how do I install lmd 12 on ssd and separate drive for /home?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Phil Smith

how do I install lmd 12 on ssd and separate drive for /home?

Post by Phil Smith »

Hi Mint Community:

Currently, I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed as follows:

On my 64G SSD, I've got the /boot /swap and / (root) directory.

On my 1TB HD, I've got the /home directory (THIS HD HAS ALL OF MY DATA).

I want to install Linux Mint Debian 12 (LMD12).

How do I install DMD12 so that:

1. the /boot /swap and / (root) directory is on the SSD, AND
2. the /home directory is on the 1TB HD?

Ideally, I don't want to format the 1 TB HD during installation, if I can safely avoid it. However, I wondered it might be a good idea to simply format the 1TB HD with /home to get rid of old Ubuntu hidden files and directories.... I have a 2nd 1TB HD that has a back up of everything on the 1TB HD that holds my /home directory.

What should I do?

THank you!
Phil de Duluthistan, GA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: how do I install lmd 12 on ssd and separate drive for /h

Post by zerozero »

I want to install Linux Mint Debian 12 (LMD12).
that is going to be an impossible task :D such release doesn't exist.
what you have is LMDE [date of the latest respin], like LMDE-201204, LMDE is always release 1 and if you think this is minor, it's not :wink: , the numbering you are referring to is typical ubuntu/mint-main ed influence and as soon as you start realizing that LMDE is a different beast the better 8)

re. the other question:
- i'm afraid it's not possible atm, at least not ootb, the installer doesn't give you the option to use more than one disk for installation; but you can follow this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=84419

other thing: i strongly advise you not to use the old home (from the 10.04 install), the changes are way to many between both releases and you are going into a nightmare of conflicting config files.
Phil Smith

howdoi install mint on ssd and home on another hd?

Post by Phil Smith »

Hi MInt Community:

I want to install LMDE as follows:

I want grub, root, and swap on my SSD, and I want home on another HDD.

How do I do this?

Thank you!
Phil

ps. I've asked this previously, and a respondent just said I'm stupid, didn't provide any concrete advice, and the discussion died. SO, I started the thread again. Sorry. I will be grateful for your advice.
zerozero

Re: howdoi install mint on ssd and home on another hd?

Post by zerozero »

Phil Smith wrote:
ps. I've asked this previously, and a respondent just said I'm stupid, didn't provide any concrete advice, and the discussion died. SO, I started the thread again. Sorry. I will be grateful for your advice.
just for reference the other topic is this one http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 37#p584737
and i would like you to point in there where i said such a thing.
furthermore according to the forum rules you shouldn't double-post, specially since your question was already answered in the other topic :wink:
[topics merged]
crborga

Post by crborga »

I believe you can salvage your current /home by running

Code: Select all

cd ~
rm -r .*
which should remove the current /home settings (not your data) just make sure you add that period or you will wipe it clean lol
Phil Smith

Post by Phil Smith »

Hi Forums:

I had hoped to migrate to LMDE.

However, please read the responses I received to my queries in this thread.

First, I got a "wisenheimer" remark... and no practical guidance. That is, the respondent did the dignify my query with a serious reply with useful information.

So, I tried another time. With a new thread. I got an adminisment that double posts are discouraged. Still, no useful information....

Finally, I received a reply that I should change to my home director

cd ~

and then do a

rm -r .*

Just think what would happen if a total newbie tried this and screwed up the rm command.

I feel that Mint has great potential, and had hoped for more serious replies to my query.

Phil

Howe
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

You're way to arrogant to get an answer here Phil Smith. You haven't read the release notes about LMDE, and I am sure you don't understand what this is (LMDE12 and question about the home folder for example)...

ZeroZero is one of the best in the Linux Mint Community, always nice with people, and everything he is saying is always right (or almost :mrgreen: )
You should probably begin by understanding what is LMDE, how it works and that it's not for everyone.

Then, you would probably read the post of ZeroZero again and understand it. Finally I wish you success installing the Mint Debian Edition on one disk or on several...

Return to “LMDE Archive”