Xubuntu-based Mint again?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cjrl

Xubuntu-based Mint again?

Post by cjrl »

From the blog announcing the release of Mint 13 RC:

"Ken Scharf Says:
May 16th, 2012 at 5:19 pm
Great news! I’m waiting for the KDE version, guess the first RC for that will come out after the final version on the Mate/Cinnamon edition does. If 13 KDE is as good as 12 was all will be right with the world!
Edit by Clem: I won’t give any ETA, but we’re planning KDE and Xfce editions next and I’d like them to be released at the same time."

So are we again going to have a Xubuntu-based Mint edition? I hope so. LMDE (Xfce) is a bit more fiddly for me than I want for a day-to-day desktop, so I'm using Xubuntu which is a great distro, especially so considering the small teams at Xfce and Xubuntu. But I'd love to return to Mint Xfce and I hope merlwiz79 will again be involved in its maintenance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwwgateway

Re: Xubuntu-based Mint again?

Post by cwwgateway »

cjrl wrote:From the blog announcing the release of Mint 13 RC:

"Ken Scharf Says:
May 16th, 2012 at 5:19 pm
Great news! I’m waiting for the KDE version, guess the first RC for that will come out after the final version on the Mate/Cinnamon edition does. If 13 KDE is as good as 12 was all will be right with the world!
Edit by Clem: I won’t give any ETA, but we’re planning KDE and Xfce editions next and I’d like them to be released at the same time."

So are we again going to have a Xubuntu-based Mint edition? I hope so. LMDE (Xfce) is a bit more fiddly for me than I want for a day-to-day desktop, so I'm using Xubuntu which is a great distro, especially so considering the small teams at Xfce and Xubuntu. But I'd love to return to Mint Xfce and I hope merlwiz79 will again be involved in its maintenance.
We're going to see an Ubuntu based Mint 13 I think. I don't think that it will be based on Xubuntu, though - Mint usually builds everything off of Ubuntu, not it's derivatives (for example the KDE edition is also built off of Ubuntu, not Kubuntu). Also, I'm not sure if merlwiz will be part of this release cycle. Merlwiz had to move 900 miles and his laptop didn't have 3d acceleration - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 04#p523095. Lately, most of the old maintainers haven't been there. Boo hasn't submitted an ISO since Mint 11 KDE (that ISO never finished testing) and Kendall's last ISO was a Debian Fluxbox edition 8 months ago. These maintainers weren't paid, though, so their personal lives come first.
LanceHaverkamp

Post by LanceHaverkamp »

When Gnome turned "weird" I started looking around. I saw no real difference between Mint+xfce and xubuntu, so I just started using xubuntu. I too would prefer a debian base over ubuntu, but I've found mint+debian far less reliable than either pure debian or mint+ubuntu. Ergo: I keep using Xubuntu. But please let me know if there's something I'm missing by not using mint+xfce.

Lance
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

I prefer LMint (Ubuntu version) I'll probally switch to a new (LMint13)XFCE spin. :P

I just wish LMint had a easier upgrade path! Unless I'm missing something MintBackup copies the installed package list and re installs onto fresh install.

But what happens when dependencies, packages renamed, ect happen (alacarte is good example it uses to bring in a lot of Gnome libs, now don't) I Want to back up by Apps I don't care about (new/old) dependicies ect.)! :x

J.Jay

Edit Sorry spelling again :oops:

Edit P.S. LMint's XFCE spin was never based on Xubuntu, always built up from Ubuntu minimal install (I think)

Return to “Xfce”