Linux Mint Wiki

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arrow2Knee

Linux Mint Wiki

Post by Arrow2Knee »

There are quite a few guides and info for Linux Mint available. But it's all spread out on this forum. Isn't it good, should we have 1 centralized place, a Wiki for example, with all Mint's knowledge.

This would include: Installation guides, program using files ...

Every tutorial or document that teaches the user a bit more about this OS would go there.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wolverine_tech

Re: Linux Mint Wiki

Post by wolverine_tech »

Arrow2Knee wrote:There are quite a few guides and info for Linux Mint available. But it's all spread out on this forum. Isn't it good, should we have 1 centralized place, a Wiki for example, with all Mint's knowledge.

This would include: Installation guides, program using files ...

Every tutorial or document that teaches the user a bit more about this OS would go there.

What do you guys think?
While this is a good suggestion, perhaps the community website with its tutorials fulfills this need. Moreover, forum discussions are much better suited for individual issues (specific hardware, unique problems) than a generic wiki. Hopefully, in the future, the community tutorials will evolve into an awesome wiki?
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

There was a Linux Mint Wiki a few years ago, but there was no one who was willing to keep it in some kind of order (at least no one who had the time the job required) and the Wiki ended up getting trashed completely by a truly vicious troll. That was when Clem made the decision to close the Wiki and incorporate most of its functions into the Community Site that was just beginning to be developed.

Now that the forum membership has grown so much it may be time to reestablish the Mint Wiki; if we can get some dedicated volunteers to keep it in shape.
Arrow2Knee

Post by Arrow2Knee »

Aging Technogeek wrote:There was a Linux Mint Wiki a few years ago, but there was no one who was willing to keep it in some kind of order (at least no one who had the time the job required) and the Wiki ended up getting trashed completely by a truly vicious troll. That was when Clem made the decision to close the Wiki and incorporate most of its functions into the Community Site that was just beginning to be developed.

Now that the forum membership has grown so much it may be time to reestablish the Mint Wiki; if we can get some dedicated volunteers to keep it in shape.
I want to do that now, but I'm not sure if that motivation will stay :)
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I have passed this topic and idea upstairs. We will see what happens.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I'd like to help. There's certainly a need for one, the "Tutorials/How-to" forum section can't really replace a good, well-organized wiki, like the one Arch has https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

I'd like to help too. I am no expert on Linux, but if nothing, can at least proof-read, edit and test out the instructions in a tutorial.
I agree - Arch Linux has, what I believe is the best wiki... something on the same lines for Mint would be awesome.
Arrow2Knee

Post by Arrow2Knee »

If necessary, I will lead the whole thing :)
cybeet

Post by cybeet »

If you ask me, (Well, no one asked, but anyway) there is no need for Linux Mint Wiki, since there is Community page, where anyone can review programs and hardware, write tutorials, etc. That could be somewhat confusing, if there is two official resources for Linux Mint-related information. But it might be that other people want Linux Mint Wiki, and that was only my opinion. :) I'm not saying that wiki is completely pointless idea, I just said my opinion why I think that there is no need for it. :)
Gaugamela

Post by Gaugamela »

Would love to see a Mint Wiki and I believe it is a great idea being a newbie to Mint and Linux. :)
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

I also believe a wiki is a good thing...organized and easily searched...right now searching this Mint forums and other forums for answers is extremely time consuming and can turn off some beginners...the mods here are awesome, providing excellent help when asked(thanks again Aged Technogeek) but a wiki with perhaps some screenshots to provide visual reinforcement to noobs like me would be so helpful it cannot be understated...I think things like partitioning, dual booting, linking, and repository apps and their effects etc can be easily shown in wiki form and greatly reduce what can turn out to be basic questions, leaving the forum for more advance issues like hardware and software compatibility issues and concerns.
Gaugamela

Post by Gaugamela »

You couldn't have put it better mate!
One of the things that bugs me the most is having to hunt down on multiple sources for ways on how to solve problems.
RETNUH

Post by RETNUH »

If a wiki is made I'd be willing to work on it.
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

I have a lot of time on my hands these days and would be willing to lend a hand, albeit I'm not too sure how good that hand might be. The forums are a great resource but with the growing user population, the many, many, different ways of configuring the desktop at the moment (Gnome Shell, Mate, Gnome Shell + MGSE, now Cinnamon, and the various flavors of Mint going around, KDE, XFCE, Gnome, and I'm sure others, the forums are getting a bit crowded and disorganized, and answers are getting harder to find. To put it mildly, there's a lot going on. Anything with the potential to get things more organized and answers easier to find is always welcome.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Maybe we should just start an unofficial one and then if Mint decide they want a Wiki again, it can be handed over to the official site?

Edit: done :D https://sites.google.com/site/mintwiki/

Now it only needs contents!
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

bimsebasse wrote:Maybe we should just start an unofficial one and then if Mint decide they want a Wiki again, it can be handed over to the official site?

I like your idea but I'm always a bit worried about non-official things such as this. In particular, if Clem and the rest of the team decide to start a formal, official one, what will happen to this? It would probably be under the Linux Mint domain and until you're certain that they would point their domain for the wiki to that I worry it might end up being a waste of time. At the very least someone would have to copy and paste everything over which could be tedious, certainly not impossible, if yours cannot be integrated somehow and they don't feel comfortable pointing there.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great initiative and wouldn't mind helping out down the road, but for now I think it best if we at least wait a few days to see what Clem's response is about starting an official one again as he has just been asked the question recently. No sense in going through all the work on this one if he'll be ok with an official one next week.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

That's all very good and fine if you're the sort of person who has patience :D I don't worry about it, just happy to fill in a gap. Don't in any way mean this as a sort of competition or breakaway from official Mint or anything of the sort, it's just there because there isn't one. If an official one comes, happy to be merged into it or completely ransacked by it.

Think I read somewhere that the old wiki was taken down because of repeated trolling and abuse.
wei2912

Post by wei2912 »

bimsebasse wrote:Maybe we should just start an unofficial one and then if Mint decide they want a Wiki again, it can be handed over to the official site?

Didn't you have one at wikia?

Anyway skipping that part, your wiki looks rather good. I would be happy to contribute (but what about an edit button, your wiki is meant to be free. Maybe we can record IP addresses of everyone, such that if a troller comes online we can ban his IP from accessing the website).

If you can implement that, I'll certainly join your wiki.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

The wiki proved too much for me to handle, especially now I'm maintaining a Cinnamon PPA and making themes as well. I'd very much like to help and support but not maintain a wiki :D

Still jealous of the Arch wiki - that thing is amazing.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

bimsebasse wrote:That's all very good and fine if you're the sort of person who has patience :D I don't worry about it, just happy to fill in a gap. Don't in any way mean this as a sort of competition or breakaway from official Mint or anything of the sort, it's just there because there isn't one. If an official one comes, happy to be merged into it or completely ransacked by it.

Think I read somewhere that the old wiki was taken down because of repeated trolling and abuse.

It was all before my time but I understand the wiki was repeatedly spammed and vandalised,so much so that it was taken down.

Return to “Programming & Development”