GLSlideshow in Xscreensaver does not work

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Joe151

GLSlideshow in Xscreensaver does not work

Post by Joe151 »

Hello to all,

I'm new here, though I have tried out Linux several times before. (Ubuntu, openSUSE, Linux Mint)
Now I installed Mint 13 with Cinnamon desktop. Everything is fine so far, except the glslideshow screensaver is not working properly. It always shows the same picture.
Two screenshots attached.

What is going wrong? Does anybody know this picture showing in the preview window?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Joe151

Re: GLSlideshow in Xscreensaver does not work

Post by Joe151 »

Unfortunately, this didn't help.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help!
flytiger

Post by flytiger »

I have exactly the same problem.. The same imgae as the OP Screenshot is the only one that shows, despite my fiddling with all the parameters..
Any clues?
Lord Aro

Post by Lord Aro »

I feel I should also wade in and say that i am also experiencing the same problem...

I there a relevant (and not outdated) bug report anywhere?
igorV

Post by igorV »

Vozdra people,

I had the same problem with running Maya Cinnamon.

I installed libwww-perl package via package manager or apt-get install libwww-perl and that fixed it up

found the solution here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1979116

hope it all goes well
aebkhuv

Post by aebkhuv »

igorV is absolutely correct.
I recently installed Mint 13 and Mint 14 Cinnamon editions, neither of which came with a menu option for a screensaver slideshow. Installed but absolutely could not get xscreensaver to run the GLSlideshow using the family images in my /home/(user)/Pictures folder; all I could get was a single multi-colored screen test pattern. The other optional screensaver modes (swimming fish, hypertorus,etc.) seemed to run just fine. After two days of installing, uninstalling, searching the Internet and trying every possible option I could think of, I came across igorV's posting to install the libwww-perl package using the package manager, or you can use the terminal to enter "apt-get install libwww-perl". Instant success.
Sea Monkey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sea Monkey »

Getting libwww-perl worked for me until today when the perl packages updated to 5.14.2-13ubuntu0.2. Now it's broken again.

Return to “Cinnamon”