Poll: Desktop environments

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.

Which desktop environments do you use?

Cinnamon
30%
Fluxbox, OpenBox, Blackbox, *box
3%
Gnome Fallback
3%
Gnome Shell
9%
KDE
11%
LXDE
6%
MATE
19%
Other non-listed DE (Enlightenment, Trinity, RazorQT, ROX) or not using or planning to use any of the DEs listed in this poll.
2%
Unity
4%
Xfce
13%

Total votes: 4983

steviejay

Re: Poll: Desktop environments

Post by steviejay »

I'm using Mint 13 Cinnamon. It was a little bit glitchy with the ATI drivers installed but I removed them and it's running great now with no noticable difference...job's a good 'un! Image
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

MATE simply works .. :wink:

Cinnamon feels like a poor man MATE .. :lol:

KDE is too candy for working .. :shock:

Gnome shell is .... unfinished .. :lol:
paraquat

Post by paraquat »

I voted for both LXDE and Cinnamon. Actually, I'm only using Cinnamon on my wife's computer - she likes all the bells and whistles. For myself, speed is a big issue and LXDE delivers. No doubt I'm partly influenced by the fact that my computer is a relatively lame 32-bit ASUS eeePC netbook while my wife has a much more powerful 64-bit machine.

I'm sorry to hear that LM is discontinuing LXDE, but I understand the difficulty of maintaining so many interfaces. Better to concentrate on one thing and do it well. For now, my netbook is running the latest Lubuntu.

I'm keeping my eye on Enlightenment too. It's promising, but needs more work, especially when it comes to how it handles Pulseaudio. Bodhi Linux has embraced Enlightenment like no other distro. It's still a small project, but it's one to keep an eye on, especially for the purpose of my netbook which will probably never be able to run Cinnamon fast enough to make me happy.

I tried the mess that is Unity and Gnome 3, and concluded that those projects are barking up the wrong tree. Don't know what the developers were thinking when they came up with that. So much effort put into half-baked interfaces when they already had something much better. Go figure.
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

paraquat wrote:I voted for both LXDE and Cinnamon.
Didn't know I could cast more than one vote,in that case I would have voted for Mate(because it's Gnome 2 continued),Cinnamon (because it's new and promising) and Gnome fallback(dumb,but at least sort of usable),basically anything not Gnome 3.
paraquat wrote: I tried the mess that is Unity and Gnome 3, and concluded that those projects are barking up the wrong tree. Don't know what the developers were thinking when they came up with that. So much effort put into half-baked interfaces when they already had something much better.
Exactly :wink:
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

oobetimer wrote:KDE is too candy for working .. :shock:
I beg to differ. I use KDE daily and it's a breeze to work in, in fact I bolt it on top of LMDE any time I rebuild my laptop simply because it's so easy to use. (I guess I can be kind of rough on a laptop, plus it took me a while to learn I need more than 9 gigs of hard drive partition for my root directory.) Yes, there's some tasty eye candy in KDE, especially with Bespin added, but all work and no play makes Tux a very dull penguin.

I'm still holding out hope that clem will put out Mint KDE on a Debian base one of these versions. It will make a good number of us very happy.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

BostonPeng wrote:it took me a while to learn I need more than 9 gigs of hard drive partition for my root directory
Why? Doesn't seem to be the case here, currently running KDE in 4 different distros.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I end up installing enough that I get out of room errors when I try to install apps, and I think also on updates but I don't remember if it happened then or not. I think part of my problem is needing to run 32-bit apps on a 64-bit system, and that's part of the problem. Or maybe I'm just trying to install too many apps in the first place. I do love installing additional packages for apps and debuging symbols. 8)
mintymintminty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintymintminty »

Just cast my vote :)
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

MALsPa wrote:
BostonPeng wrote:it took me a while to learn I need more than 9 gigs of hard drive partition for my root directory
Why? Doesn't seem to be the case here, currently running KDE in 4 different distros.
This morning I remembered something that's causing me to need so much room in my root partition. I'm running LMDE but I bolt KDE on top of it so I end up with packages for two DEs. In the past I've removed some of the GNOME apps to free up space (pre MATE and Cinnamon) but I haven't taken that path yet with the current install. I'm hoping to try a reinstall of LMDE today to switch to 32-bit and hopefully that alone will free up space so I can get some additional debug packages installed. For some silly reason I like getting the debug symbols installed so if something doesn't play nicely I can try to file a bug report on it, especially with my running a non-standard install by adding KDE to LMDE.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

BostonPeng wrote:
MALsPa wrote:
This morning I remembered something that's causing me to need so much room in my root partition. I'm running LMDE but I bolt KDE on top of it so I end up with packages for two DEs. In the past I've removed some of the GNOME apps to free up space (pre MATE and Cinnamon) but I haven't taken that path yet with the current install. I'm hoping to try a reinstall of LMDE today to switch to 32-bit and hopefully that alone will free up space so I can get some additional debug packages installed. For some silly reason I like getting the debug symbols installed so if something doesn't play nicely I can try to file a bug report on it, especially with my running a non-standard install by adding KDE to LMDE.
Oh, I see. I often add another DE or WM to log into, but it's been a long time since I've had both GNOME and KDE on the same system -- back well before KDE4. No doubt GNOME + KDE takes up a lot more space than the combos I'll typically have here -- KDE + Xfce, or GNOME + Openbox, for example.

Also, while I generally go with 7 GB for / and 5 GB for /home (with a couple of separate, large data partitions), when I asked the question I didn't stop to think that maybe I have far fewer other things installed (apps, etc.) than you, allowing me to get by with smaller / partitions.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

MALsPa wrote:Oh, I see. I often add another DE or WM to log into, but it's been a long time since I've had both GNOME and KDE on the same system -- back well before KDE4. No doubt GNOME + KDE takes up a lot more space than the combos I'll typically have here -- KDE + Xfce, or GNOME + Openbox, for example.

