The Linux Mint Newsletter - Issue 1

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

The first issue of the Linux Mint Newsletter is out:

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... er_Issue_1

Happy reading,
Clem.
Last edited by clem on Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
glas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glas »

Good newsletter, no waffling, just to the point information.

Regarding Desktop Managers, I've first learnt Linux on KDE and it has always been my preferred Desktop Manager ... but Mint has taught me a new appreciation of Gnome!

For older machines Xfce makes sense simply because it's faster and more efficient.

Regarding selling computers with Linux pre-installed, we've been doing that for some time at our computer repair shop (Maesteg, Wales) on refurbished systems. Usually we install Vector Linux on the older machines because you can't beat it for speed and stability. But for boxes with a 800+ Mhz processor / 256+ RAM, I'm going to start installing Mint - because it is a very user-friendly and versatile operating system.
glas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glas »

Is it just my browser or is everybody seeing the General Announcements dated 1 week in the future?
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

I think you may be looking at the end date
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

Great newsletter, Clem :)
Great the bug list and good decision to take the time between LMint 2.2 and LMint 3.0
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Yes Phil,
It couldn't be done better.

Note: Look at the COMMUNITY post.
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

To Uncle Bob,

This may not be the right part of the forum to discuss this; but no one took up your question so I'll give you a layman's answer.

One of the strengths of Linux is that you get to choose the desktop interface you want to get the computer to do what you want it to do. Imagine Windows with say, XP and XX and XW as options according to the way you like your menus set out, or the kinds of free utilities you want to use, and even the logic and "culture" you prefer. That is kind of like the difference between KDE, GNOME and XFCE. Each of these in general terms do the same as the other, but some might be logically set out in a way you find more appealing than the other. They all run Firefox and Open Office etc. it just the feel and style is different between them (amongst other things).

Be warned however: saying one is better than the other can lead the immature to silly flame wars (e.g. mine is bigger than yours; Toyota is better than Nissan etc).

Try them all and pick the one you like the most and use it.

Best regards
John
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Uncle Bob wrote:Very good and makes for an interesting read.

However, seeing as I'm new to Linux and slowly in the process of converting from Windows, I can still ask (stupid) questions. What is the story between Gnome and KDE and then also XFCE? How do they compare with one another, or what is the differences between them? Is it really a (big) issue?
Hello Uncle Bob,
I used to be a KDE fan until Linux Mint made Gnome so attractive that I don't
miss it.
I did have KDE installed in BEA, but only to get some of the extra packages that it offers.
The good thing about the whole thing is that you can install KDE and XFCE on Linux Mint from Synaptic.

Regards, npap
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I'm a KDE fan myself :)
If I chose Gnome for Linux Mint it's simply because I believed I could achieve a better desktop with it than with KDE.

I'm still looking forward to making a KDE release of Bianca though once the stable version is out :)

Clem
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Alright fellows,
KDE is OK but it depends on your 'gnome', pronounced gnomee in Greek, which means 'an opinion'

Return to “Releases & Announcements”