions for many users and this is the driver version that the "Additional Drivers" app installs by default (the "Recommended" driver).

Without getting into too much detail, the solution that worked for me is to install the "(post-release updates) (version current-updates)" driver instead (295.49). So far, this has solved the problem with MDM disappearing on boot/reboot and dropped my overall memory usage by approximately 50 MB.

Update: After a couple of reboots, the problem with MDM and the available Nvidia drivers has returned and it appears I'm not the only one with MDM having a conflict with these drivers. I still don't know whether this is a problem with MDM, the kernel or the Nvidia drivers.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Thu May 24, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”