problem mounting network shares with local name [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
nspboarderdude

problem mounting network shares with local name [SOLVED]

Post by nspboarderdude »

I just upgraded my desktop to LMDE 64-bit from Mint 10 Gnome 64-bit. I am trying to mount a network share on my home server. On Mint 10 I had /etc/fstab configured to mount the shares with the local name "fileserver.local." However, now on LMDE it will not mount. Mounting using an ip address, such as 192.168.1.2, works.

I suspect something is wrong with more than /etc/fstab. To double check, I tried connecting with vncviewer and got similar results (I was able to connect using the ip but not fileserver.local).

More clues: I am able to connect via vncviewer using fileserver.local with my laptop running Mint 12 (64-bit cinnamon). Also, mounting shares on my desktop with ip addresses did not work until I installed smbfs.

I am trying to use the local name over ips. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: problem mounting network shares with local name

Post by altair4 »

Is avahi running?

Code: Select all

sudo service avahi-daemon status
If not start it:

sudo service avahi-daemon start
EDIT: It could also be that port 5353 is not open.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: problem mounting network shares with local name

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
nspboarderdude

Re: problem mounting network shares with local name [SOLVED]

Post by nspboarderdude »

Thanks for your response. It appears that it was a problem with DNS. For anyone interested, here is what I did:

I noticed a difference in the /etc/nsswitch.conf files of my laptop and desktop. My desktop had a line that read

hosts:    files dns
and my laptop had

hosts:   files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
I changed the the nsswitch.conf file of the desktop to match that of the laptop, which gave the desired result.

Return to “LMDE Archive”