HELP: Linux Mint 13, Gnome Fallback and Mintmenu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ondrejkovic

HELP: Linux Mint 13, Gnome Fallback and Mintmenu

Post by ondrejkovic »

Hallo,

My netbook (Acer Aspire One 250D) UNFORTUNATELY doesn't work properly with Cinnamon (Libre Office causes almost always crash when compiz is in operation), so I must use Gnome Fallback (Gnome-panel in Maya). I also cannot use MATE, because of problems with proxy autentification in my office and problem with keyring (seahorse), which is not possible to automatically autentificate during each start of system.

The last BIG defficience in Gnome 3 Fallback for me is impossibility of use MintMenu which allows search the application in menu by typping. There is only possible to use Basic Menu with only clicking to the each specific item.

Does exist some possibility to install advanced MintMenu to the Gnome Fallback in Maya or allow searching the applications just by typping any other way?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwwgateway

Re: HELP: Linux Mint 13, Gnome Fallback and Mintmenu

Post by cwwgateway »

ondrejkovic wrote:Hallo,

My netbook (Acer Aspire One 250D) UNFORTUNATELY doesn't work properly with Cinnamon (Libre Office causes almost always crash when compiz is in operation), so I must use Gnome Fallback (Gnome-panel in Maya).
Cinnamon doesn't use compiz, but I've heard about a lot of problems with Cinnamon and LibreOffice
Does exist some possibility to install advanced MintMenu to the Gnome Fallback in Maya or allow searching the applications just by typping any other way?
You can't use mintMenu in gnome fallback, but you can use an app launcher like gnome do, synapse, or launchy which allow you to press a key combination and then type the name of the app you're looking for.
ondrejkovic

Post by ondrejkovic »

I've tried everytning recommended above and the Synapse is perfect :-) Many thanks!
ondrejkovic

Post by ondrejkovic »

I've heard about a lot of problems with Cinnamon and LibreOffice
I am really waiting for fix, because the Cinnamon is perfect!
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

ondrejkovic wrote:I've tried everytning recommended above and the Synapse is perfect :-) Many thanks!
I'm glad I could help :)
ondrejkovic wrote: I am really waiting for fix, because the Cinnamon is perfect!
My guess is this will come with Cinnamon 1.5, which, as I understand, is mostly about performance increases and bug fixes.
madroneropaulo

Post by madroneropaulo »

I have the same issue. I used Synapse but it stills not working
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

madroneropaulo wrote:I have the same issue. I used Synapse but it stills not working
What isn't working?
madroneropaulo

Post by madroneropaulo »

cwwgateway wrote:
madroneropaulo wrote:I have the same issue. I used Synapse but it stills not working
What isn't working?
Ok, sorry, i mean, writer stills crashing all system. After a few seconds (sometimes a few minutes) writer freezes all. The only option is restarting the computer. (I use cinnamon latest version, all updates installed)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

madroneropaulo wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:
What isn't working?
Ok, sorry, i mean, writer stills crashing all system. After a few seconds (sometimes a few minutes) writer freezes all. The only option is restarting the computer. (I use cinnamon latest version, all updates installed)
Ok, synapse wasn't going to fix any problems with Cinnamon. The OP said that he was going to use the fallback mode because of problems with Cinnamon, but that he wanted something to launch applications using search (like the mint menu). That's what synapse does - it launches applications.

Return to “Software & Applications”