Poll: Desktop environments

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.

Which desktop environments do you use?

Cinnamon
30%
Fluxbox, OpenBox, Blackbox, *box
3%
Gnome Fallback
3%
Gnome Shell
9%
KDE
11%
LXDE
6%
MATE
19%
Other non-listed DE (Enlightenment, Trinity, RazorQT, ROX) or not using or planning to use any of the DEs listed in this poll.
2%
Unity
4%
Xfce
13%

Total votes: 4983

heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Poll: Desktop environments

Post by heavy metal »

R.I.P. LM LXDE! :( :x
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
FiReSTaRT

Post by FiReSTaRT »

heavy metal wrote:R.I.P. LM LXDE! :( :x
What happened? I actually like LXDE. I'd have no issues with using it on a low hardware spec machine and I use it for work now. I could tweak it to be a pretty decent personal desktop environment without too much work. I'd take it as a low resource usage alternative and just cut XFCE (which I like, I just think LXDE is a better solution - less resource-hungry).

If I could change my vote in the poll, I'd take out GNOME Shell, include Cinnamon and LXDE. Might even take out XFCE. Found Cinnamon to be generally less buggy, less resource-hungry (at least with my setup) and better looking now that I found the right GTK themes (my recommendations are Dark Cold for those who like blue and Dark Mint for those of us into green ;)

Cinnamon wish-list:
1) Natively allow moving the top panel down
2) Allow us to set window margins in case the windows don't snap to panels
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

Scott65 wrote:One of the appeals for me is that Mint with Gnome 3, (which is dispised by so many I see now), is NOT a Windows wannabe; where it seems like both MATE and cinnamon are trying to go back to Gnome 2, or become Windows clones. When I first tried Linux a decade ago, I used KDE, but I prefer the new Gnome now, for the reason I stated. If Mint is going to be an alternative to Windows 8, then IMHO Mint's desktop should be a true alternative, not just a "Windows wannabe."
You make a nice point here about how different Gnome-shell is from Window$ (one of the reasons it was my first favorite desktop after making the switch to Linux), but I honestly think that the panel or "taskbar" as it is called in Window$, is one of the most helpful tools of productivity ever thought of for the computer - it really speeds up task switching, and from a glance at the panel, you can see exactly what applications you have running on that workspace. So you should really try Cinnamon if you like Gnome-shell, it's got a lot of the features you're talking about, plus, a panel for task switching (I really find the zoom out overview of Gnome to be quite distracting, and if there's a lot of similar looking windows open, it's hard to tell what's what).
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
AMD Ryzen 3-3100, AMD Radeon RX 570, 16 GB RAM, Mint 21 (Vanessa), MATE
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

I've used LXDE, but not fond anymore of using it on mint 12 main edition. dedicated lxde edition is excellent, or using it installed on text-mode ubuntu.

I'll be using MATE, I've switched to my ubuntu 11.04 partition and find gnome 2 to be excellent after cleaning up the bars again. and fast and full-featured.
mint 13 rc's MATE is awesome, doesn't seem buggy, applets are back (fish, xeyes, weather etc.)
especially awesome is how you can choose between three menus : mint, gnome 2 and xfce-like, and put them anywhere!
so I have no complaint against mint's menu anymore.
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

Why eliminate LXDE Mint versions? Why not maybe, if linuxmint developers can't keep pace with other Desktop Enviroments and want to focus on one or two DE I propose this, make one XCFE version on LTS like it is likely to happen, and the next ubuntu release make an LXDE version of linuxmint, then the next release make an XFCE and the next release an LXDE and so on... get the point, or have to be more clear???
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Actually, the developers are focussing on 4 DEs; Cinnamon, MATE, KDE and Xfce. All four to be released as an edition of Linux Mint 13, and except for KDE all already released as an edition of LMDE (I'm not sure about plans for KDE on LMDE).

Just to share an alternative, Clem has just added a tutorial on how to respin your own Linux Mint edition (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918). So anybody with a bit of know-how could make an LXDE respin of Linux Mint. So even if the Linux Mint developers do not have the time to make an LXDE edition of Linux Mint, a committed user could make a LXDE respin happen :wink:
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

excellent!, this is now support for the community that can lead to unofficial release, as lubuntu was. this can lead to a lxde 64bit variant.

I'm sure a linux mint ubuntu xfce will be good but I quite love lxde, only lxde is in a perpetual state of "could fix and add a few things to become lxde 1.0".

if I have some time I'll want to play with it if only for creating a "linux mint nihil" ISO, with no desktop.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Used to use Gnome 2. Trying LXDE at the mo, not struck on Mate or Cinnamon.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

xenopeek wrote: Just to share an alternative, Clem has just added a tutorial on how to respin your own Linux Mint edition (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918). So anybody with a bit of know-how could make an LXDE respin of Linux Mint. So even if the Linux Mint developers do not have the time to make an LXDE edition of Linux Mint, a committed user could make a LXDE respin happen :wink:
thanks for the heads-up Vincent :) sounds like a nice summer project.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