Also, while I generally go with 7 GB for / and 5 GB for /home (with a couple of separate, large data partitions), when I asked the question I didn't stop to think that maybe I have far fewer other things installed (apps, etc.) than you, allowing me to get by with smaller / partitions.
Don't feel bad, I often forget I have something other than KDE on this box myself. Tux knows how seldom I log in to anything but KDE. :lol:
ldvalle

Post by ldvalle »

How can it's possible 28% for Cinnamon, when the own statistics says 1%. ???
Just, see the map on this link

http://community.linuxmint.com/
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

ldvalle wrote:How can it's possible 28% for Cinnamon, when the own statistics says 1%. ???

If you take a closer look, you'll notice that those are old numbers. Or, maybe not so old, but the 1% is for the "Cinnamon Edition."
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

ldvalle wrote:How can it's possible 28% for Cinnamon, when the own statistics says 1%. ???

Because the option to choose the Cinnamon edition was added this week, and people don't bother to change their profile. Remember that according to that map 27% of people use the x64 bit edition, and that's not an edition anymore (it's considered part of the main edition), 3.1% of people are using the Universal Edition which doesn't exist anymore, etc. People don't change their profile to say which edition they are using.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

dalcde wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:

Because the option to choose the Cinnamon edition was added this week, and people don't bother to change their profile. Remember that according to that map 27% of people use the x64 bit edition, and that's not an edition anymore (it's considered part of the main edition), 3.1% of people are using the Universal Edition which doesn't exist anymore, etc. People don't change their profile to say which edition they are using.
And people aren't 100% honest. We have 1610 people using Debian (left graph) but 1043 people using LMDE (right graph) at the moment.
Yeah, but the right graph has the option for LMDE, x64, and Xfce. So if I run Debian x64, I choose Debian and then x64. I have no idea what to do if I run Debian Xfce x64.
windsphere

Mate

Post by windsphere »

After using both Cinnamon and Mate I choose Mate. It is the most like the old gnome II and is easy and quick to use. It has also a Caja terminal and is a fork of nautilus terminal, which I like very much. It also has all the same bars and add-ons. Mate also has the Mint search for your program in the menu. This will be the one Linux Mint I will be installing for all those transitioners and timers (old and feeble users who just want it to work). Love Mint and a big thanks to the Mint crew.
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mint-me »

Cinnamon here working fairly stable. In Mint 12 I used Gnome Shell, and Cinnamon works similarly in Mint 13, and even faster for me. Only complaint, is I really miss the Favorite Menu items appearing on left of screen when using "hotspot", it would save a click each time I launch an app. Is anyone thinking of making an extension for this?
Debian 11 Bullseye Xfce: HP Notebook 15 BS143TU Intel® Core™ i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz, Intel® UHD Graphics 620, 1366x768 15.6", 1 TB SATA
BBOSAK2143

Post by BBOSAK2143 »

As I listed on my first post on another topic in this forum, I absolutely love the Cinammon desktop. Unfortunately, I am unable to use the KDE desktop due to a glitch with my video drivers and KDE. Still as I have seen KDE is alright, but prefer the CInammon desktop. I love having the YLMF 4.0 look to this entire situation. Loved their system's looks, but unfortunately command lines don't work. Also 4.0 can not upgrade(or next to impossible) to 3.0.2 so is now a dinosaur, before anyone realized it actually existed! As these Chinese OS developers struggle to get YLMF 5.0 past its beta stage to a realease, there is the chance it will also turn dinosaur quickly, especially when Mint has had great success with this kernel 3.2! Their packaging idea has great potential and would be great to be implemented on our side. There's problems with repositories on our side and I just want to add this suggestion. When choosing a higher functioning program is best to get from the developers that have specifically designed it for your architecture! Remember we are all human and make mistakes! Was my first mistake on "Maya" was to select Virtualbox thru software manager. Version that installed malfunctioned so had to reinstall thru Oracles site. The reprocussions are as stated above, no more KDE desktop! As I am still young to Linux systems(2months) I am not a pro to fix the problem! Not that I regret it, since I like this type desktop! Just figured would share a little beware on the software manager. Small programs are generally not a problem, is just the more complicated ones like Virtualbox, Wine and Video drivers for motherboard combo type! Since I have read a lot of documentation on this, I have come to believe sometimes the source of the program is the best place to go for it!
Penurious Penguin

Post by Penurious Penguin »

Aside from the bugs, Mate is a huge relief after losing Gnome2 to Unity/Gnome3 and I was thrilled to discover it. Cinnamon is also quite impressive but could use a few options to tone it down a bit, and a few more options in general. Yes, I found it a little shy of options, but impressive overall. The panel would be my primary complaint, with it's wandering minimized windows lurching out to invisible infinity. I could think of more, but developers for both Cinnamon and Mate have a lot of appreciation from a lot of users and spared millions from the wrath of narcissistic rubbish. I still have to put in a kind word for xfce though, it really is close to being quite good. When I'm up for a new learning curve, I think I'll explore Awesome; I've heard great things about it from very serious users.

Ubuntu's recent choices kind of remind me of being kicked out of my comfortable home when I was younger. It forced me into the real world and helped me discover other things, amongst them Arch and Mint.
rickm1945

Post by rickm1945 »

I'm using LM13 Maya on my desktop, but I'm planing on using LM13 Cinnamon on my laptop, provided the B43 firmware/driver problem is solved. I do hope it canbe corrected on the live dvd, since I can not boot the install.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”