Matching Cinnamon theme to windows theme

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bebber

Matching Cinnamon theme to windows theme

Post by bebber »

I'm trying to match up my Cinnamon theme (currently Ambiance Mint) with my windows theme (currently Mint-X-Metal Dark), and I think they look good together but not sure if they actually match (in terms of colour and design).

This may seem like a trivial point, but it is frustrating that the Cinnamon theme selected by the user is not matched by default in the windows theme.

If anyone has any thoughts on how this could be achieved (or indeed whether there is a way of doing this) I'd be most grateful.

D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
crborga

Re: Matching Cinnamon theme to windows theme

Post by crborga »

Read the comments here as it should help http://askubuntu.com/questions/121387/h ... on-desktop
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper section from Cinnamon
bebber

Post by bebber »

Read the comments here as it should help http://askubuntu.com/questions/121387/h ... on-desktop
Thanks, that is a useful post, but it doesn't address the issue of which (if any) Cinnamon themes are matched with GTK windows themes.
It would be better if the Cinnamon themes were translated directly to the windows themes, giving a unified look to the desktop.

Being new to all this, I do get confused by all the different elements that seem to control the GUI: Cinnamon, MATE, Gnome, GTK, Beryl, Compiz, Unity...the list seems endless.
crborga

Post by crborga »

What you need to find is a Gtk3 and Metacity theme that matches and apply both
bebber

Post by bebber »

Thanks, but that still requires the user to work through hundreds of themes of two kinds, trying to find ones that match.
Should be able to find a single theme you like and apply it, with effect on both the Cinnamon desktop and the windows.

I guess that the situation is an unavoidable consequence of the decentralized nature of Linux development, and should probably stop worrying about it so much :)
crborga

Post by crborga »

Unfortunately, It has been like that as long as I remember using Linux. Searching Gtk3 themes usually makes it easier as allot of the time they come bundled with Cinnamon, Gnome3 themes.
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

bebber wrote:
Thanks, but that still requires the user to work through hundreds of themes of two kinds, trying to find ones that match.
Should be able to find a single theme you like and apply it, with effect on both the Cinnamon desktop and the windows.

I guess that the situation is an unavoidable consequence of the decentralized nature of Linux development, and should probably stop worrying about it so much :)
I think everyone empathizes with how frustrating this can be. This is why I always spend a few minutes every time I get on the forums to check out the Desktop Screenshot thread, so that if I see a Cinnamon + Metacity + GTK+ combo I like, I can ask the posters where they got it. In many cases, they already have that information posted, since the point of the thread is to share such information.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”