EPSON not printing duplex

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PGsm

EPSON not printing duplex

Post by PGsm »

Hi there,
I have an all-in-one ink-jet EPSON printer model SX535WD. It is supposed to be printing duplex (two sided automatic printing) but that option is greyed out in the printing interface of Mint 13. In Windows 7 it doesn't create any problems and the same for Ubuntu 11.10 before I cleared it up for Mint 13. I've also downloaded the Linux drivers from EPSON's website. Can someone give me an insight?
Appreciate any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: EPSON not printing duplex

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
SidharthaXx

Post by SidharthaXx »

If anyone could shed any light on this I'd appreciate it... because I have exactly the same issue.

Different model on Epson printer, but I am also missing some key functionality of the all-in-one including duplex printing.

I too downloaded the linux drivers from the Epson website - installed as a deb package. They don't seem to have changed anything or provided me with more printer options.

Help appreciated.
NRI

Post by NRI »

It doesn't seem to be just an Epson problem. The duplex printing also doesn't work on an HP OfficeJet J6480. Regular printing works fine, just the front and back doesn't. When I checked in the printer dialog, duplex isn't available as an option.

Running LMDE - MATE 32 bit

Thanks for any suggestions that you may have about this.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: EPSON not printing duplex: try CUPS interface

Post by pdc_2 »

paste this

http://localhost:631/printers/

into a webpage;

(it is the CUPS management interface, and is only opened on your computer so is advised to be safe by all)

it should show your printers;

for my Canon MG3160, I clicked on it; and found duplex was not set up there;

perhaps for you it is the same; if you select duplex in the default options, and do all the usual clicking to accept and closing, does it now work for you?
SidharthaXx

Post by SidharthaXx »

Thanks. But can't see a duplex option for mine... even though I'm using it nicely under Windows.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: EPSON not printing duplex: see CUPS

Post by pdc_2 »

http://localhost:631/printers/

select relevant printer by clicking on blue text to left

select administration; section drop-box selection near top of screen (See screenshot.png)

from there: select "Select Default Options": 4 down on my screen

now see Screenshot-1.png

bottom of offerings (on my screen) says Duplex Printing

how about for you?
SidharthaXx

Post by SidharthaXx »

I can post a screen shot, but the duplex option simply doesn't seem to exist on mine.

I am doing exactly what you describe.
SidharthaXx

Post by SidharthaXx »

I found this, not sure yet if it will help...

http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/downl ... kjet/escp/
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

perhaps you tell us the model of your epson printer;

you seem to have installed a driver fine; not sure if your latest find advances your case: all you can do is delete what you have already installed and try this one instead...

you say your current install doesn't show up as having a duplex option;

my suspicion is that the software Epson provides does not offer a duplex option;

and that is where the option in CUPS comes from .............

my Canon MG3160 does; and I assume the software canon provides has this duplex option within it............so when you say you can't see it... you are right !!
SidharthaXx

Post by SidharthaXx »

Hey,

My model is epson bx635fwd... not sure if that helps?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so i guess you went to this page

http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/downl ... kjet/escp/

and it looks for the bx635fwd they recommend what they call the 201106w drivers as a .deb package; either 32bit or 64bit

when I see reviews of your very good printer

https://www.epson.co.uk/Store/Printers- ... e-BX635FWD

it surprises me if Epson (avasys) did not offer a duplex function
aldisdemon

Post by aldisdemon »

Install printer driver properly, downloaded the linux drivers from the Epson website - installed as a deb package. They don't seem to have changed anything or provided me with more printer options. :cry:
fpeelo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fpeelo »

I just got an Epson WF-3520DWF. I also could not get duplex to work at all. The driver was epson-inkjet-printer-201212w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_i386.deb downloaded from
http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... archModule

Now it sort of works...

In CUPS, I selected the printer, then from the Administration dropdown I selected Set Default Options.

Then the bit that was not mentioned before in this thread - there are links across the top of that CUPS page, "Paper & Quality Options", "Reduce/Enlarge Document", "Auto Duplex Printing", "Multi-Page", etc. Click on "Auto Duplex Printing". Now there are 2 options: "Duplex Printing - Binding Edge:" and "Adjust Print Density:".

I selected one of the "on" options in the "Duplex Printing - Binding Edge:"

Now EVERYTHING comes out duplex. That's not so good either. If I am in LibreOffice, and I select File|Print, select the Epson printer, click the Properties button, I can select Duplex on (top or side) or off, and it makes No Difference At All!!

Am wondering where to turn next...

(Haven't tried the scanner in the printer yet, that will be another day's fun)
fpeelo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fpeelo »

Just want to post a follow-up.

The problem seems to be in LibreOffice, not in the printer, the driver, etc.

If I try to print a web page from Firefox, for example, I can select duplex and it works. it also works when I try to print a PDF.

But if I try to print from LibreOffice, it doesn't matter what I set in the print dialog, the default settings are used.

Should this thread be marked [Solved]? The problem is not in the Epson or in the driver. On the other hand, it's not solved either because LibreOffice is not doing the right thing, and that's likely where most people will be printing from.

Frank

p.s. the scanner on this WF-3520 printer works nicely too, although the driver that I needed to install from Epson wasn't free as in speech. Only free as in beer. If that matters. The printer wasn't free either (at least as in beer, but I guess it's somewhat free as in speech, no laws to stop me taking it apart with a hammer. Not that I would do that, having paid for it.)

Return to “Printers & Scanners”