When Mint 12 LXDE came out I did a full install, but with just a small amount of tweaking I broke the desktop. To save that install I went ahead and installed the LXDE desktop from synaptic package manager. I added the xfce4-power-manager, indicator-weather, and psensor for temp, I added those along with a volume icon to the startup session to get them in the panel at startup, and I think I might have added xfce4-notifyd for notifications, and had a great running system. It just takes a few minutes to add the LXDE desktop, and to tweak it a bit. All apologies to the Mint devs, but you can make, in my opinion, more usable LXDE desktop yourself by just adding LXDE to Mint 13 and tweaking it.
kbd47
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Thats the joy of Linux. If you want to change things up to make it your own it can be done and you can even get help from other Linux folks while you are doing it. You don't have to whine about it till somebody does it for you or till some marketing type decides its time to sell a mod to you. Oh joy.
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

LXDE edition is useful to make a slim installation. space may be at a premium if you install on a very old hard drive or on limited flash. for exemple an eee pc without hard drive has a 4GB flash + 8GB flash, I installed mint 12 lxde with / on the 4GB (ext2) and /home on the 8GB, the user is in love with it.

or you save on memory use and disk access. I had trouble on my PC with mint 12 + added lxde. gnome 3 components still running I believe, gnome-terminal as the terminal emulator (it adds features but is heavier), most annoyingly fonts too small and gtk theme imperfect.
to be fair I was slowed down a lot by chromium and its very high memory usage. it was a quirky lxde, slow and I had an ugly wallpaper. but trying the same from a mint 13 MATE may work better, probably.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

xenopeek wrote:Just to share an alternative, Clem has just added a tutorial on how to respin your own Linux Mint edition (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918). So anybody with a bit of know-how could make an LXDE respin of Linux Mint. So even if the Linux Mint developers do not have the time to make an LXDE edition of Linux Mint, a committed user could make a LXDE respin happen :wink:
It is soooo tempting to put together a release with LMDE + KDE but Tux knows there's no way in Blue Heaven I have the time it would take to put that together. Which is a bloody shame because I bet a release of LMDE + KDE + Bespin (my current configuration) would be a killer release.

(if this ends up being a dup please forgive me. I'd love to know what the frak it's taking me so many tries (6+?) to submit this damned post. I jeep getting time out errors and when I refresh my post is gone. Thank Tux for being able to copy it before I hit the damned button.)
allypink

Post by allypink »

Liking what I see with cinnamon. Got up and running on my old Dell inspiron 1300 laptop. Runs quiet nicely (once I had fixed the hibernation issue) http://askubuntu.com/questions/111669/h ... wer-button
Was running Mint 12 with cinnamon now have 13 up and running and may have found the replacement for Mint 10 on my desktop.
:)
Carl H

Post by Carl H »

I've tried out MATE and although I like the look of it, what I find very irritating is that a load of the apps have been renamed, e.g. GEdit is now Pluma, and 'sudo gedit' seems to be a hard habit to break. :o

I've also tried Unity from the Live CD that came with this month's Linux Format mag and it seems alright, though there's going to be a bit of a learning curve. It seems to be trying to look like MacOS, but it doesn't behave like it.

From what I've read so far, Cinnamon doesn't play well with the ATI graphics card in the new PC I've just bought so I'm not going to even try it.

I suspect that XFCE will be my preferred desktop before much longer.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ Carl H: Cinnamon used to have problems with the ATI/AMD proprietary driver but most issues are fixed in recent Catalyst 12.x versions. Mint 13 has a newer fglrx driver in Additional Drivers which works fine for most people (Mint 12 had an old one which failed), and if that does not work installing the latest driver from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... linux.aspx is pretty easy. That way it's usually fixed. Also you can run on open-source radeon driver (i.e. not installing catalyst/fglrx) and it'll also be fine if your card works well with that.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Silver Clown

Post by Silver Clown »

I'm using MATE atm and I quite like it so far. Saying that KDE has been my preferred DE for quite some time now and I'm undecided weather or not I'll replace KDE with MATE full time or not.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

The great thing is that Mint 13 will also come with KDE soon, so you will at least have the choice. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

SpaceExplo wrote:Even you do great work on Cinnamon I am strong fan of MATE and intend to use in a future as my main (and most probably only) desktop environment for both my personal and work computers.
I feel the exact same - Cinnamon is nice, but MATE is where plan to stay for long time to come (probably as my only DE as well :wink: ) Since I just replaced installed Mint 12 on both my machines within the last couple of months, I'm going to keep the installations for a while, but I have already downloaded both 32- and 64-bit Maya iso's, MATE edition of course :) .
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
AMD Ryzen 3-3100, AMD Radeon RX 570, 16 GB RAM, Mint 21 (Vanessa), MATE
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

I'm actually using Gnome fallback,but actually that's only because Cinnamon has proved to be too buggy for at the moment on my computer and Mate is showing some glitches too:in reality I would happily use both of them instead of Gnome fallback (well that's ironic,trying to escape from the nonsense of Gnome 3 one ends up using a dumbed down version of the beautiful Gnome 2),with maybe a slight edge for Cinnamon because it looks more modern and compact,if only it could use Compiz 3D effects it would be a really nice desktop IMHO.I'm confident Cinnamon issues will be straightened up along the way and it will (hopefully) become more and more customizable,at that point I think it will probably be the best alternative.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”