Mint 13 (Maya) RC out

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
esteban1uy

Re: Mint 13 (Maya) RC out

Post by esteban1uy »

Ok, let's complete the tests on real hardware (same conditions as my last post).
This is Maya Mate running some video and doing some 3D rendering:

And this is Maya Cinnamon doing the same:

From my point of view, there's no significant difference.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Awesome :D Both hardly come above 10% CPU usage it looks like.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

xenopeek wrote:Awesome :D Both hardly come above 10% CPU usage it looks like.
I think there are too many myths circulating about the efficiency and simplicity of MATE and how demanding and tricky is Cinnamon when in fact the limiting factor, with respect to performance, is hardware. The machine used for the tests is not a NASA mainframe, just a very common midrange laptop with integrated graphics, and the performance of Maya/MATE and Maya/Cinnamon are in both cases equal or superior than, for example, Windows.
minties

Post by minties »

xenopeek wrote:esteban1uy, thanks for comparing on real hardware :mrgreen:
+1

Good job esteban1uy. :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Clem just approved them for stable with the following comments
We're missing md5 integration, mint4win only works in 64-bit ISOs, bluetooth is problematic and compiz doesn't work out of the box, but overall the quality is really good, I'm really happy with it.

We'll be working on OEM ISOs separately, it looks like we need to add support for it in MDM. For now, let's enjoy this release. Thanks to everyone involved ;)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

xenopeek wrote:Awesome :D Both hardly come above 10% CPU usage it looks like.
Yes, normally it isn't that bad. But when opening Expo or something like that it uses more CPU usage. However Compiz's Expo may probably use some CPU as well (I didn't test it).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

zerozero wrote:Clem just approved them for stable with the following comments
We're missing md5 integration, mint4win only works in 64-bit ISOs, bluetooth is problematic and compiz doesn't work out of the box, but overall the quality is really good, I'm really happy with it.

We'll be working on OEM ISOs separately, it looks like we need to add support for it in MDM. For now, let's enjoy this release. Thanks to everyone involved ;)
Ok, MD5 integration and bluetooth I get. Maybe even Compiz. But why does mint4win only work in 64bit??? I'm just wondering.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

I see it's approved stable now
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I didn't think it would be in RC for long. At least the MATE edition I tried out felt quite solid from the start.
bugmenotprettyplz

Post by bugmenotprettyplz »

If I could direct your attention over here, gents...

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/13/
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

bugmenotprettyplz wrote:If I could direct your attention over here, gents...

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/13/
Yep, and it's in the other mirrors I've checked. Also, the user guide has been uploaded, but only for the MATE edition (maybe the one for the cinnamon edition will take more time to write?).
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Did 2 installs of MATE Mint 13 today, one on my wife's computer, the other on an external hard drive, both went flawlessly. And now my wife will be happy that I can leave her computer alone for 5 years :-) Only problem, despite the fact I went with MATE, I've had that Neil Young song "Cinnamon Girl" running through my head all day :lol:
kbd47
Myrmidon83

Post by Myrmidon83 »

Downloading the stable's now.

Also going with MATE for the household laptops but will use Cinnamon on my work one.

:)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Cinnamon wouldn't run on an old Thinkpad T41 laptop (one with Radeon 7500 graphics card...). Mesa crashed with an error in radeon_blit.c and made Cinnamon crash as well. Mate works fine on it. When it's got a bigger harddisk I can install Linux on it. Anyway, a live DVD of Mint 13 RC works very well. Using a USB DVD drive as the internal one doesn't read DVD's anymore. Pretty much the opposite of another old laptop on which I installed Linux some time ago. It had no problem with DVD's but refused to play audio CD's.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Myrmidon83 wrote:Downloading the stable's now.

Also going with MATE for the household laptops but will use Cinnamon on my work one.

:)
Until the announcement is done that the final release is available, there might still be showstoppers that will require changes to the .iso files. As AlbertP shared elsewhere, with Linux Mint 12's launch the .iso files were recalled and subsequently removed from heanet & mirrors before the announcement appeared. It may all be fine, but I'd suggest to wait for the announcement (so you also know about known issues).
Rua
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rua »

I've already downloaded it but I'm waiting for the final announcement before installing. That will save me some time downloading if it ends up being the final version.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

AlbertP wrote:Cinnamon wouldn't run on an old Thinkpad T41 laptop (one with Radeon 7500 graphics card...).
Hmm, this one falls in both categories that Gnome 3 usually dislikes - that is, "ATI video cards" and "old video cards"...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@Monsta: The ATI dislike is about proprietary driver, not open-source. Yes, the "old" category is where this card belongs. But in fact it's Mesa ("radeon_blit.c") crashing.

On the other hand, a laptop from the same year 2005, but with slightly newer components, works very well with Cinnamon - it has Intel 915GM (GMA 900) graphics.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

It's official!
Linux Mint 13 "Maya" final is out: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2031
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

esteban1uy wrote:It's official!
Linux Mint 13 "Maya" final is out: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2031
Got it..Ran it live. I do believe this is it.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”