Google Chrome vs Firefox in future Mint Releases

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Google Chrome vs Firefox in future Mint Releases

Postby dalcde on Thu May 31, 2012 8:28 am

Here I'm not discussing about the functionalities/pros and cons (I prefer Firefox more), but Flash player will no longer be supported on Linux except on Chrome (and possibly Chromium - I don't know). Will Mint be switching to Chrome then or would we stick to Firefox?
dalcde
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 8:15 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Google Chrome vs Firefox in future Mint Releases

Postby xenopeek on Thu May 31, 2012 4:38 pm

This is not true. Adobe will be maintaining Flash 11.2 on Linux with security/bug-fixes for a period of five years. It is just that newer releases of Flash will not be released by Adobe for Linux. That is not immediately an issue, and it won't become one until websites don't work without features only implemented in newer releases of Flash.

Once it becomes and issue, it might be that a different solution will be available. The Flash included in Google Chrome might be repackaged to work with Firefox, perhaps by writing some add-on or plugin for Firefox as a wrapper. Or perhaps (please let's hope so) Flash will not be relevant any more and we all just use HTML5.

There are also alternatives like Lightspark and Gnash. I'm not sure about Gnash but Lightspark is under heavy development.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Image
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
User avatar
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 13678
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Google Chrome vs Firefox in future Mint Releases

Postby dalcde on Thu May 31, 2012 7:03 pm

Vincent Vermeulen wrote:This is not true. Adobe will be maintaining Flash 11.2 on Linux with security/bug-fixes for a period of five years. It is just that newer releases of Flash will not be released by Adobe for Linux. That is not immediately an issue, and it won't become one until websites don't work without features only implemented in newer releases of Flash.

Once it becomes and issue, it might be that a different solution will be available. The Flash included in Google Chrome might be repackaged to work with Firefox, perhaps by writing some add-on or plugin for Firefox as a wrapper. Or perhaps (please let's hope so) Flash will not be relevant any more and we all just use HTML5.

There are also alternatives like Lightspark and Gnash. I'm not sure about Gnash but Lightspark is under heavy development.


I'm sure using Flash 11.2 will cause many compatibility issues later on. It would be an issue if Adobe introduces large changes (e.g. AS4? ). It probably won't be an immediate issue, but it will come one day.

And from what I've read, Firefox doesn't plan to support the Flash as in Google Chrome unless there is a third-party plugin.
dalcde
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Google Chrome vs Firefox in future Mint Releases

Postby xenopeek on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:57 am

dalcde wrote:And from what I've read, Firefox doesn't plan to support the Flash as in Google Chrome unless there is a third-party plugin.

True, but that is now. Who knows what will happen in 6 months time? That is like Firefox version 22 :wink: I wouldn't worry about it right now, though I fully agree with you that there will come a Flash version that will cause the majority of Flash content to not work with 11.2. But I don't see that happening for most Flash using websites within 6 months.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Image
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
User avatar
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 13678
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Google Chrome vs Firefox in future Mint Releases

Postby ALF13 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:37 pm

Why not you keep Firefox as a default browser and include chrome as a second browser? :)

Plus minus 20-40 Mb aren't something to worry about, are they?
Image
User avatar
ALF13
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:02 pm
Location: Bulgaria

Re: Google Chrome vs Firefox in future Mint Releases

Postby InkKnife on Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:14 pm

I have to say I am uncomfortible using Chrome for a variety of reasons. Primarily Google's pushing their services so agresively on Chrome and my distrust of using a browser built by a data mining operation.
On a more practical note I don't like the way Chrome ignores the system theme and imho, Chrome is ugly as hell.
User avatar
InkKnife
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Google Chrome vs Firefox in future Mint Releases

Postby cwwgateway on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:01 pm

InkKnife wrote:I have to say I am uncomfortible using Chrome for a variety of reasons. Primarily Google's pushing their services so agresively on Chrome and my distrust of using a browser built by a data mining operation.
On a more practical note I don't like the way Chrome ignores the system theme and imho, Chrome is ugly as hell.

I have to agree with you about the theme thing. Chrome, at least with the default theme, is really ugly, but I've found themes that it's looked good with.

On the flash subject, I don't think that over the next 6 months to 1 year there will be a big problem. And, if firefox doesn't work for something, chromium (or chrome) is easy to install. In the long term, I think mint should explore light spark, chrome, and patching firefox. The only problem I see is that flash on Mint 13 will probably break with most websites before support runs out.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Non-technical Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests