Question for Developers

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Question for Developers

Post by telenux »

This is about the Gnome integration....

I updated my system (accidentally) and the Gnome 3 integration is insane.

Here are two REALLY STUPID features in the newest Gnome.... I don't know what they are called but these 'features' of the windows shrinking instead of minimizing windows. THIS IS INSANE! Just placing the mouse pointer to the upper left corner or thereabouts does it even if you don't want it to. REALLY ANNOYING! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?!?

Also, my 2nd complaint is the 'shut down / reboot' problem. Why not change this idiocy Gnome has done?!? Not everyone wants to use their desktop OS like a mobile device. STOP COPYING UBUNTU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: RE-Discovered 'left SH-ALT' keys provide the 'Power Off' option but it's still a ridiculous procedure which is obviously designed towards a process for more key strokes.

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?!?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Question for Developers

Post by MALsPa »

Problem: You don't like GNOME Shell.

Solution: Don't use it.

Thread: Mark as "Solved."
eric k

Post by eric k »

Is this in reference to LMDE?

It's derived from Debian Testing, their version of Gnome is Testing's version; since Testing is essentially a repo, and not a distro per se, Debian doesn't make any alterations to the "stock" programs contained there. No one at Mint is trying to "make another Ubuntu" with LMDE, especially seeing as one of the selling points of the Debian Edition is that it *doesn't* have an Ubuntu base. Once Gnome 3 entered Testing, LMDE inherited it. It *is* Gnome.

There are a variety of Gnome Shell Extensions available to customize and add functionality to Gnome 3, including one to restore "Shutdown" to the System Menu where it belongs. Since LMDE users are going to modify their installs anyways, given the rolling nature of the Testing repo, I'd say most of your criticisms, valid though some may be, are better directed at the Gnome developers themselves, as it's their changes that will be adopted into Debian as they are released. Clem and the team have done a great job providing a rolling yet stable platform, especially since they went to the Update Pack model; expecting them to provide a plethora of extensions like they did in Mint 12 is a bit much for a distro targeted at more seasoned users that's rolling.

Gnome 3 is what it is, love it or loathe it. Check out the available extensions and see if you have a better experience; if not, you may have to move one.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

telenux, you win the Rant of the Month Award! :lol:

Seriously, GNOME Shell is really great, for those who are okay with it. Unfortunate for you that you accidentally upgraded. Good luck with whatever you decide to do next.

If you want to try using it, check the GNOME Shell Extenstions site (https://extensions.gnome.org/) to see if any of those help. But I only use two of 'em: Alternative Status Menu and Quit Button.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

Yes, I know! :D

But, for Gnome 3 fans, I wonder what the fascination is with it. It seems horrible to me.

I trialed the latest Mint LMDE w/ Cinnamon and MATE LIVE and either one seems fine to me. Heck, the xfce spin is probably miles better than the Gnome 3 one.

Now, I did upgrade to Gnome 3 but the main feature experience should be the same. I just posted my rant wondering why users might choose Gnome 3. :)

I don't see much worth in significant support or wanting to support such an atrocity. :)

I will re-install w/ Cinnamon/MATE soon. Mint devs have done a great job, overall, I think... Well, time will tell when I truly test a new install. But, it can't be worse than the latest Gnome Shell. :D
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

I think you just don't use your system.

I now discovered that I can't delete a directory even when I change to root user.

Also, I couldn't connect to the LMDE (Mint) server. The Mint Community just doesn't doesn't care but they post what donations they got.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

telenux wrote:But, for Gnome 3 fans, I wonder what the fascination is with it. It seems horrible to me.
Aw, it's just one of those things. I remember back when I hated GNOME 2 and wondered why anyone preferred to use it instead of KDE. Then I got used to GNOME, and using it was no big deal. Still, it was never really one of my favorites, and these days I wonder, "Why the fascination with making GNOME 3 look like GNOME 2 (or the fascination with MATE, for that matter)."

But, hey, everybody sees things differently.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”