Mate vs. Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hbilke

Mate vs. Cinnamon

Post by hbilke »

Hi fellas,

after searching and reading I would try both myself. Just to be sure: May I install MATE-edition first and then add Cinnamon via apt-get or is it better the other way round? And after my decision any problems to arise if I deinstall the other DE?

Greetings from Kassel, Hesse

HrY
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
crborga

Re: Mate vs. Cinnamon

Post by crborga »

No, you shouldn't have any issues as I have removed and installed both with no problems. Also, I have converted my system to KDE and still have no problems.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Hm... What's my tally on post-install added DEs, again? 8)
I can tell you, WITH YEARS OF EXPERIENCE, that it's perfectly safe to install other DEs after installing one edition. (As 'perfectly safe' as the distribution is in general, at any rate.) The thing you need to watch out for is installing all the components you may need, or you won't be anywhere near the Mint Cinnamon experience. That's all, really. There are default settings and desktop/panel layouts that you shouldn't miss out on (or you'll have to set up the new DE on your own; believe me when I say that installing KDE manually (i.e. not selecting kubuntu-desktop first thing) over an Ubuntu GNOME installation isn't for the faint of heart), but there are no laws or defined best practices.
A DE is a DE - not strictly speaking a system component. If you remove one DE, software designed to work with that specific desktop will, of course, not work - but any sane package manager will set things up so that packages depending on one DE will be removed along with the DE, if THAT is removed. (You'll only observe this with GNOME and KDE, though - most software in Mint uses GTK+ 2 or 3.)

Just... One big JUST IN CASE: IF problems arise and you can't log in (double check your session in the display manager!), do not fear the terminal (Ctrl + F-keys). It'll have full internet access, so you can install/reinstall/update packages from there.
Tinker to your heart's content, but try not to get carried away.
hbilke

Post by hbilke »

Ok, thanks to all contributors.

"ready to install, scotty" :-))

HrY

Return to “Beginner Questions”