Making xp boot by default

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lukesedney

Making xp boot by default

Post by Lukesedney »

My system has two drives, and xp is on the main drive and the most recent linux mint on the slave. Currently, in order to boot into XP, I have to switch to xp within ten seconds of the splash screen appearing or it will automatically boot into linux. Is there a way to change this? Other people use this computer that are pretty technically oblivious and it would be a lot easier if action special was required to boot into linux instead of windows.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
idiotkiwi
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Making xp boot by default

Post by idiotkiwi »

I am no expert so someone else may also respond diferently. If so follow their advice.

Go into the terminal change directory to boot/grub and edit your menu.lst file as root (sudo gedit menu.lst)

It will have your Mint as the first entry after all the descriptions and followed by an XP entry.

Highlight and copy your XP entry and paste it into position above the Mint entry. Save and exit.

You should then be able to reboot with XP as the first distro.

If all is OK you can later remove the duplicate XP entry. If not OK you can restore to the original

Regards
Lukesedney

Post by Lukesedney »

Thanks. That worked perfectly.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Ahhh yes, it worked. But It won't keep working. When the kernel is auto updated you will be screwed up.

Go back in to menu.lst and undo what you did. Up toward the top you will see a line, "default 0" change it to, "default 4". That is the correct way.

Fred

Return to “Installation & Boot”