Run Program mintMenu Feature

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
AlexSlocker

Run Program mintMenu Feature

Post by AlexSlocker »

I think it would be great to make the search bar of the mintMenu also a launch bar. I mean, if I'm looking for Firefox or GIMP, for example, I wrote down 'firefox' or 'gimp' but instinctly I press enter hoping the program to launch. So just include this feature should be great. Maybe make it resemble to Alt+F2 tool, but with search option. Because perhaps I can't remember which command I need to write to launch a program, but I remember his name or description. And it's quite disgusting when I found a program that I have to take de mouse, go to the button, click and then launch it.
Husse

Re: Run Program mintMenu Feature

Post by Husse »

You can type just a few letters and see a selection of a few programs - then click the right one
Thats how I use it.
To do it "your way" would mean typing the whole name....
AlexSlocker

Post by AlexSlocker »

I didn't explained it properly then. What I meant is just type a few letters and then mintMenu start to search, like it does right now. For example, if I put 'fire', then mintMenu just show me Firefox, so, when I press enter, and, as Firefox it's just the only application that matches the 'fire' I wrote, then it launches. The problem will be when there are more than one application that matches the query I wrote. It happens if we write 'net' for example, there are 3 or 4 matches. In that case we have what is working right now, which is if I press up and down cursor keys I can move through the found applications, and when I've selected the one I want, just press enter and it goes.

So, the change I propose, it's just when there's only 1 application that matches the query, just by pressing enter (without going with cursor keys) the application launches.

I am not programmer, and I understand conceptually it's easy to do, but what I don't know is what this change would affect at code level. Because if you have to rewrite mintMenu from scratch, obviously doesn't worth at all to introduce the change. I just make this feature request if it is easy to implement the idea in the code.

I hope this time is clear!
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

When you type into the search field you can use the up arrow key to choose one of the results.

So if you are attempting to launch Firefox you type F-I-R-E then hit the up arrow and then enter. And Firefox launches--you don't need to resort to the mouse.
--john

Edit: Oops...I see that you have already discounted my "solution"--I should read the posts better before responding.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”