[Solved] Mint 13 Cinnamon using wrong sound output device

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rua
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Mint 13 Cinnamon using wrong sound output device

Post by Rua »

My graphics card has its own HDMI output device for sound and for some reason Mint insists on using that. When I go to the Pulseaudio volume control I see that it is set as fallback device. I can set my regular 'built in audio' as fallback and then the sound works fine. But when I restart, it just defaults back to the HDMI sound again. Strangely the startup chime does sound, but no programs after that get sound until I fix it. Does anyone know how I can change this so it always uses my built in sound by default?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rua
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 13 Cinnamon using wrong sound output device

Post by Rua »

Can anyone help me with this? It's getting rather frustrating for me...
stratus_ss

Post by stratus_ss »

Can you post some screens of your "Sound" application so that we can see what settings work and what the defaults are.

Additionally we can force it, but that should be a last resort.
There is a file you can create /etc/asound.conf which will always be respected by the system. I use this for systems where I want SPDIF to be the output source
Rua
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rua »

I'm not sure what sound application you mean. There is both the pulseaudio volume control and the sound settings that appears when I click on the speaker icon in the taskbar. I did notice that when I click on the speaker and then 'output device' it shows two options:

- Built-in audio analog stereo
- Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 series] Digital Stereo (HDMI)

After the computer starts up, the second one is marked off and selected, so it uses that as the output device. If I click on the first option to select that, all the sound is fine, but it doesn't remember what I selected after restarting, it just goes back to the HDMI audio again.
bkovacs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bkovacs »

Same here!. I need to make "Built in Analog Stereo" as my default. But everytime I reboot it goes back to GF104 sound device. Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't have this problem. Is there an application that allows me to set default card with pulse audio, that just works. Or is this a kernel issue.
After I open sound settings in taskbar.
Output Devices
Built in Analog Stereo
*GF104 High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stero (HDMI)

Reboot and get everytime. Just this sound device, before opening sound devices. Even after using paucontrol.
*GF104 High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stero (HDMI)

Any ideas on how to fix this Clem?.
stratus_ss

Post by stratus_ss »

so for example if you create /etc/asound.conf with the following:

Code: Select all

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "spdif"
format S16_LE
}
}
It will default to the spdif, if you substitute "hdmi" it will default to hdmi, though I have never used this method for analoge, I assume it would work, though I am not 100% off the top of my head what you would put in as the pcm
augusto_mint

Post by augusto_mint »

I had the same problem and I solved it by disabling the HDMI device in the Hardware tab. Since I didn't need to use the HDMI that was ok. Not sure it's your case...

bkovacs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bkovacs »

augusto_mint wrote:I had the same problem and I solved it by disabling the HDMI device in the Hardware tab. Since I didn't need to use the HDMI that was ok. Not sure it's your case...

That did it augusto. Thanks!. Correct device works on reboot now!.
Rua
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rua »

It works for me now too, thank you!
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

I was just browsing the forums and accidentally came across this thread.

I have been having a similar problem in that my sound settings like to switch from my built-in sound on the motherboard to GF106 controller of my graphics card at random times. For example, I could be watching/listening to something, whether it be a video off my HDD or a youtube video, or even just a simple mp3 file, part way through the sound vanishes. A quick look at my output devices shows that it's switch to the GF106.

Hopefully, with the help of this thread, the problem will be solved.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

For what's it worth this happened to me regularly in Mint 12 and still does in Mint 13, though much less often - gotten so used to selecting the proper output device in sound settings when the OS for some reason decided to mix things up a little. Always wonder how many users are stranded with no sound and no idea what goes wrong and how to fix it when this happens to them, it can't be pretty numbers.

EDIT: gonna try augusto's off solution :D
rzpkvs

Re: [Solved] Mint 13 Cinnamon using wrong sound output devic

Post by rzpkvs »

@ augusto_mint

i had the same prob thanks for sharing. i'm good to go
Berkah

Post by Berkah »

Thanks - workes for me, too! (LM 13 Mate & NVidia G520M)
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

It's been a while since I last posted in this thread. I tried the above solution, and I haven't had a single problem yet. So the problem is solved for me.
chuck_taylor

Post by chuck_taylor »

Thanks much. Works here as well LM 13 cinnamon + nvidia gtx 560
baltorouberol

Post by baltorouberol »

Thanks, did the trick for me too!

LM 12 MATE + nVidia GT218 [NVS 3100M]
clickclick

Post by clickclick »

I am curious, did anybody try using the HDMI from the card for audio? Because I basically have the inverse problem. I want to use the HDMI from the card (GTX 570), but when it is selected for output in settings, I get nothing. Anyone have any ideas?
Total_Blue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Total_Blue »

clickclick wrote:I am curious, did anybody try using the HDMI from the card for audio? Because I basically have the inverse problem. I want to use the HDMI from the card (GTX 570), but when it is selected for output in settings, I get nothing. Anyone have any ideas?
HI Clickclick, if the original Poster has marked the thread as Solved, it would be better to start a new thread to have more of a chance of getting help.

That being said, if you have an AMD (ATI) Radeon with HDMI, I had a similar issue with my Laptop and got the HDMI sound working by following the advice at http://askubuntu.com/questions/67113/fa ... h-no-sound.

Return to “Hardware Support”