How can I mount a floppy? solved

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jag1182

How can I mount a floppy? solved

Post by jag1182 »

If this exact question has been asked, I apologize, but search in each forum I thought might be appropriate didn't reveal it. I thought I saw something on it several days ago, but I sure can't find it.

How do you mount a floppy drive?

Is there a way to do that automatically at start-up? My wife will never buy into this conversion if not.

thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: How can I mount a floppy?

Post by Husse »

Use a screwdriver :P
Talk your wife out of floppys - they are very unreliable and painstakingly slow
You should have this line in fstab

Code: Select all

/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec 0       0
Then it's just to insert, and before removal unmount/eject like with a CD
jag1182

Post by jag1182 »

Thank you very much.

I told her they're always hard to mount if they're floppy. Seriously, a main reason for needing floppies is that she uses several computerized sewing machines, and at least one of them requires floppies for data input (for certain types of stitches or for embroidery patterns, and so forth.)

I tried the command you gave me above. It told me /dev/fd0 command not found. So I tried it with sudo /dev/floppy, still /dev/fd0 command not found.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sometimes the brain is somewhere else when you write - have you experienced that as well :)?

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /dev/fd0 
You need to have a directory for it. This is taken care of automatically during install in the normal case
jag1182

Post by jag1182 »

Yes, I am beginning to think my brain is always doing that now. Thanks, Husse. I think that worked. But now, I tried to save a file to the floppy - from OpenOffice.orgWriter - and the message I got is error, "/dev/fd0 file wifipy298a.odt does not exist" The file I'm trying to save is already saved to HD, it is the result of running Wifi.py. I'd like to get it to floppy so I can bring it to this machine and send it to you, to see if you can give me a hint as to what I need to do now to get my wifi running. But for now, I can't save anything to floppy yet.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This rings a bell (but no whistles :))
I think it has to do with permissions - check the file permissions of the floppy - you should be the owner or "Unknown" but not Root
jag1182

Post by jag1182 »

Thank you very much. I tried that, but couldn't change the permissions.
So then I made it sudo su and it worked. Again, thank you.

Return to “Beginner Questions”